Author Topic: Hoid??  (Read 99783 times)

KhyEllie

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hoid??
« Reply #255 on: February 06, 2010, 06:10:28 AM »
I was wondering how Adonalsium was a shard when people were calling them 'shards of adonalsium'. Makes sense Brandon wouldn't clear it all up in one sentence.
Mind giving me a refresher on a voice talking to Lightsong?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 06, 2010, 06:56:39 AM »
Before his return in "Heaven" he hears a voice give him a command....which is why he gives up his breath (I haven't read it in sometime someone please confirm)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #257 on: February 06, 2010, 08:37:14 AM »
Kaz basically has it right. It's the point near the very end, where Llarimar tells him Lightsong's true past. Then, in the next scene, Lightsong flashes back to the time when he actually died. A "Voice" speaks to him, and tells him to Return.

By the way, that Shard's name is confirmed to be called "Endowment", KhyEllie. Good to have you here.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 08, 2010, 09:21:02 AM »
KhyEllie-
One quick thing- Afraid that Slowswift isn't Hoid. He's actually based off of 'Grandpa Tolkein'. Hoid is the whistling beggar that Vin gets spooked off by. (Brandon said this in the HoA thread)

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 09, 2010, 03:43:19 AM »
Whistling?  I thought he was humming...
I can confirm that I've read the same thing about Slowswift = Tolkien though.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #260 on: February 09, 2010, 04:25:07 AM »
Yup, I definitely remember that as well. Of course, that's because on the MB3 spoiler thread I made the misconception Slowswift was Hoid, and Brandon corrected me. The wound still stings ;)

A small bit of solace comes from not being the only one who made the mistake, I suppose.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Elusive Fehler

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Near Empyrean
« Reply #261 on: February 22, 2010, 05:13:38 AM »
So have I read hints on this board that Hoid took a bead of Lerasium from the Well site before Elend did, if so I want to see Mistborn Hoid out flying around sometime.  Or do we think that he has some other use for the Lerasium?
"Who would sup with the mighty must climb the path of daggers," — The Path of Daggers

NearEmpyrean.com

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 22, 2010, 05:23:29 AM »

I'm inclined to believe they took it as a souvenir rather than to use.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 22, 2010, 05:46:51 AM »
So have I read hints on this board that Hoid took a bead of Lerasium from the Well site before Elend did, if so I want to see Mistborn Hoid out flying around sometime.  Or do we think that he has some other use for the Lerasium?

Well, isn't Lerasium a piece of Preservations body, just as Atium is a piece of Ruin? Maybe he's gathering shards of the shards of Adonalsium...
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Elusive Fehler

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Near Empyrean
« Reply #264 on: February 22, 2010, 03:27:11 PM »

I'm inclined to believe they took it as a souvenir rather than to use.

Now I am stuck with the idea that Hoid is gong around to beef up his shard souvenir collection(read like stamp collection).  So he now has a super rare piece of Leras right before Leras died.
"Who would sup with the mighty must climb the path of daggers," — The Path of Daggers

NearEmpyrean.com

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 28, 2010, 06:34:00 AM »
Here's my theory on Hoid. :P

I shall assume Adonalsium was sentient. For all intents and purposes, let's compare it to a crystal. A sentient, magical crystal. When Adonalsium was "broken" into shards, however that may have happened, the sentience of the crystal was not. It carried through to each shard, and on each planet the shard is on, the sentience of the crystal manifests itself in the civilizations. These manifestations are Hoid.

Poke holes in as you will. :D

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #266 on: March 02, 2010, 10:52:53 PM »
Raphael -
I like the whole sentient idea. But I think it would be cool if Hoid somehow "knew" Adonalsium or of it's power or something of the like. And he's planet hopping trying to put it all together to have magnificent awesomeness ensue.
Kind of like Kagome and Inuyasha searching for Shards of the Shikon Jewel, perhaps?
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 03, 2010, 03:31:19 AM »
Raphael -
I like the whole sentient idea. But I think it would be cool if Hoid somehow "knew" Adonalsium or of it's power or something of the like. And he's planet hopping trying to put it all together to have magnificent awesomeness ensue.
Kind of like Kagome and Inuyasha searching for Shards of the Shikon Jewel, perhaps?
Go InuYasha. :D

I like your idea as well. :D

zarepath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 04, 2010, 01:53:28 PM »
So there's supposedly a super evil shard in WoK, and I remember reading once (I think) that the shards all kind of oppose each other, like Ruin/Preservation.  (Confirmation on that note?)

After reading Brandon's summary of WoK's back story, and how the Voidbringers are trying to pull men into Damnation, I'm wondering if Damnation is the name of the super evil shard in WoK (since it's all capitalized and all).  It seems to fit the mold for shards (Ruin, Preservation, Endowment, Damnation), and I can totally see there being an opposing shard called Salvation. 

Thoughts?

Also, if that dual shard theory is legit, what would be the shard opposing Endowment? 

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 04, 2010, 03:30:46 PM »
Also, if that dual shard theory is legit, what would be the shard opposing Endowment? 
Deprivation?