Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2007  (Read 14623 times)

origamikaren

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The World is Quiet Here
    • View Profile
    • tiggywinkle
NaNoWriMo 2007
« on: October 13, 2007, 05:52:36 PM »
So I'm gearing up for NaNoWriMo 2007.  Is anybody else here going to be participating this year?  I'd like to add people to my buddy list and compare wordcounts, suggestions, etc.  I'll be using the name origamikaren there, too
http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/204954

Good luck!
Check out my daily poetry selection and musings at http://karenspoetryspot.blogspot.com

-Karen

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: NaNoWriMo 2007
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 09:23:49 PM »
We'll do a forum award for anyone that completes NaNoWriMo this year just like last year.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 10:59:38 PM »
I'll be doing it again this year. Hopefully I won't quit when I'm three fifths of the way there again. My username over there is FMP.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 10:11:35 PM »
I'll try again this year. My name over there is MasterArchon30.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 05:08:51 PM »
I really want to do this, but I'm wondering if it's even possible with two little boys, not to mention health problems.  About how much do you usually have to write in a day?
If I had any clue, would I be here?

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 05:40:08 PM »
I have a chart for it, actually. Daily count depends on if you write sunday's too (or take some other day off each week). If you write 6 days a week, I think the number is 1667 words. A good goal is 2k per day. That way you have a coushion if you have a bad day.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 11:58:19 PM »
Going to try and do this.  Will be my first stab at it, but I'm in the middle of a novel and will be picking up where I previously left off.  So, I hope it's possible.  Unfortunately, 2000 words will typically take me like 3 hours to pound out unless I'm really on a roll.  I feel the kids thing too.  Have 3 myself.  9-12 each night.  Sheesh, I must be out of my mind.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 11:17:49 PM »
I'm thinking about doing this. I've figure I need a good outline, so I'm made a rough of a 25 chapter book. So if each chapter is at least 2k and I write a chapter a day then I've got it easy. Course some chapters look like they may be longer. Right now I'm planning on going back over the outline, fixing errors, filling in setting details, fleshing out character details, and outlining individual chapters. I'm accepting that this "novel" is going to include a lot of fluff and probably a lot of bad writing.  I'm not worrying about how generic my plot-line is. My time is limited, so I can't waste time wondering what to write. I'm also hoping to get up earlier each morning so I can write before my creativity gets used up by my job. It takes me about 2 hours to write 2k words, so I'll probably have to have a make-up session later in the day.

So it a lot of pre-writing before I even begin writing, but from my work experiences over this last year, great results don't just happen spontaneously.

So is anyone else obsessivley planning for this?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 01:44:02 AM »
Oh yeah. I'm actually working on the sequel to my Nanowrimo from a couple years ago, but I have been reworking a lot of my ideas from the first novel, and adding in a lot more. Unfortunately, most of this is worldbuilding, and doesn't actually help that much when it comes to my story for the next one. I have about the first quarter of it pretty well planned, but after that it gets sketchy. I know what has to happen, but I don't know how it's going to work out.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 01:48:14 AM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 05:34:14 PM »
Sigh.  I've decided I can't do this this year.  Maybe next year, when my boys are a little older.  Anyway, I'm almost finished with my story I'm writing for my writing group, and I don't want to take a month off from it to do another project since it's so close to being done.  Excuses, excuses.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 04:43:38 PM »
I'm doing it.

Username:  hauf

I can't see any way to add a buddy.  Where is that feature?

I won't be starting the writing until Nov. 7.  Starting a week late.  But last year I did about 6oK so I hope that missing the first week won't kill my effort.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 04:54:12 AM »
I'm going to try this thing out, my sister and brother are both doing it and talked me into it... Had to run it by the spouse though, didn't want him wondering why the kids were in pajamas at 4PM or why they were eating cereal for lunch.  :-\
(I've got a 6y/o kindergartener, 5 y/o movie maniac, and an 8 month old explorer)

my username over there is charityann (unique, I know, but I forget these things so easily, it's for the best)

has anyone read through the dares thread in the fantasy section? pretty funny...

good luck.

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 07:40:57 PM »
In order to add someone as a buddy, you need to be logged in at the NaNoWriMo site and then go to the person profile page.  Because their servers seem to be inadequate, they've apparently disabled the function that lets you search for someone based on their username, so in order to add someone as a buddy, you pretty much need them to give you a link to their profile page, like this:
http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/144874
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 08:52:55 PM »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
thanks, Eric.

does this look right?   http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/128744

your link includes  /eng/    Hope mine works if anyone wants to add me.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore