Author Topic: MB1 plot question (Probable Spoilers)  (Read 3309 times)

Phaz

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
MB1 plot question (Probable Spoilers)
« on: November 24, 2007, 11:19:37 PM »
I just finished rereading MB1 over Thanksgiving, and was curious about one of the plot elements.

Near the end of the book, after Kell destroys the pits, the Renoux crew are in the cages coming down to be executed.  At first, everyone thinks that this is because of Marsh being caught, spilling the info about them.  That makes sense.  However, reading that part knowing that that Marsh wasn't caught makes me wonder, how exactly did they all get caught? 

I"m by no means a careful reader, so I could of missed something obvious, but the last I remember, Kell gave them the order to leave town, they did, and the next time you see them, they are in the cages.  How were the found out?  The only ideas I could come up with (neither which I think have any direct evidence in the story itself) is either that an inquisitor somehow saw them leave, and since they evidently (as is implied earlier in the book) have some method of detecting Renoux (why he couldn't attend the balls) they saw he was a Kandra, and then took everyone hostage.  The only other thought that came to my mind was that they somehow traced Vin to that residence (just like they discovered the thieving crews) and it was just a coincidence of when they actually were found out.

Also, a smaller plot point that I just want to clarify.  When Kell destroyed the pits he destroyed some of the crystal nodes as well right?  Straff mentions something that happened "a few years ago" that caused their production to drop so they couldn't quite keep up with what the Lord Ruler wanted.  I think reading the scenes with Kell in the pits, there is some text that makes it appear that he got a few of them when he escaped.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: MB1 plot question (Probable Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 07:41:47 AM »
Phaz,

From the spoilers section of the annotations (which are kind of hard to find, sorry about that.  Hopefully the new site will make some of this information more accessible.)

--Quote---
By the way, the reason the Lord Ruler's army attacked Renoux was not because they broke Marsh. It's because the Inquisitors--still tracking Vin--finally managed to trail her to House Renoux, and therefore to Valette Renoux. They hit the convoy, fully expecting her to be on it. When she wasn't, they devised their trap, knowing that Kelsier would come for his friends. They never even suspected that the team had managed to get a mole into the Ministry ranks.
--Quote--

On the second point, you got it exactly.  Kelsier left a wake of destruction at the pits that would have impressed any horror movie viewer.  He pretty much slaughtered every guard in the place, stole a bunch of atium, and inadvertently destroyed a bunch of the crystals. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 04:52:27 PM »
Phaz,

From the spoilers section of the annotations (which are kind of hard to find, sorry about that.  Hopefully the new site will make some of this information more accessible.)

--Quote---
By the way, the reason the Lord Ruler's army attacked Renoux was not because they broke Marsh. It's because the Inquisitors--still tracking Vin--finally managed to trail her to House Renoux, and therefore to Valette Renoux. They hit the convoy, fully expecting her to be on it. When she wasn't, they devised their trap, knowing that Kelsier would come for his friends. They never even suspected that the team had managed to get a mole into the Ministry ranks.
--Quote--

On the second point, you got it exactly.  Kelsier left a wake of destruction at the pits that would have impressed any horror movie viewer.  He pretty much slaughtered every guard in the place, stole a bunch of atium, and inadvertently destroyed a bunch of the crystals. 

Thanks,  I checked the annotation for the first part thinking that it would contain the answer, but missed the 'spoiler' button.

The second part makes a lot of sense too, since it would explain some of why Straff is so interested in the "Survivor" when Kell meets with him as an informant.

Merlin

• Level 2
  • Lost in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 02:57:24 PM »
Well, seems a good place to ask a question. Translating question.
Several names are double-meaning (Ham, Breeze etc.) I have a problem with Lord Ruler. Is Ruler a "ruler" (I mean just a title) or yet another double meaning name? I cannot gather it from text so far.
Waiting for the Sun...

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 09:18:27 PM »
"Lord Ruler" is just my attempt to use something more distinctive than the generic titles, like emperor.  However, it is intended to mean the same thing.  It's not really a double meaning; it's just a title. 

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 02:20:08 AM »
Well, seems a good place to ask a question. Translating question.
Several names are double-meaning (Ham, Breeze etc.)
Ham is short for Hammond. Also, Clubs' real name is Cladent. Sazed calls everyone by their real names. As of book 2, though, Sazed doesn't seem to know Breeze's real name, since he just calls him Breeze.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 07:05:35 AM »
Ladrian.  I think Sazed mentions it once in book two, but Breeze asks him not to mention it. 

Merlin

• Level 2
  • Lost in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 03:10:11 PM »
"Lord Ruler" is just my attempt to use something more distinctive than the generic titles, like emperor. However, it is intended to mean the same thing. It's not really a double meaning; it's just a title.

Thank you very much! I'll try to make something of it... [scratching my head very hard!] because in Polish the meaning of Lord and Ruler are just the same or very similar and it looks like a pleonasm (to give you an idea how it looks, it's like Mister Ruler).

Waiting for the Sun...

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 11:13:34 PM »
You could go with something like "High Ruler" or even, if you wanted, "Final Emperor" which was his original name.  I decided I didn't like it in English, so I changed it.

Merlin

• Level 2
  • Lost in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 07:56:04 AM »
Thank you very much! This begins to make sense :) I'll go for  "Final Emperor"

We have another problem, but I'll try to explain it by e-mail.
Waiting for the Sun...