Author Topic: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**  (Read 224073 times)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**
« Reply #195 on: July 18, 2008, 05:55:02 PM »
This is probably the beast thread ive ever had the time to read all the way through. its kinda humbling to find the people we look up to for their ability to creat these types of images and writing, conversing from the same level. I find it funny to think that all these artists are on this forum because of how much they like Mr. Sandersons work but as you have probably noticed if you have read this thread, its fairly obviouse that he has become a fan of their art. The ability to watch follow and read these people with great talent at what they do talk to one another about thier skills and what they love is actualy very refreshing. im very new to this whole forum thing this is the first time ive joined one on subject matter so i find this thread alone to be the biggest reason to become a more involved member.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 24, 2008, 06:36:45 PM »
I was so inspired by InkThinker's pieces that I wanted to add something to this thread myself.  I've been drawing in pencil for years but I've never made the jump to color before.  I recently lucked into a rather large Wacom Tablet and I ended up wanting to try that out too.  So here's a Koloss painted in Photoshop with my new tablet. Please feel free to critique as much as you like.  I don't draw or paint for a living but I've been taking feedback on creative works for years. 
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 24, 2008, 06:41:03 PM »
Your biggest problem I would have to say is proportions.  Like, nothing matches up.  Also, I know you haven't done color before, but your texturing could use a lot of work as well.  If those two things could be fixed, I think you would do a great job.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 24, 2008, 06:48:23 PM »
Proportions: I deliberately made him chunkier and with longer thicker arms than a human would have.  Are you saying he doesn't look human or that his proportions aren't internally consistent?

Texturing: Yeah.  Any suggestions?  Not even sure how to start working on that one...
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 24, 2008, 07:19:09 PM »
i think you captured the idea of a kolos very well. i agree that the proportions should intentionallt be altered than those of a human. texture would be nice for accuracy but it isnt neccessary in this case. the only thing that i would maybe attempt would be more detail on the face. in the book these streaches and rips were very prominent on the face making it look less human. but if you were going for a young kolos i think you did a great job and i look forward to more work

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 24, 2008, 07:25:44 PM »
His left arm seems beefier than his right, though that may have to do with the way it's bent. His left leg also looks longer than his right leg, though I suspect this is an optical illusion due to the lack of depth: His left knee is supposed to be bent toward the viewer, but the shading doesn't do enough to help give this impression.

He's bluer than I was assuming from the book, but maybe my mental image is wrong.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 24, 2008, 08:22:37 PM »
His left arm seems beefier than his right, though that may have to do with the way it's bent. His left leg also looks longer than his right leg, though I suspect this is an optical illusion due to the lack of depth: His left knee is supposed to be bent toward the viewer, but the shading doesn't do enough to help give this impression.

He's bluer than I was assuming from the book, but maybe my mental image is wrong.
Yes, this is what I was talking about with the proportions.  Also, the right hand looks a lot longer than the left one.

The blue color is OK.  I had pictured them about that color.

As far as the texturing, that just depends on what program you are using
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 24, 2008, 08:45:36 PM »
yes i had pictured them much lighter blue than that, i think the darkness of the blue is keeping us from seeing some of the shading details on his skin. However the musculature is very cool, i love the pose as well.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 24, 2008, 09:54:11 PM »
I think it would be easier to get depth of field on the legs if he were standing on something.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #204 on: July 24, 2008, 10:47:53 PM »
Wow! There has been some really awesome art posted here lately. Sorry it has taken me so long to comment on it. Skar, I didn't realize you were an artist! You are a man of many talents. Inkthinker, I'm very impressed with your sketches. Do you do commisions? If so email me through my website--I might have a job for you.  -Brandon
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 26, 2008, 06:58:29 AM »
I really like the art in this thread. And I love that it is still being added to and looked through after so long. :) So many talented people are posting art here.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #206 on: July 28, 2008, 08:06:17 AM »
Hey all,

A little loosen-up doodle got complicated on me.

You can check out a larger version here
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 09:22:23 PM by Inkthinker »

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 28, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »
wow, that is very very cool. haha i love the expression and pose on the guy's face.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 28, 2008, 12:30:37 PM »
Very well done once again Inkthinker.

I REALLY think that they were dark blue like Skar drew them. . . . I'm gonna have to check in the book to be sure though.

But I have to go to work for now so I'll have to check that later.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 28, 2008, 03:19:48 PM »
Inkthinker you never dissapoint. those are some awsome drawings and they are close to what i envisioned a Kolos to look like.