Author Topic: Wow! #2  (Read 1856 times)

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Wow! #2
« on: November 03, 2007, 05:26:51 AM »
Okay, I'm done. And HOLY COW  :o did not see that coming! I don't even know how to feel right now, except to say... this is exactly what I love about these books! I don't know what's coming next (and can I tell ya, that's saying alot) I love it! I'm so excited for #3 now that I think I'm going to go crazy....

I've got way to many things going on in my brain right now, I don't think I'm gonna be able to sleep.

Daen

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Yes, I use K-maps to write SQL queries.
    • View Profile
    • neromir.net
Re: Wow! #2
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 09:46:11 PM »
Yeah... For a while there while I was reading Well of Ascension I was trying to decide if I liked it as much as the first book or not, and I wasn't so sure.  The ending totally makes up for it, though. 

I need to write a book review on this one and solidify my thoughts a lot more, but the ending was definitely very different from what I expected.  I remember back when it first started to get off the pathway from where I was expecting it to go and it was, honestly, very surprising and very good.  I don't want to give any spoilers here in case there are those that haven't read it yet, but my review will definitely be spoiler-heavy, just to get the thoughts going. 

Another thing I noticed about the book: Brandon did an awesome job of bringing out the emotion in this one.  I find that to be the mark of a good fantasy/sci-fi author (and arguably in most other genres as well).  I remember really feeling for the characters and the predicaments they found themselves in during a lot of the very important scenes, especially near the end. 

Brandon's books always leave me feeling inspired to work on my own writing, and this one was no different.  I've been stuck for a few months, now, on my main writing project, but since I read Well of Ascension I've had a lot more drive to work out the plot problems and do a better job than I have been recently.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to #3.  I'm going to try to see if I can be at the book signing for that one, too-- only missed the one for Final Empire, so far.  These books are kind of like crack-- I need my fix.  ;)  I might have to go back and start re-reading the ones I do have before long here.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 04:46:41 PM »
These books are kind of like crack-- I need my fix.

I was in a writing group with Brandon a few years ago (before he was published) and that's essentially what one of the girls said about his writing.  "I need my Brandon fix!"  She was always so annoyed if he wasn't going to be there some week and so didn't submit.

Brandon, how does it feel to have your writing be an addictive substance?
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 09:50:40 PM »
He does it on purpose, of course. All part of his evil plan.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 12:35:06 AM »
I told my Brother in Law to read it. He then got his wife to, now I think we've talked another brother in law into reading it. Such hesitancy! if they only knew what a high they'd be getting....  ;)