Author Topic: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**  (Read 223996 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**
« Reply #570 on: May 11, 2009, 09:57:39 PM »
Let me just say I love the mist effects and color at the bottom, swirling around her cloak. Also...hrrm. It didn't bother me so much in black and white, but in color I would say give her another button or two.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 11, 2009, 10:14:47 PM »
I prefer the B&W a lot. And with the eyes closed. I also dig the ashfall.  :P

I am slightly confused about the blue glow (in the color version) at the bottom…is that light reflecting off of the snow?

[Btw that's a really cool signature.]
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 12, 2009, 12:29:48 AM »
This thread is one reason why I regret not hanging around TWG more lately. Stupid Facebook, giving me other time-wasting options. ;)

INK, I sure hope EUOL worked out a deal with you to illustrate some T-shirts???
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 12, 2009, 02:20:02 AM »
He really should. You've got some skills, man. Seriously.  :P
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #574 on: May 12, 2009, 08:02:38 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm glad you're digging it.

Not surprised the B&W is preferred, since that's the way it was created, but the bounce light has some benefits. I'm still torn on the issue of the eyes... my AD and editor instincts tell me that a character looking towards the viewer is more engaging than someone looking within, but then again I feel like the eyes closed makes her look gentler, which is a nice contrast to the giant sword and the bloodstains.

I'll think upon it. If I could poll votes I would.

The blue mist basically comes from the same trick I used for the Steel Inquisitor image I did a while back. The aqua blue is just the inverse of the red, which makes it the complimentary color. Also it makes the mist look spooOOOoooky, and keeps it from just being fog to someone who's looking at it for the first time and without context. You want someone who's never read the books to still recognize that the mist is special.

Brighter red blood against the bright red light on the blade would just end up being red on red on red. Since the light is already a pretty rich color, I'm afraid it would be overkill. I think I'll hold that as it is.

I agree that Vin should be paler, but the red light warms the skin. Her flat tone is somewhere closer to a pale cream. I'm not sure if I should try and compensate for that, since the resulting color is the natural blend of the red light against the pale skin.

As for chunky ash, I was hoping big dark flakes would read as "closer", since the flakes which overlap her set the scale. Is that not working?

Get your kicks in while you still can. After I post it to my public gallery I'll be loathe to mess with it again, in this particular form at least.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 08:07:36 AM by Inkthinker »

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 12, 2009, 04:05:40 PM »
Very nicely done.   The only thing I noticed was the ash fall.   I think it is too big and blocky.  It should look more like snow in my opinion.    Some of the falling pieces look more like charred fabric falling then ash.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 12, 2009, 04:53:48 PM »
The eyes definitely make her look scarier. You do not want to mess with eyes-open-Vin.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 12, 2009, 06:35:56 PM »
I'm with Oookla, she looks super fierce with eyes open. I think the eyes-closed version is truer to the character; she looks sad yet serene. She looks like she could break into tears or a smile or even a violent rage, and all three outcomes are equally likely. With the eyes open, the choice is made: violent rage it is.

I also agree with those who think the sky is too red. I think it would naturally tend more towards orange than bloody red. Living as I do in the West, I've seen (from all the wildfires we've had) what ash high up in the atmosphere does to the sun; it does turn red, but the sky does not. At sunset, things are redder than usual, but they're still more orange than not.

However, I'll dissent from popular opinion in that I like the colored version much better, too-red sky notwithstanding.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 12, 2009, 07:32:07 PM »
I think the only thing that makes the ash leveling not work super efficiently is that there isn't any ash in front of her.  Try putting a little bit there and see what happens.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 12, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
Yeah, I'll throw my vote in for the B&W + closed-eyes Vin. I prefer her looking a little serene, because I get the feeling that the scene around her is very much not.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 13, 2009, 12:43:58 AM »
Hrrm...like I said, I definitely prefer closed-eyes Vin. As for color vs B&W, both have their pros and cons. I would go for color, just try changing a few things around and see what works. I absolutely love what you did with the mist at the bottom, it does have a slightly otherworldly quality. However, I think Vin's skin tone and the color of the sky can improve. If the blue is the complimentary of the red, obviously changing the red will change the blue, but I guess that can't be helped :(

The ash...I think if you want to give it the effect of being closer to the "camera" as it were, you will need to put flakes directly in front of Vin. Yes, that will mean some of the awesome detail you put into her will vanish, but as it is the ash doesn't have the same quality and effort put into it as the rest of the scene.

All that said...this is AWESOME! Would you mind putting up a link to your gallery? I'd love to see some more of your art :)
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 13, 2009, 03:31:07 AM »
Eyes-closed gives too much of an evil-Sith-Lord-type vibe to me. And I think the ash is great–especially since it's supposed to be mixed with the snow.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 13, 2009, 06:05:52 AM »
I liked the eyes open.  It kind of said, "Alright, you're done.  It's MY turn."
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 13, 2009, 02:49:10 PM »
I like both eyes open and eyes closed. 

Eyes open says "Who's next?" to me.  The eyes seem to be issuing a challenge.

The eyes close is more like "That was easy."  Mainly because there is a sense of serenity in the picture.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 13, 2009, 04:20:36 PM »
I prefer the eyes open.  It just makes the picture seem more dynamic to me, and it's a relatively small thing, haha.

Also, I liked both the B&W and the color version, but I think with the eyes opened, color is probably the better way to go.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?