Author Topic: I just finished 'Well of Ascention' 2 minutes ago...  (Read 3767 times)

Shuez

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • R. Schuyler Devin - Writer, Poet, Artist, Techgeek
    • View Profile
I just finished 'Well of Ascention' 2 minutes ago...
« on: September 11, 2007, 02:58:58 AM »
...Wow, just wow   ;D

What an absolutely fantastic read this book was! I was balled over by the conclusion; I did not see that coming.

Thank you for a wonderful book; well worth my money--and as your other works have done--given me inspiration for my own writing.

(off to find Alcatraz now...)

Thank you again Brandon,

R. Schuyler Devin
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."

- Albert Einstein

"You have only just begun to gauge the depth of your ignorance yet you use it as the foundation for a towering confidence." - from the novel Black Brillion by Matthew Hughes

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: I just finished 'Well of Ascention' 2 minutes ago...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 08:22:50 PM »
Yeah, it is a great follow up book without feeling like just a "bridge" to get to the third book. I need to re-read it now that I have the printed hardcovers. :)

P.S. Euol, it looks like he spells "ascension" just like you do--with a "t"! ;)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 08:31:59 PM »
I'm trying to start a revolution.  (Note, I talk about my inability to spell my own title in the Annotations for book two.)

Thanks for the good words, Shuez!  I'm glad you liked the book. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Shuez

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Re: I just finished 'Well of Ascension' 2 minutes ago...
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 08:42:17 PM »
Yeah, it is a great follow up book without feeling like just a "bridge" to get to the third book. I need to re-read it now that I have the printed hardcovers. :)

P.S. Euol, it looks like he spells "ascension" just like you do--with a "t"! ;)

You have an excellent point; Well of Ascension does not suffer from the 'bridge-book' syndrome. Many series that I have read do have the one book that does not really stand on it's own merit, but WOA is a competently strong sequel.

I can not believe that I added the "t"--even after reading about Brandon's problem with the "t" sneaking it's way into his spelling of ascension.  :-[

- Albert Einstein

"You have only just begun to gauge the depth of your ignorance yet you use it as the foundation for a towering confidence." - from the novel Black Brillion by Matthew Hughes

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 04:25:08 PM »
I just finished it last night, and went "Aaaagggghhhhhhh!!!" 
~금강산도 식후경~

Shuez

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 07:42:45 PM »
I just finished it last night, and went "Aaaagggghhhhhhh!!!" 

I feel your pain and understand your exclamation.  ;)

"I'm FREE!"   :o

- Albert Einstein

candylion

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 05:13:08 PM »
My stomach hurts from all the plot twists. Which is a good sign, meaning that they were incredibly good as opposed to...well, bad. But I feel the same way, my frustration seems to be contained at the moment though. Don't know how I'm going to wait another year for the rest of the story. Have to say one thing, though,

At least now Elend and Vin may stop feeling sorry for themselves and finally have a "normal" relationship. If...that's even possible.

-laughs-

Great book. Isn't a bridge book, because far too important things happen...life-changing for the characters.
IS TAKING COMMISSIONS!...I <3 any art so click on and send me a message. I'll probably draw it.

HANNIBALELANTRIAN

• Level 2
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
I also have finished Mistborn 2
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 06:53:07 PM »
I just finished my reading of The Well of Ascension not all that long ago and even though I've sent Brandon an email letting him know of how well I thought of his book I thought I'd post my opinion on here as well.

While I enjoyed the first mistborn novel slightly more (due, I think, to the incredible growth we the readers saw Vin go through) I don't think Brandon could have ever written a more fitting and thrilling second installment. The twists and turns are, in my mind, enough to boggle the mind without causing it to explode. Just when you think you know what's going to happen, WHAM, Brandon thinks it's funny to blindside you!  ;)

One thing I also enjoyed about the book was the characters. For some reason, although I loved the characters in book 1, I found myself more attached to the characters here (even though most of them were just reprising roles from the previous novel). I don't know why, but I guess it must be because the tension and danger was much more palpable throughout the book and hence helped me to attach to the characters all the more.

And I especially liked reading about two characters in particular: Them being Tensoon and Zane, although each for entirely different reasons. I liked reading about Tensoon just because he was such an incredible character and I love the nature of the kandra, and of course the plot twist at the end made me love him all the more. And Zane, well.......Zane I liked reading about because I hated him so completely. I think I must have shouted at my copy at least 5 times and pounded my head with the palm of my hand endlessly when I saw Vin trusting him and thinking of leaving with him. Yep, he was so slimy and detestable (in my opinion) that I was almost sweating everytime he had a scene with Vin.

I especially liked the ending although I remember vaguely thinking: Good God, can't you give her a break?

So all in all, Well Done BRANDON! And Congratulations on crafting another superb novel! Keep them(and the plot twists) coming!

P.S. I do want to warn all posters here though, that I think our own Brandon is an allomancer. I could have sworn he was pushing and pulling my emotions throughout the tensest parts of the story. I think we can trust him, but still, I would caution us all to be wary.

Luke

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 01:52:27 PM »
I'm merging these topics as I see them to avoid the clutter but maintain the discussion.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 11:52:35 PM »
Thank you, Luke, for the kind words.  They mean a lot! 

You'll see a lot more of TenSoon in book three, and find out some more backstory on Zane in a round-about sort of way. 

This was a tough book to write, being the middle of a series, and I'm happy people are enjoying it so much.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

HANNIBALELANTRIAN

• Level 2
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 09:54:28 PM »
Thank you, Luke, for the kind words.  They mean a lot! 

You'll see a lot more of TenSoon in book three, and find out some more backstory on Zane in a round-about sort of way. 

This was a tough book to write, being the middle of a series, and I'm happy people are enjoying it so much.

Your welcome! And I am extremely glad about TenSoon making a reappearance in the third book, you just made my day! I can't wait for the third book now, if only I could discover a way to time travel...........

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 11:35:34 PM »
Apparently I go for the bad guy types.  I want to know more about Marsh and the Inquisitors than anyone else.

I will admit that I was a bit worried (disappointed?) when I read about Marsh leaving Sazed.  I knew that I wouldn't see him again until the end.  Why?  Because that's kind of what happened in the first book.  I hope that doesn't happen in #3.    I wouldn't want Marsh to turn into some kind of deux ex machina for the plot each time.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 01:39:02 PM »
oh, he doesn't. No worries there. *wink*