Author Topic: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**  (Read 224241 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Art of Sanderson: Usagi the Fan-Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 10:40:50 PM »
For the women, I actually went a little bit earlier, choosing more medieval style gowns.  Corsets are overused in fiction of this style, and I was feeling bugged by them, so I stayed away.  Gowns with lots of petticoats to make them flare at the skirt, then tight through the waist and bust, often with ornate sleeves.  Not full blown, overdone renaissance sleeves mind you.

Actually, to be honest, I mashed modern prom dresses with medieval dresses, and came up with a hybrid in my mind.  A couple of modern gowns I used as a reference:

That Kelsier looks pretty good, though as I said, Kelsier didn't often go with the full suit--he was more casual than many.  Breeze always has on his full vest and coat, but Kelsier would often do without either.  In the early chapter where he meets Dox on the wall, however, he would have dressed like that.  Personally, I also envision him with hair curling down rather than going back, but that's a matter of personal imagery, and I don't know that I talked about it much in the text.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

candylion

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 10:49:41 PM »
Curling down? It's disheveled, I know, but I'm a little confused with that description.

Those dresses really make everything alot easier for me, thanks so much. More like debutante...ish. I had alot of fun with that suit, I think I'm going to be enjoying drawing the rest of them, just for those suits.

Haha.

Anywho, that Kelsier was like my first Vin, jsut a prototype a sketch. by my third Vin it got alot better, although she was in a semi-shift...thing. So, the next one will be better. It's really nice to get feedback from the actual author, leaves less room to deter from the acutal book. It's great, now I feel like I know what I'm doing. Haha.

Thanks for the feedback, more to come, enjoy!!~
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:23:40 PM by candylion »
IS TAKING COMMISSIONS!...I <3 any art so click on and send me a message. I'll probably draw it.

candylion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 04:34:57 AM »
ACK!!

Thanks for the mention in the post, I feel so incredibly special now. Hopefully I'll get more pageviews, hahah. This all seems a bit too surreal, my favorite author speaks to me. o.O

Yes, much much too odd for my tastes at times, at others I simply go jellybeans. Enough with my ranting, I will soon post another drawing. I'm trying to work on one with Dox, Breeze, Clubs, Ham, Kelsier, Vin and maybe Yeden. The whole group. I'm also trying to work on an Elend/Vin picture. Particularly the part when he asks her to leave because he's afraid for her, and she's simply like: uhh...nuu.

Anywho, more up soon. Thanks for the mention ^.^!!~ Way too cool. (There, I reverted to my middleschool self)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:23:59 PM by candylion »
IS TAKING COMMISSIONS!...I <3 any art so click on and send me a message. I'll probably draw it.

candylion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 06:22:52 AM »
Mistborn: Vin Sketch Page One

Just random sketches while I rack my brain on how to draw her coming through the stain glass. Or while I think of which angle I should draw the Kelsier/Lord Ruler scene. If you can't see this, it'll be in the Scarps section of my DeviantArt. Some of it is just random crap, but some of it I like. As you can see, there is a small self-portrait on top. tha's what I look like when I draw anything. Ha ha.

Yes, me making fun of myself...that's always good.

Anywho, some serious stuff will be up early tomorrow sometime...or something.

Thanks !!~ Comment and enjoy!!~
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:24:24 PM by candylion »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 12:29:19 AM »
Soul Candy, eh? That would explain the Reaper on the cover of the paperback.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

vadia

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 04:39:01 AM »
I hope vin has better taste than to be in either of those two dresses ;D

(In my very conservative dress style opine: the first looks like a kindergarten project pasted on a dress, and the second looks like somebody chopped the top section off in the desperate attempt to make it sexier and merely made it look cut up.  [Nothing says classy like "I can see your bra straps"])

candylion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 05:18:53 AM »
No update today, people. Not like anyone ever reads this. I promise something tomorrow night after my art class. I'm always pumped after that class. Anywho, I'm going to do the stained glass and ruler/kelsier battle scene. I might do them at different angles. Therefore looking more like an intense scene in a manga.

-grins-

Oh yes, who got a job? I got a job. Oh yea.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:24:46 PM by candylion »

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 09:16:11 PM »
Vadia,

I chose those dresses because of their easy to describe shapes, not necessarily because of their actual cuts and look.  That's the style I wanted--or, rather, I wanted those style of skirts with a more traditional medieval top. 

Candy,

Those random sketches are pretty cool.  I think you've got Vin's look down pretty well.  And congrats on the job!

(Oh, and on the 'nobody reads this' comment, are you aware that Ookla The Mok who posted just a few above is an editor at Tokyopop?  ;) )
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

candylion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 09:26:31 PM »
Soul Candy, eh? That would explain the Reaper on the cover of the paperback.

I haven't seen the cover on the paperback. Reaper? That was just my sillyness of Bleach oozing out onto the page. But I'm going to post something after my art class, I think I mentioned that, but I'm always in teh mood for something outageously difficult after that. So look forward to it!~

(Oh, and on the 'nobody reads this' comment, are you aware that Ookla The Mok who posted just a few above is an editor at Tokyopop?  Wink )

...-dies-

Are you aware, Mr. Sanderson, that you continuously force me to hyperventilate? Thus throughly scaring my roommates and therefore taking small steps towards the apocalypse by murder by Banana-Platypi?

I think I've had way too much excitement. Editor -blink blink- for Tokyopop -blink blink-?

I'll just sit over here, hoping that someone will recognize my stuff. And try not to die while I'm at it.

Thanks for the comments, something outrageously..outrageous, tonight...thanks^.^!~

Keep commenting!!~ ((It makes me feel better, especially after my 2 hours of training at the tea-shop job. If you're in Boston, come onto the BU campus between 12:30 pm and 2:00 pm everyday at Lollicup/Spice King...w00t! I'll happily take your order ^^....oh that was cheesy/lmae/shoddy...bleh))
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:25:10 PM by candylion »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 09:49:26 PM »
Are you aware, Mr. Sanderson, that you continuously force me to hyperventilate? Thus throughly scaring my roommates and therefore taking small steps towards the apocalypse by murder by Banana-Platypi?

DOn't worry folks, the ninja monkey are already fully briefed on said platypi and have the situation well in hand.

Incidentally, candylion, you are now officially on my DA watch list.

vadia

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 10:01:47 PM »
Vadia,

I chose those dresses because of their easy to describe shapes, not necessarily because of their actual cuts and look.  That's the style I wanted--or, rather, I wanted those style of skirts with a more traditional medieval top. 

Longest of long suffering sighs, I knew that (my wife wanted the same general shape for her wedding dress -- though we chopped up two dresses to such an extent that neither was recognizable); I just can't help making fun of modern styles

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 11:57:15 PM »
My comment was a joke. If you look around the forum (I'm too lazy right now), you'll find a thread about the Mistborn paperback cover art.

All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

candylion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2007, 02:26:06 AM »
See, now that I know this piece of information that Mr. Sanderson so - winkedley - divulged, I am now incredibly self-concious with my artwork. I don't know what that is doing to my stress levels, but it can't be good. I feel giddy and delirious. Odd.

Thanks for the watch, ^^, I feel loved. Swoooot.

Yea some modern designs are funny looking. But nonetheless, poofy-ness is still the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm hopefully going to enter in the RSoM 8 contest. Something to do with modernized pirates and mutiny. It was weird when I came up with it. Accordingly to my friend Benjamin, it was either that or cowboys/bananas in aqua-space.

...Don't ask.

So hopefully I'll get some of that information up, so I can get suggestions and whatnot or simple feedback. If you care, that is. If you don't -shrug- I'll just go drink some more Boba Tea.

Anywho, thanks for all the comments, it keeps me going. And if you want a print of anything, just comment and I'll be happy to get you one. When I get a tablet, they'll get better, but you can enjoy signed sketches, w00t...or not.

Art coming up tonight, look out for it, and please comment like you always do my lovely...bunny-sides.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:25:40 PM by candylion »

candylion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2007, 05:35:04 AM »
Mistborn: Sketch: Time To Try

Finally, Kelsier and the Lord Ruler in a standstill, pretty much before the Lord Ruler backhands him. Gotta love the spear. Anywho, sorry this took so long, I started talking about Bleach with my suitemate, she just got into it. Honestly, it started with a great storyline, but the short-cut animation just wants my brain cells to commit hara-kiri. Enough of that. I hope you like this version, I'll do one more from a eagle-eye type view, or any other bird if you'd like. Please comment with suggestions and general thoughts, I really hope you like it ^^. It's quite simple, partly because I wanted it up, and because I'm dying to draw more fanart as well.

More to come, enjoy!~

((I'm now used to that phrase, gah, my new job working with Bubble Tea...weeee..makes you thirsty for the rest of the day. Oh, and then I ahd to draw the nude for my art class, a bit awkward, especially since every other person in my class is very hoity-toity...eWw...))

So, I'm off to draw some more, please pop in when you'd like. The simple version is going to be up in the Scraps section of my deviant, so you can see how they changed, if you like. This will also be posted on my Deviant as well.

Arigatou!~
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:26:09 PM by candylion »

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2007, 04:40:32 PM »
So I like all the sketches, but this last one really stands out as fantastic. Good job on it!
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."