Author Topic: Alcatraz out?  (Read 5221 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Alcatraz out?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 11:16:15 PM »
Silly?  Me?  No, I'm just misunderstood.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »
Out of curiosity, when a book comes out early like this, how does that affect the stats for first week sales?  Is everything sold before the first week (if it had been released on time) just clumped together?  I'm really curious about this.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 11:02:28 PM »
Unfortunately, they aren't clumped together.  It's not a big deal for me, since I won't be hitting any bestseller lists on this one.  However, it could really undermine my chances if I had a shot at the lists.  For instance, MB2 sold around 1200 copes and to get on the lists in a slow week you need 2000 copies.  We're hoping MB3 will hit the NTY list, though we'd need--as I said--2000+ copies to even have a shot at at. 

Anyway, if MB2 had come out a month early and we'd sold those 1200 copies at 300 a week across four weeks, then we would never have gotten the attention at Tor that we did. 

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 03:38:39 PM »
That hardly seems fair.  The world should be fair!

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 06:59:56 PM »
I had the book with me at work and a co-worker noticed. I told her about it and how she could possibly get a signed copy in Provo (assuming there are some left), and so she's planning to buy a copy for her granddaughter. Yay!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 08:40:10 PM »
Cool!  Thanks! 

Though, I do think the signed copies are gone.  They zipped out the door within about two days of my posting that there were numbered copies up for grabs.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 04:52:24 PM »
My mom just bought seven copies for her library.  Hurray for libraries!

MPlease

• Level 4
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 06:26:34 PM »
The husband-creature and I just finished reading Alcatraz together (twas his first time reading it) and loved it. He was cracking up and just about died laughing at the ending- a wonderful shot at Harry Potter. ^^
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2007, 04:50:29 AM »
O gee, what to do this weekend. Let's check the Denver tourism guide.  I'm sure there is some interesting events going on this weekend. Let's see what celebs are in town: Art Garfunkel, Al Gore, and Brandon Sanderson. Hum, maybe I'll go see one of them. 

http://www.denver365.com/Events/index.php?app=eventDetail&id=78359

Hey, Brandon, have you thought of doing a presentation and book signing for Alcatraz in a library or would that be too controversal?
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 08:59:14 PM »
How about in a preison?

First, I rearranged some shelves in a Barnes and Noble so your Alcatraz book would be cover forward instead of spine forward.  Okay it wasn't so much a "rearranging" but a "closing of a gap" on the other end of the shelf.  One thing to note is there were not very many books between you and Rowling's Harry Potter.  Maybe that will draw in some readers.

Second, I finished reading the book last night and I have a question.  Did you ever consider doing anything to off-set the authorial interruptions?  I have an older copy of The Princess Bride and all the scenes between the boy and the grandfather are in red ink.  Did you consider that or maybe a different font?  Possibly a font that looks like handwriting so it might look like scribbles in the margins.  Just curious.