Author Topic: Can I outsource writing to India at $.25 per page and pass it off as my own?  (Read 7076 times)

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
Re: Can I outsource writing to India at $.25 per page and pass it off as my own?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 08:03:44 PM »
Oh no, MsFish.  If you paid for it, it's yours.  Is there some question about who owns the plastic shark I just bought? Does it somehow still belong to the rickets victim who assembled it in far off Taiwan?  In what way would a paper that I paid a legless Indian street urchin to write not be "my own?"

In the way that if a student in my class did that I would fail them outright, and the university would support me in it.  You might own it, but that doesn't make it okay in an academic setting.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

neiana

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
Re: Can I outsource writing to India at $.25 per page and pass it off as my own?
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 10:03:58 PM »
No, I mean objective.  We can make ethics anything we wish.  We can change them to suit our needs.  While they are subjective, they are also objective.

That makes it subjective...  objective means you look at it from an outside perspective and try to decide what is right.  Subjective means you look at it from your own perspective and try to decide what's right for you.  So, you mean subjective.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 07:12:23 AM »
Oh my wow.  I just looked them up and like . . . I've had them backwards for . . . quite some time. ha ha.  Thanks for that. ;)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 08:43:21 AM »
Oh my wow.  I just looked them up and like . . . I've had them backwards for . . . quite some time. ha ha.  Thanks for that. ;)

hehe np!  :)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 02:55:20 PM »
Oh no, MsFish.  If you paid for it, it's yours.  Is there some question about who owns the plastic shark I just bought? Does it somehow still belong to the rickets victim who assembled it in far off Taiwan?  In what way would a paper that I paid a legless Indian street urchin to write not be "my own?"

In the way that if a student in my class did that I would fail them outright, and the university would support me in it.  You might own it, but that doesn't make it okay in an academic setting.

Well, thank heavens that I was never in your class. All the professors I had at BYU were fine with it.  Where do you teach?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 05:58:56 PM »

I wonder how many researchers and scientists would lose their authorship of material merely because they had to pay someone else to take dictation and/or copy notes.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 09:24:39 PM »
I think the question in general is more along the lines of:

If Einstein paid someone to come up with E=mc2, and then passed it off as his own;

vs

Hawking having a some grad student transcribe his own theories since he cannot.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 11:58:48 PM »
Who invented the radio?

Marconi?

Don't you mean:  "Well, Marconi took a bootyload of patents created by Nikola Tesla and then put them together before Tesla was able to." ?

So if nothing was designed by Marconi other than the physical placement of already-patented items, who really designed the radio?

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 12:53:31 AM »
 In writing I believe thats called "plagiarism."   He should've at least given works cited  :P
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 01:34:47 AM »
I'm not sure you could even do a cited list and get away with it.  In writing it would be like taking Mr. Sanderson's stories, chopping them up, then creating a new story 100% from the text within Brandon's books or from his blog.  It's all Sanderson's writing but it's not in the order, nor does it tell the same story, as Sanderson ever did...  What then? :D

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 05:16:02 AM »
I'm not sure you could even do a cited list and get away with it.  In writing it would be like taking Mr. Sanderson's stories, chopping them up, then creating a new story 100% from the text within Brandon's books or from his blog.  It's all Sanderson's writing but it's not in the order, nor does it tell the same story, as Sanderson ever did...  What then? :D

Well, the question is whether or not it’s wrong to do something like that, in any case.  I believe in most cases we as readers agree that plagiarism 'is' wrong.  Moreover, that to take credit for someone else's work no matter the semantics would also be wrong.

In addition, with trying to cut and paste around someone’s work, well, it would just look awful!  Voice and style would be lost, along with any coherence.

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 06:35:11 AM »
In addition, with trying to cut and paste around someone’s work, well, it would just look awful!  Voice and style would be lost, along with any coherence.

I strongly disagree.  A talented creative force can do a very good job of creating a new voice and a new style while creating a coherent story.  It would take a lot of time and plenty of research, but it is really no different from composing music as long as you have enough material to draw from.

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 04:40:01 PM »
"...taking Mr. Sanderson's stories, chopping them up, then creating a new story 100% from the text...   It's all Sanderson's writing but it's not in the order, nor does it tell the same story, as Sanderson ever did... 

I strongly disagree. A talented creative force can do a very good job of creating a new voice and a new style while creating a coherent story. It would take a lot of time and plenty of research, but it is really no different from composing music as long as you have enough material to draw from.

It's that 100% that throws me.  If your mean just words then that’s one thing, but if your talking whole sentences or paragraphs, well, that’s another thing altogether.  As a music lover and writer I could take the same chords from say, "House of the Rising Sun", and make a new song out of it, but every thing else has to change with it, for it to be "my" song.  In addition, someone who has --"A talented creative force”-- would, I think, just make their own masterpiece in lue of plagiarism.

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 10:51:34 PM »
It's that 100% that throws me.  If your mean just words then that’s one thing, but if your talking whole sentences or paragraphs, well, that’s another thing altogether.  As a music lover and writer I could take the same chords from say, "House of the Rising Sun", and make a new song out of it, but every thing else has to change with it, for it to be "my" song.  In addition, someone who has --"A talented creative force”-- would, I think, just make their own masterpiece in lue of plagiarism.

Yeah I mean sentences or paragraphs.  Paragraphs would make it a lot easier but a truly creative person could use sentences.  Yes you could take the same chords from that song...then if you took the same drums from another song by the same artist, then the same x from another song, so on and so forth.  It's how a lot of techno is made, these days, too.  You take prefabricated sounds and put them together in a way that sounds nice.

Heck.  I can do that on the simplest level.

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 01:01:22 AM »
Yeah I mean sentences or paragraphs.  Paragraphs would make it a lot easier but a truly creative person could use sentences.  Yes you could take the same chords from that song...then if you took the same drums from another song by the same artist, then the same x from another song, so on and so forth.  It's how a lot of techno is made, these days, too.  You take prefabricated sounds and put them together in a way that sounds nice.

Heck.  I can do that on the simplest level.

Ha-ha, yeah a lot of 'em do!  ;D  On the other hand what their doing is sampling.  They still have to get permission or they can be sued.  U.S. and International copy write Laws prohibit one from just sampling from another’s work without permission.  In music as well as writing.  Take Mr. Sanderson for example, he has permission to work on Robert Jordon's AMoL, without that, it would be illegal.  Society as a whole made these laws because they felt it 'is' unethical to sample or otherwise steal from another body of work.  That, I think, is what the main question of this thread is about.  Yes, someone could and probably will, but it is still unethical.