Author Topic: New genre shows  (Read 5860 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
New genre shows
« on: October 04, 2007, 01:43:52 AM »
So there are a lot of new scifi/fantasy shows this season. (yay!)

I've only seen the pilots for two: Bionic Woman, and Reaper

Bionic Woman was okay. I like the actress playing Jamie Summers, but the rest of the cast has yet to impress me. It seems as though the show will take a Alias approach to plotting. I'm glad they replaced the deaf sisters from the previews.

Reaper is hillareous. It makes use of witty dialogue and the guy playing Satan is really funny. This show could easily fill the void left by Joss Whedon.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: New genre shows
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 04:59:38 PM »
I saw Pushing Daisies last night and it was great!  It's funny and weird and slightly morbid.  I'm going to have to catch it again next week.  And it has Kristen Chenowyth and Anna Friel, two actresses I really enjoy.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 05:10:47 PM »
I only caught part of Reaper and I too like Satan but I'm not sure about everything else.  I think I'll have to catch a full episode to see whether I like the whole thing.

I watch Pushing Daisies and I loved it.  I think the narrator is Jim Dale who did the excellent audio recordings for the Harry Potter books.  If not then he certainly sounds a lot like him.  I thought it was hilliarious but I wonder if the show could go on if he ever touch his "girlfriend" again.  I will be turning in.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 07:37:53 PM »
I really liked Pushing Daisies, though it bothers me that now I have a show on Wedensday. That was one of the nights I didn't watch TV! Dangit.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 07:46:22 PM »
I'll see Pushing Daisies this weekend (DVR). Reaper was awesome, and I have high hopes for it. Fantastic premise, and good actors.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 04:35:20 AM »
There's also a new show that doesn't seem to be well advertised called Moonlight. I happen to catch it on Friday after Ghost Whisperer. It's not the BEST show I've seen, but I enjoyed the first two episodes. The premise is a vampire who is also a Private Investigator. He was turned into a vampire in the 1940s at about age 30, and because of circumstances has decided to help innocents. They have the first two episodes on CBS.com (go to http://alpha.cbs.com/primetime/moonlight/#. There is a link on the page for it), so you can check it out.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 07:12:35 PM »
I liked the main character quite a bit, but I didn't like anything else about it. I admit that I didn't watch the whole first episode, but what I saw struck me as boring and melodramatic (as vampire shows tend to be, in my opinion).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 07:47:28 PM »
Yeah, it reminds me somewhat of Dresden files in the premise (wizard/vampire who is a private investigator, dating blonde reporter, always getting in trouble, etc.), but Harry was much more intriguing a character--very conflicted and yet witty. Still mad that Sci-Fi cancelled it, esp. for shows like Flash Gordon and wrestling. Arg! My only consolation is there are still the books, but both would have been better. It's nice seeing more sci-fi and fantasy shows on network channels, though.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 08:25:20 PM »
Yeah, when we saw the previews for Moonlight, the first thought was, "That's already been done, and done better. The show's name was Angel." But I can see the similarities with Dresden Files, too--also a show done better.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 09:59:48 PM »
There was actually a show very similar to this in the early-mid 90's that was on after Highlander where I was.

Basically a Vampire who was a cop/PI that was out to get those that turned him into one (in the 18th century I think) and solve mysteries.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 11:27:31 PM »
He's a vampire cop, she's a furry cosplayer... together they fight crime!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 11:38:33 PM »
I would watch a show about a furry who fights crime. The character doesn't even have to fight crime AS a furry, he or she could just do it on the side. That would be endlessly entertaining.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 01:49:38 AM »
Truly I have the gift.

Now Imagine Tony Shalhoub in the star role of the Furry, with Tim Curry as the Vampire.

Instant HIT!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 01:51:47 AM by Mad Dr Jeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 02:13:51 PM »
honestly, I'd prefer Shalhoub as the vampire and still in his Monk character.

"I can't bite that! I don't know where it's been!"
"Do you know how many diseases are in human blood?!"

Curry could reprise his Rocky Horror character as the Furry.

Now we have invented the best show EV-AR!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 02:25:40 PM »
Needs more Walken.  And by more I mean it needs Christopher Walken to be Best Show ever.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.