Author Topic: knee update  (Read 1988 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
knee update
« on: March 09, 2005, 05:05:38 PM »
I want to rant, i don't care if you don't want to listen

The day after my injury, I started using elevators to and from the subway as often as possible. Both for the practical reason that it was painful to walk and that I was ... "wary" is too gentle a word, but "frightened" is to harsh ... of using the escalator. I leaned on the bannister and stood still whenever there was no way around using escalators, letting myself feel a little self-pity and a little quesy as well. Yes, I'm a baby.

After a couple days I was able to walk without a real limp. Though stairs still gave me trouble. Also, kneeling is still right out. Which means I sit on the couch for family prayer (which makes my kids not want to kneel) but also that I don't have to help work on my in-laws' kitchen. Yay!

Monday the elevator at the end of my trip was out of service, so I had to take the escalator that actually wounded me. Or else go to the far exit and show up above ground a full block from work. I'm lazier than I am babyish, so I rode the Escalator of Doom. My mind panic, but there was no shaking. This overcame pretty much all my psychosomatic problems. Yesterday I was back to business as usual as far as moving around is concerned.

The knee gets really irritated during the day, since the thick bandages annoy me greatly and so the stitches rub up against my jeans. Also, last night it was even more sensitive than usually, and I couldn't sleep. However,healing seems to be progressing. The bruises are gone and the ends of the wound seem pretty well closed. Down at the bottom is a giant black scab. The whole thing is already noticeably scarred.

and it ITCHES! Dear God it itches! Despite the pain reripping the wound would certainly cause, I sometimes feel a vertigo-like compulsion to scratch it violently till the itch disappears, as if I were a junky in need of a fix. Fortunately, I seem to have enough will power.
So far.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: knee update
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 06:40:50 PM »
The escalator was just luring you into a false sense of security while it plotted its next assault.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 07:42:53 PM »
I have not discounted that plan. I took the elevator again today.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 02:11:03 AM »
I shall have to break it...  ;D
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 08:58:56 AM »
yeah, I'm still waiting for you to bring me those neon knee pads.

in other news THE ITCHING! MAKE IT STOP! PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 01:28:42 PM »
Lotion?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 01:45:10 PM »
I treat it frequently. It's hard to get at your knee when you have your long pants on though.