Author Topic: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**  (Read 224084 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2008, 11:41:20 PM »
Um... I think not. If your art was not inspired by Brandon's writing, why are you posting it in this thread? This kind of grandstanding is in poor taste.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2008, 02:46:43 AM »
I'll second that--especially because I don't exactly expect (or want) to find pictures of girls in their underwear on TWG. :P
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

~M@rl3E~

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stinky00
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2008, 01:47:17 PM »
Gee, the tone is a little unfriendly.  The pic just made me think of Vin as I was looking at other's art.  Sorry if I offended.  The pic was sketched using the pose from different people in different poses.  The body was of a girl in a bathing suit BTW.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2008, 04:34:46 AM »
I made a new one... I got really bored at work.  It's supposed to be Vin coming out of the mists...

"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Soryn

• Level 3
  • hey hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2008, 07:15:27 AM »
I like it! Especially those mist effects - all rainbowy and awesome!

Chibi Vin strikes again!
Uh, I made something with the intention of doodling and it grew into a full blown pic.
It's Vin with...coins? And...fighting...I don't know. I can't even remember if Vin uses the coins like this.
Behold my use of artistic license!
smaller version
full, original size of 1680X1080

anubis

« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2008, 08:19:11 AM »
hi. im new heres what i got. lol.

Forloc

• Level 2
  • Troll Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Album
WIP
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2008, 12:27:02 AM »
This is a very early WIP.  Updates to follow.  That background was a very long en devour

This one is for you Brandon, when I read Elantris at the recommendation of a friend, I didn't think much, but learned very quickly not to judge a book by it's cover.  Thank you for keeping me on the edge of my seat, bed, and school desk.

I am Gopher Graphics, this is my original work
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 12:45:56 AM by Forloc »

My Photo Album
When you argue with forum trolls, they win.

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2008, 01:16:19 AM »
I have a question that relates to fan art, so I am posting it here.  However, if there is a more appropriate place for it, feel free to locate it there.

Basically, when it comes to things like fan art, how do the legal aspects play into things? 

For instance, what if someone wanted to make something using the symbols from Mistborn (Such as the Wallpaper Brandon posted http://www.brandonsanderson.com/graphics/Mistborn%20Wallpaper%20One%201028.jpg) or Elantris, what are the limits?

What are the restrictions there?  I would assume that if someone draws a picture of what they think Vin looks like, then it's fine.  What about if they include the words "Mistborn" or some of the symbols from Mistborn or Elantris or something in their art?

I'd imagine that you couldn't make something like that to sell, but what if you made a wallpaper to distribute on the net?  What about hiring another artist to help make something for you.  Like if you do an ink drawing using something, can you pay someone to color it?  What about the other way around?

I'd imagine that there are (hopefully) not many legal problems that arise from fan art, but am interested in the rules anyway.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #128 on: February 07, 2008, 03:00:29 AM »
my understanding is as long as it's not for profit there's nothing legally someone could do even if they didn't like people making fan-art, it's fair use, however as soon as you sell that art you could be liable for infringement.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2008, 03:38:08 AM »
The answer is:  It depends.  First off, you have to find out if the thing you are recreating is trademarked (like Mickey Mouse) or not. Most fiction like mine is copyrighted, but the characters are not trademarked. 

The second question is this: Are you creating your own work based on the original work, or are you simply copy and pasting?  For instance, if you're creating a wallpaper are you copying copyrighted images directly, or are you drawing your interpretation of ideas, themes, and people in the books?  The former infringes, the second is in a large gray area. 

You see, US Copyright laws protect 'Derivative works.'  One common form of the derivative work is a collage.  Artists have been upheld in their right to take a bunch of clippings from a magazine, cut them apart, make a collage of pieces, then sell that as a new piece of artwork.  Many people argue that drawing a new work based on your concept of a character is a derivative work, and is protected. 

Question three:  How similar IS your artwork?  If it's inspired by the book, and you're not using any actual copyrighted images, you're in a probable safe zone.  For instance, people who sell T-Shirts with things that look a lot like heart containers from the Zelda games.  Link himself is trademarked, but a heart...a heart can't be trademarked.  Who's to say those heart containers are even from the Zelda games?  The people selling the T-Shirts can hide behind the fact that the shirts don't HAVE to be linked to the games.  (Even though everyone buying them knows exactly what they relate to.)

Question Four: (and this one is probably the most important) What are your intentions?  As has been mentioned, if you're not seeking to make any money off of the artwork and you're not at risk of diluting or defaming the actual copyrighted work, then it's likely nobody will care.  It would be stupid of companies to chase down people who make wallpapers based on their properties, since those wallpapers act as free publicity, and the people making them aren't trying to earn money off of them.  If you were selling posters of that image, you might draw attention--but, then, for reasons argued above you could have a strong argument on your side.  (Assuming you wanted to pay the legal fees to fight the person trying to stop you.)

Question five:  What does the author/creator think?  Some people fight fanfiction (and to a lesser extent) fanart because they feel it dilutes their property too much.  Me, I'm flattered, and have no object to fanart.  Fanfiction is more sticky, since authors risk getting sued over their own books with fanfiction.  I've written an explanation on the Warbreaker rights page. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2008, 05:14:57 AM »
So that prompts me to ask this: Can someone (say on dev-art) who got commissioned to do a fan-art piece for a book or something get in trouble?  They got paid to do what someone else requested, and the request was fan art?  Would that mostly be up to the original creator (author/artist/whatever)?
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2008, 05:31:00 AM »
Most likely, it's okay.  There's a CHANCE they might go after you, but only if they're a large corporation (Disney) who is militant about protecting their brands. 

However, chances are good that in such a lawsuit if you were able to fight (i.e. you had the money and the desire) you would win unless you were using a distinctly trademarked character.  Example: I've seen people selling sketches they did from the Lord of the Rings movies.  This is protected by law, since watching a movie and sketching the people in it is considered creating a derivative work which does not compete with the movie itself.  However, creating a drawing of Mickey Mouse and selling it could be argued another way, since you're copying a distinctly trademarked character who is already animated.

However, I'm not the expert on this, and I'm not really intending to give legal advice or anything like that.  This is just the way I understand it, though I have looked into the matter a little bit, so I know more than the common person.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2008, 07:23:59 AM »
Cool.  I was mostly just cerious... but still, thank you for answering our questions.  It's weird/cool to see how the laws work.

Felastizairu

• Level 3
  • Defies gravity, and therefore physics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2008, 04:55:10 AM »
Ok, I went on this fan art rampage and did a couple things... I'm still trying to decide if I like it or not... and I really wish I had Photoshop so I could give it some color... but oh well!  Here's what I did with my weekend:

I thought it might be fun to do Elend, since he's one of my favorite characters and no one else has so far.  I even tried to put him in period dress.  But like I said, I have mixed feelings about it.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
~Thomas

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2008, 07:01:20 AM »
Your picture of Elend is pretty good.  It does remind me of another picture I've seen tho.

For those of us that are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (or Mormons if you prefer) you may also recognize it.

This is by no means a slam on your effort or art.  It just reminds me of this picture.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-