Author Topic: That was such a great book but....  (Read 3020 times)

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
That was such a great book but....
« on: October 10, 2007, 04:55:55 PM »
Have you ever had a book that you just loved, and can't remember the title or author of? I've got several, mostly from my childhood, but it kills me. (I've started writing down all the books I read)

there was this one about a girl who goes to visit family for the summer, at some point early on she wants to get away for a while (or something) so she goes out onto the lake to this little island, (now I can't remember if there's ruins on the island or not) while she's there she finds this old pair of glasses and puts them on, only to discover they reveal what I remember as the ghosts of the island.

It was pretty good, but heck if I can put a title or author to it.

some other ones I love, and remember the names of, are
'The Case of the Vanishing Boy' by Alexander Key
'Dangerous Summer' by Carolyn G. Hart

they are so intertwined with my childhood that the nostalgia hits me like a hurricane when I pick up one of them.

How about you?

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: That was such a great book but....
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 09:08:23 PM »
I can remember a picture book that I loved.  It didn't have any words, but it showed these little kids going to bed and then flying away on their pillows to magical places like a cloud castle and under the sea.  I only have one sister to says she remembers the book too, but her memory isn't always reliable.  I'm mostly sure this book existed though.  I just wish I knew the title.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 09:49:34 PM »
It's painfully, i know, but if maybe we talk about them.... we'll be able to get past this...  ;)

I had one like that too, I remember my neighbor friend 'reading' it to me and then when I was older and could read myself I realized she hadn't really read it at all. It was all castles and colors but the main character was a white horse... I loved that book.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 09:44:01 PM »
Sounds like a Chris Van Allsburg book.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 01:54:59 PM »
which one?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 07:48:57 PM »
I have no idea. But they are easily found in libraries. (But anyway I meant Sigyn's book.)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 05:58:15 PM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 06:58:51 PM »
Nope, this definitely wasn't a Van Allsburg.  I'm very familiar with his books, and the style was completely different.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 06:44:04 PM »
Is there such a thing as a book search engine? Like you type in specific things about the book, flying carpet for example and get a list of books?

that'd be worth it, IMO

course I am a bit of a book freak...

Swiggly

• Level 4
  • Here's for trying, rhymes with dying
    • View Profile
    • Gaia Online Account
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 10:50:13 PM »
What kind of childhood are you talking about?

Elementary school?

Because I really liked the Magic Treehouse in 2nd grade and after that Harry Potter and Narnia.
I want to be a publisher at Tor Fantasy when I grow up.

YAY

Ratlord12

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 04:47:24 PM »
Can anybody please tell me where to find this book?:

I remember the word 'avacado' is in the title, like 'and the avacado of doom' or something (seriously). It was targeted to youngsters. It involves a villain who kills people with a stuffed Indian fruit bat, a crazy family with the daughter who dresses like a raver with a soundproof room where she blares her stereo for some illogical reason I can't remember, and the "greatest detective in the world" who hangs out at a malt shop.
The protagonist is a nine year old who sneaks out at night to go to the local movie theater with his best friend. They live in a weird town where people go to the park at night and give speeches at the park on a podium. As a matter of fact, everything happens at night. I recall thinking the buildings in the story would all look rather cartoonish. That book was freakin odd, and I loved it!

I think it's out of print (one of those cheap pulpy jobs sold in the eighties) and copies are probably rare.   

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 05:24:30 PM »
The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death by Daniel Pinkwater (and its sequel, the Snarkout Boys and the Baconburg Horror). There are several listings on Amazon, some in omnibus format. Seems there was also an audio theater version with Brent Spiner.

Daniel Pinkwater has some hilarious books.

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 05:30:11 PM »
Just the other day, my husband said, "Daniel Pinkwater is like the literary equivalent of They Might be Giants."  He's not a fan of random goofiness.  I rather like it.
~금강산도 식후경~

Ratlord12

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 06:10:29 PM »
Wow, I thought Avacado was some obscure cheapy succombed to the cruelty of time, but apparently everbody knows about it except me. To the googlemobile!

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 09:25:13 PM »
LOL!  Well, not everybody, I'm sure... I think Ookla and I read it together when he was a young'un.   (Perhaps for the season I should change my title to "Mokfather's sister"?)

I recall the girl in it was called Rat, too, which should amuse you.   ;D
~금강산도 식후경~

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 09:29:17 PM »
You could change your display name to 600-foot-tall Christmas Tree instead, to get into the seasonal mood.