Author Topic: Chuck  (Read 4762 times)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Chuck
« on: October 03, 2007, 03:43:32 PM »
Has anyone else seen this?  I thought it was very funny.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 06:33:05 PM »
We've been watching it, as well as Journeyman, to bookend Heroes.

So far, it's been hilarious. And it's got Jayne in it!!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 04:41:03 AM »
Chuck is the surprise of the season for me. I love it--and I thought it was going to be really cheesy and uncreative. Yet it has much more style and substance than Bionic Woman, which I had high hopes for. BW was just so surfacey yet trying to be dark and compelling. We barely know the characters at all before she gets her new bionic upgrades. She isn't even very interesting as a person from what we saw before the accident. So I just never connected with her or her twerpy bf who made her bionic. But with Chuck, it succeeds at being a satirical comedy and a nerd-fest thrill ride with characters much more quirky and interesting. So a thumbs down for Bionic Woman, thumbs up for Chuck. :D
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 05:52:59 AM »
Weird.  Both this week and last week I've seen the last twenty minutes, and thought it SUCKED.  I really need to watch the whole thing.  There must be something about the beginning that makes the ending good.

I think my problem is that it seems so disjointed.  At times it's kind of weird fantasy ala Scrubs, and at other times they try to be serious and deep.  It doesn't mesh, from what I've seen.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 10:38:34 AM »
Yeah, HoM, you'll want to check out the -entire- episode next time. You've definitely been missing the other half of the show. There's a quirkiness about it that is enticing and cute.

However, I'm also liking the tones of whos-who and double agents going on. As well, it's interesting to see how two different branches of government can just get in each others way and how neither of the two trust one another. (Those two being the CIA and NSA in this instance.)
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 04:55:56 PM »
I really enjoy Adam Baldwin in this, though I think part of it is because whenever I see him I think about Jayne and laugh.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 07:45:14 PM »
Chuck was good, but Reaper was way better. I'd give chuck a 7.5/10 on the first episode, but only a 6/10 on the second, which fell short for me and made me wonder how well they'll be able to carry the series on the current premise.

Reaper, on the other hand, would get an 8.5/10 and an 8/10 for the first two episodes. Really good television, and the promise of a whole lot more to come. I have high hopes.

Still have to check out Pushing Daisies, which is also supposed to be excellent.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 07:49:55 PM »
Aha, I see that Missi Peregrym is in Reaper--that explains her absence on Heroes.

Is CW a cable channel? I don't think I get it. Bummer.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 08:11:05 PM »
CW is channel 15 Fell, it use to be the WB but they merged with UPN to become CW.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 08:15:17 PM »
I watched the opening episode of Chuck and thought it was mildly amusing, but not enough to keep up with it. The parody elements are really funny, and while I love Adam Baldwin, I hate his character. The rest of it, well... they try to hit too many elements for me. Geek culture, conspiracy theories, big action, hot babes, etc. Too many cooks with spoons in that soup.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 04:09:17 PM »
I saw the third episode of this last night, and it still really amuses me.  Though for complete honesty, I missed parts because of small children running around.  But what I saw I thought was funny.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 10:58:46 PM »
The creator of Chuck just walked past my desk. Mmm, I love my job.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 01:33:03 AM »
Oh? Coolness. Why was he at your office?

I'm still pretty hooked on this show. I do wish they'd flesh out Adam Baldwin's character a bit more. But it's quite the romp with some good substance too.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 06:32:31 PM »
To discuss adapting one of our properties, apparently.

I loved the Klingon-speaking in this week's episode.