Author Topic: College prep comic books  (Read 3563 times)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
College prep comic books
« on: September 21, 2007, 10:18:42 PM »
First off, how is it that we have SE as a root-level member here but there is no section devoted entirely to comic books?  No matter.

I ran across this and thought that people here would get a kick out of it, and since it does have something to do with comic books, and SE is a root-level member here, that I would post it.  Fun, no?

http://www.lewrockwell.com/reed/reed130.html
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Re: College prep comic books
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 04:53:10 AM »
First off, how is it that we have SE as a root-level member here but there is no section devoted entirely to comic books?  No matter.

Not that he hasn't tried to get one. I still don't know why we don't have one. I mean, right now we post comic reviews and etc in the Books section, and I find lumping them together rather annoying.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 01:06:06 PM »
Wild Thought: This guy's obviously never read himself many comics and is only bashing on them because Kaplan has decided to take a really dumb route to "educate" their users to profit more, but he didn't take the time to see this because he's too busy trying to roll every other point he has into his "I Hate the Education System" which would have been just fine and dandy without the need to bash on comics. Dick.

Sorry, but that article upset me a bit. I'm not going to say comic books shouldn't be taught in a college setting, but when they are the professor who's using them ought to know his material. I had a professor who taught a comic book, Watchmen, in one of his classes up in Canton NY. Guy knew the material and handled it well.

What kind of a "kick" did you get out of that article Skar?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 02:46:59 PM »
yeah, the author's ignorance was evident from paragraph one. A classic victim of DTMS

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 06:44:22 PM »
I tried to read it, and I understand that the guy was shooting for and over-the-top, Seanbaby style of rant writing, but it was too much. I've rarely read something so simultaneously condescending and uninformed.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 06:59:43 PM »
I enjoyed that article on a stylistic level more than anything else.   

He didn't push any of my particular buttons, but then, I haven't read many comics since high-school.

He makes his living writing sarcastic, intensely negative columns about everything.  It's a niche market.  And even I can only take a bit of him at a time.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 07:02:23 PM »
It just seems odd to push a columnist as good when he's clearly trying to tear things down -- good, worthwhile things -- without understanding them.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 07:22:34 PM »
Good heavens.  Who is "pushing" him as "good"? 

I said some people here might get a kick out of it.

And I'm slightly mystified by the violent reaction to his "bashing on comics" when he didn't really bash on comics.  As Gemm pointed out he was really bashing on Kaplan and the education system.  The closest he came to bashing on comics was when he claimed his daughter doesn't read "dimwit comics"  I presumed that this was as opposed to the OTHER kind of comics, presumably the NON-DIMWIT comics.

And, frankly, I'm totally ok with him tearing away at the idea that spoon-feeding basic vocabulary to high-school students through graphic novels is fine and normal and NOT a telling indicator of the state of our educational system.

If I inadvertently offended anyone by posting that link (I'm looking at you SE) I sincerely apologize.  Giving anyone a bad day was the furthest thing from my mind.

-Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 08:23:11 PM »
Actually, there are some really great graphic novels out there that can be just as much literature as a novel. So I just don't really understand the objection.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 01:07:09 PM »
I wasn't offended, I, in turn, am sorry if I gave that impression.

Lines like this, "But no, that’s not it. We’re using comic books to prepare high-school graduates for universities! So help me. Honest"

That's a *very* loaded sentence. OH NOES! Not comic books! NOOOOOOO! I have no problem with spoonfeeding high school students *anything* from *any* type of book. They're not learnign the vocab in school, so they go to prepare themselves for a test elsewhere, and you want to bash them for it? Ok, fine, it's an indication of the school system problems, but he's tearing down the solution, not the problem. That's silly.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 08:53:33 PM »
Yes, he does that a lot.

-Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 11:20:15 PM »
These Kaplan books are our books, and they're getting a LOT of press. The media loves these.

I'm not sure if they're selling, though.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!