Author Topic: Heroes: Season 2 Spoilers  (Read 13880 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Heroes: Season 2 Spoilers
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 08:33:25 AM »
Um. I have no idea what chupacabra is.

Chupacabras are a Big Foot or Lock Ness type creature since a lot of people think they exsist but there's not real evidence they do.  Basically they're small dog (or alien creatures depending on who you ask) that suck blood out of cattle, the stories are based out of central America.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 01:13:01 PM »
It's still very hard for me to take George Takei seriously as the serious, traditional, conservative father figure since I learned he was gay.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 05:39:54 PM »
He's doing a very authentic authoritative Japanese business executive accent though, in both languages. I'm very happy with his acting in this series.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 07:14:07 PM »
Chupacabras are a Big Foot or Lock Ness type creature since a lot of people think they exsist but there's not real evidence they do.  Basically they're small dog (or alien creatures depending on who you ask) that suck blood out of cattle, the stories are based out of central America.

I've seen stories where they're a goat, too.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 11:23:14 PM »
Well, they suck the blood from goats (chupa=suck cabras=goats). I suppose they could be cannibals. Here's a recent news story: http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0902Chupacabra0902.html
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 03:18:05 PM »
He's doing a very authentic authoritative Japanese business executive accent though, in both languages. I'm very happy with his acting in this series.

Oh, don't get me wrong. His acting is impeccable. I just keep seeing him at the Shatner roast though, where his accent was quite different.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
Chupacabras are the classic, and most common, "boggeyman" figure in Mexico. The name translates as "goatsucker," like Ookla said, and they're usually portrayed as a really feral or animalistic vampire, though they can be other things. When I lived in Mexico it was very common to see their former president Carlos Salinas portrayed as a chupacabra, because he was a vicious crook who bilked the country out of billions of dollars.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2007, 06:34:38 AM »
Huzzah! Go metaphor!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007, 07:52:13 PM »
Last night's episode was pretty good, though I continue to be upset that they're repeating old superpowers (Kensei can regenerate) instead of coming up with new ones. And if Alejandro turns out to just be a healer, that may push me over the edge into futile, meaningless rage.

Thoughts:

Yay cute Irish chick! And boo the Irish accents--we've seen six Irish characters so far, and none of them have them same accent; half of them can't even match themselves from line to line.

Speaking of language, the Spanish is great. I've always thought one of the best parts of the show was its willingness to present entire scenes in foreign languages, but since I don't speak Japanese I had no idea how accurate it was. If the Spanish is any indication, the accents and dialogue are great. Alejandro said one word that I thought was kind of weird, but that might just be a Guatemalan thing for all I know--overall, the Spanish pleases me greatly.

Maya is one spooky lady. I can't wait to learn more about her power, and about Alejandro's--he's got a very "Green Mile" vibe going right now, and I don't mind replacing my "he negates powers" prediction with "he can absorb sickness and damage into himself," especially if that ends up biting him in the butt when he absorbs too much of it.

Creepy flying boy continues to irk me, mostly because all he does is annoy Claire and peep through her window. Also, I don't believe for a minute that Claire would just cut off her toe right there in the living room--she'd go to the bathroom, it would bleed like a mother, and then it would grow back. This was way too clean and painless.

I'm really liking the ongoing story with Suresh and Bennet (and, I assume, Parkman, though they haven't actually included him in it yet). Bringing back the Haitian was great, and when they faked us out with making it look like he ran off, I bought it completely; seeing him show up with Bennet at the end was great.

Whatever attacked Mrs. Petrelli in the police station is creepy. This show can do creepy very well when it wants to.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 01:58:49 AM »
I was very happy when Peter started gaining back his powers very quickly. As previously mentioned, I hate amnesia stories, so I hope it doesn't last long. And I also loved the end with Bennet and the Haitian.

Flying boy doesn't bug me as much, I'm just hoping that little story *goes* somewhere soon. And I'm sad to say that I'm totally not enjoying Hiro's story, because I love Hiro and want to care about what he's doing. But the whole ancient Japan thing... just not doing it for me.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 12:40:59 PM »
i love the ancient Japan thing. I constantly think about super powers (not magic) in a more medieval setting. I just wish Hiro would get the girl. He has the coolest lines (though I'm sad they're in Japanese so theres no point in recording a sound bite so my computer can say "Have you seen a scary white man." *sigh*

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 02:59:20 PM »
The ancient Japan stuff is neat, but it doesn't have any of the urgency that we saw last season.  For that matter, I think even the modern stuff needs to step up the urgency.  Last season we had Isaac's prophecies and Hiro's vision of the nukes--that gave everyone an important deadline.  So far this season everyone's just hanging out a bit.  Stuff is happening, but there's no one really seems to have much drive.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 06:37:55 PM »
The Japanese is great...except I think the stuff back in time is in modern Japanese rather than the kind spoken at the time. I didn't hear any "de gozaru"s, and no one bats an eye when Hiro uses anglicisms. Also, the girl started talking like a giddy anime voice actress after Hiro did his thing. I don't know how issues like that are handled in current historical samurai dramas, so they may just be doing things the same way they're currently done in Japan.

I was annoyed that Hiro's dad seems to actually be dead.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2007, 06:47:33 PM »
So far we have several major plots (along with some stupid ones like "Claire needs to fit into high school"), but there are a few that seem to be the driving forces behind the season:

1) Someone is killing Sulu and Mrs. Petrelli (and, I assume, the others in the company). Unfortunately, since these were all bad guys last season, I don't feel bad about them dying, so there's no sense of urgency.

2) There's a plague affecting the supers. But so far it's only affected 3, and the only one who died was 30 years ago, so again, no urgency. Compared to a nuke going off in New York, this plot problem is boring.

3) Bennet and Suresh are infiltrating the company. Yay, but too pro-active--they're not racing against time to solve a scary mystery, they're just being calm and methodical.

4) Someone scary as all crap is haunting Molly's dreams. This is the plot that's going to take us somewhere--this is season 2's nuke, so to speak, or at least it's the only thing we've seen so far that has the right potential. Sometime in the next two episodes we need to learn more about this guy, see the devastating effects of his power, and get a glimpse of mankind's horrible fate if he is not stopped.

Now, obviously there are more plots than this, but somehow I don't see "Hiro helps Kensei become legendary" or "Peter becomes an Irish gangster" turning into the main story that ties all the other threads together. It needs to be one of these four, or something new we haven't seen yet, but whatever it is we need to see it explode very soon. I think the main problem this season is actually not the plot but the mystery--the heroes are all too comfortable with their powers, with the obvious exception of Maya. Season one, regardless of nukes or Sylar or anything else, was primarily about "holy crap what's happening to me," and we don't really have that this season. I don't want to complain too much, because the plot seems more planned this season, and we're likely not going to have the long stretches of treading water while the writers tried to figure out what to do next. I just hope the urgency comes, and comes quickly.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007, 01:34:30 AM »
I'm liking this season so far.

I'm liking the Feudal Japan story-line and the story-line with the old gaurd heroes.

I also like that Nikki/Jessica hasn't made an appearance yet. She just annoys me.

I agree that Claire cutting off her toe in the living room was stupid. But Claire is turning into quite the little masochist.

Unlike Fell, I like that they are repeating super-powers. The premise of the show demands it. It doesn't make sense in their hyper-evolutionary psuedo-science for every person with the mutation to have a different power. A lot of people should have evolved similar, if not identical powers.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.