Author Topic: thoughts on hardbacks  (Read 4907 times)

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: thoughts on hardbacks
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 10:21:17 PM »
I will buy a hardback over a paperback 9 out of 10 times. I guess I consider books an investment (well, that's the excuse I give myself at least). Paperbacks don't seem to last through my wear and tear. I reread books often, I take them with me everywhere that I think I might get a moment to read, and I expect to have them around for my children to enjoy, when they get older.

BUT I am also not above buying a book for cheap. I love library book sales! Most of my Nicholas Sparks books have come from them, poor guy I like his books but haven't spent more than $20 on nearly the entire collection. If I really like an author though, I won't wait for them to get to these types of sales and I'll go out and buy brand new.

And in truth, I'm just vain, paperback books won't look nice in that personal library I'm going to have someday.

Queen Mother

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 11:15:32 PM »
I love books. I love the look of hardback books. But I have been married 24 yrs and I just counted up the many times I have moved since I've been married and it is 18+ times in those 24 yrs!!  We just got rid of 10 book sized U-haul boxes of books because we are getting so tired of hauling them in and out of all the houses we live in!  My husband likes being more portable and is trying to encourage our book reading family to enjoy the library more!  So this makes paperback books more acceptable to our household.  I have 9 kids at home and we still think those scholastic book orders are like christmas wish list catalogs!  My teens like to get them from their little brothers & sisters before the little guys can get their papers to me after school!  It is nice we all like to read, but unless a book is totally a family sharing type book - hardbound books aren't generally acquired for our household.   I got a hold of Mistborn at the library and liked it and just had to have my own copy.  I got one from Amazon, but it was a used copy or something that made it cheap enough for me to buy.  Sorry to find out it doesn't help authors to buy books the way I do. 

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 05:14:40 AM »
You got rid of 10 boxes of books! Golly I wish I'd been around! ;)

Swiggly

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Here's for trying, rhymes with dying
    • View Profile
    • Gaia Online Account
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 06:44:00 AM »
I hate paperbacks. I like to keep my books very pristine, and while this is possible with paperbacks: I'm prone to mishaps.

I have all of Wolverton's Runelords books except for Worldbinder in hard cover. I was introduced to this from Brandon, by the way. I was going to wait for the paperback to come out because I like them all to be uniform. I managed to last about two weeks.

I managed to get my Elantris hard cover copy severely water damaged (At least I think so) and I lost my Final Empire at school. I tend to lose things when I'm overwhelmed, no matter how much I check back.

I also have only one Dragonlance book in hardcover, which really irritates me. I don't have any Sanderson books in paperback, which is good.

I prefer Hard Covers. All of my paperbacks I try very hard not to bend the cover or crease the spine, and I've gotten my friends to get obsessed with it, too ^^

On a completely different note: I wanted to join the Scholastic arts and writing contest with writing this time because my Art teacher submitted my work last time but I can't because I don't have a creative writing teacher because the evil witch left so I got stuck with Photography which I'm terrible at.
I want to be a publisher at Tor Fantasy when I grow up.

YAY