Author Topic: Terrible husband reads to slow...  (Read 2962 times)

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Terrible husband reads to slow...
« on: October 10, 2007, 05:08:37 AM »
As I said on another location, I'm new here. for the specific reason we haven't had the internet, nor do we have TV...
anyway our lack of information had hit an all time high (can you believe I didn't know they executed Saddam until two months later  ???) so we've given in and gotten the newspaper and the internet, but I didn't even catch that Mistborn 2 was out till last month when it was in the SFBC catalog...
(shaming I know)

So in a flurry of excitement I order it immediately, wait by the door every day for the mail man, and when it comes my husband utters the fateful words...

"I'm so excited! We can read it together."

Now I would have put my foot down at this point had it not been for Harry. You see, I absolutely refused to read HP7 to him until I had read it... I didn't feel I could do that again.
 -sigh- so here we are... on Chapter 22

"We can read a chapter a night!" he says.
"We'll have so much fun!" he says.

He doesn't know I'm two chapters ahead.

Anyway.... Hello.

MPlease

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible husband reads to slow...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 08:56:29 PM »
That's brilliant. I think it's rather sweet that you read books together. My hubby and I did that for most of Alcatraz and I wouldn't mind doing it a bit more often- I get a kick out of doing the voices.   Just be sure to feign surprise at the end  ;)
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 09:46:51 PM »
Yes, well, I'm sure at some point he'll catch on and then he'll get this gentle voice that says "if you want to read it without me, that's fine."

I love reading books with him, but I would like to go a little faster than one chapter a night... I could be done by now!  ;D

It's really worth it, reading together, it's kind of like going on a journey that you can both talk about when you get back.... does that sound cheesy?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 12:06:20 AM »
Reading ahead when you're supposed to be reading together is one of the cardinal relationship no-nos. Don't do it!!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 12:28:36 AM »
I know. I know, consider this my confessional. Forgive me for I have sinned...  :'(
What should my penance be?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 05:28:46 AM »
Just go and sin no more.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 02:29:47 PM »
When you watch a movie you both want to see without your spouse, it's called movie cheating

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 05:47:09 PM »
When you watch a movie you both want to see without your spouse, it's called movie cheating

I never get the opporunity to do that. To many little ones tagging along to watch something like The Bourne Supremacy. And if I'm getting a babysitter might as well bring my husband along with me  :)

But a good book... well... that's my weakness. It's gotten to the point I have to ask permission to buy books, and then promise that I won't disapear behind it's pages for days on end.

I heard once that an addiction was anything that kept you from fulfilling your responsibilities. I thought, "Oh no! I'm addicted to reading!"

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 06:28:42 PM »
you say you won't do it now, but there are those who don't understand. My sister-in-law seems to think her relationship with my wife is more important than mine. None of them understand movie cheating.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 06:41:18 PM »
so let's disect that post shall we,

You're saying that your wife and SIL don't frequent chick flicks
or that you do and they keep going without you? ;D

Let me tell you, my husband was in Iraq for a year and I didn't see any good movies, all my friends would be like,

"Oh, Return of the King, I promised to see that with my husband but lets go watch this love story about a woman who can't have the man she loves but in the end they fall in love and we'll all cry and want to go home and kiss our husbands. That sounds fun don't you think!"

"yeah, fun..."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 06:47:39 PM »
my sil argued, almost violently, to have a girls night out and go watch Harry Potter before I did.

:P

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 08:33:14 PM »
Oh, well okay HP is worth putting your foot down about.... who won? I'd've been sullen like nothing else if my husband went with his brother's to HP.

I take it SIL is not married.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 08:50:16 PM »
no, she's not.

And I won. We have since watched it.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 04:16:49 AM »
yep... I'm pretty good aren't I? ;)
That's typical in the unmarried crowd... there's been many an argument over starcraft or empire earth interefering with our date nights.
or axis & allies... fortress america... dungeons and dragons...

and he complains about my reading...

I gotta go talk to him, hang on.  ;)

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 04:47:09 AM »
I've left him behind.... I'm sorry but I couldn't take it anymore, what with his new Starcraft game and his church obligations I just gave in.

And I'm ashamed to say it, but I just barely past the attack on Cett. (see that's how bad it was around here! isn't that excusable?)

Will post more when I am done.  ;)