Author Topic: New MB 1?  (Read 7434 times)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: New MB 1?
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2007, 05:09:37 PM »
I actually read a book because it had a cover by this artist, but I've only seen his covers on urban fantasy.  I'm interested to see what he'll do with MB1.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2007, 05:01:26 PM »
I like most of this guy's covers.  They fit the moods and the context of the books really well.  In fact, for a project Rob (Errent on the forums) and I are working on, we both agreed that this artist would be great for it.  His covers help the books sell well - the numbers for Kat Richardson and Jim Butcher are very good.  A lot of his stuff  - especially the Dresden stuff - has a hazy quality to it that I feel would lend well to a piece depicting a world covered in Mist.  Im interested to see a rough sketch.

On a side note, does doing something like this hurt relations with the original cover artist?  Ive always wondered about that.

As far as putting the price on the cover, of course they will.  How are people going to notice the sale price if it isnt printed?  It will most likely have a red bar across the top of the cover and on a large section of the spine saying "LOOK AT ME!!! IM ON SALE!!!" 
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2007, 06:22:54 PM »
I'm with Not Bookstore Guy Anymore on this one.  This artist has a track record of making really nice covers that fit the urban fantasy/dark fantasy market.  If anything, having a cover done by him will bring in more readers from these markets who might not have picked up the book otherwise.  I'm excited to see what he comes up with for Mistborn, since I loved the covers of the Greywalker series.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2007, 03:18:50 PM »
Anytime someone can publicly say he's with CtrlZed and Not Bookstore Guy Anymore, that person should seize that chance. I like this artist, and I think a really cool cover could come from this. But if I were the original artist, I'd be kinda steamed.

bossfan2000

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Book News & Reviews
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2007, 08:01:59 PM »
I couldnt resist blogging on this topic this morning after seeing this thread over the weekend. It seems like there has been a LOT of discussions on the forums and blogs (the idea that some fantasy covers can affect book sales).

I know if i hadnt already heard all the good things about Elantris and Mistborn, I wouldn't have given a thought to buying Mistborn (but i do own all 3 of his books in HC, due to the positive reviews around the net..now I just need to start reading them!). This isnt to say the artist isnt talented..it simply wasnt an appealing cover to me. I think this happens way too often in fantasy books. I have always wondered why there isnt some sort of readers opinion panel formed by the book companies to get opinions on proposed covers (seeing that other media outlets use feedback to determine the final product..movies, tv shows, etc).