Author Topic: Hoid??  (Read 103127 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Hoid??
« Reply #225 on: December 13, 2009, 10:42:01 AM »
I think that we all have parts of the greater puzzle... We really just need to pool it all together... Take all the crap that is scattered about this thread, and consolidate it into one big post, maybe start a new thread for all that we know about him... and then another with sightings...

And as for Dragonsteel... I recall Brandon saying that he's incorporating parts of it into WoK...

Yes, which is why I didn't say more.  I also found some other things I had put aside.  I really find Hoid and his motives coming together VERY well in my mind.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Jingle bells, Batman Smells...
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 13, 2009, 10:47:10 AM »
Ah, but what of his means of world jumping? Or is that covered in Dragonsteel?
¿snoıɹǝs os ʎɥʍ 'ʎllɐǝɹ 'ou no, really, why so serious?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 13, 2009, 10:48:39 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's related to something that will be discussed in WoK, at least I'm pretty sure EUOL said the thing I believe he uses for that is addressed there.

EDIT:: And I think it is touched upon in Dragonsteel.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 13, 2009, 10:53:53 AM »
It will be discussed in WoK, I'm fairly sure of it. Silly EUOL and his noncommittal answers... Ah well, we'll see soon enough.

I'd say more, but I don't wanna go off ruining any of WoK's plot points with my stab-in-the-dark guessing...

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 13, 2009, 10:57:33 AM »

Well, if I remember right he said it WAS going to be there.  At least he told M'ich to ask me about it, but I hadn't heard what he had said right before so I'll have to ask her what was said right before he told her to ask me to be sure.  Plus I need to reread Liar of Partinel and see if I can find the digital copy I have somewhere of Dragonsteel.

BUT I'm pretty sure I understand how he is moving between places and how he does a lot of the things he does, as well as why he does what he does.

EDIT::  No, Hoid couldn't be Topaz.  Topaz wasn't a Lightweaver, and Hoid is for sure.  That's doesn't mean Hoid couldn't use the powers Topaz did have though, nor that Topaz wasn't faking not being a Lightweaver.  Hmmmm.  Much to think about. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:08:03 PM by May-A-Be it's Kwanzaa »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 13, 2009, 08:47:09 PM »
I think if I weren't sick (I hate being sick!)  I might be able to help you out.  As for the obscure refernce, didn't EUOL say he used the stormlights or something?

Also, welcome Mr. J.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 13, 2009, 10:25:55 PM »

Yeah eh did.  He said the Stormlight had something to do with it.  What was it you asked him right before EUOL told you to ask me about planar theory?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 13, 2009, 10:45:12 PM »
I don't remember what exactly I asked.  But apparently he said that Scaderil is meantioned (not by name) in DS.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 13, 2009, 11:29:34 PM »
Throwing in my two cents:

At first, I thought the "two lands [that] meet" were simply Fjorden and Arelon, because I was dead-set on the Elantrians being the "gods [that] have died." After seeing the concept art for WoK, I'm not so sure. Roshar and Shadesmar and undeniably two lands that meet, and we know for a fact that the Shards can die. Perhaps, then, one or more perishes in the plot of HoK, or at least Stormlight Archive in general?

Gah. Discussion about the Shard Cosmology always gets me excited.

EDIT:
planar theory

WHOA.
WHOA.
WHOA.

Prediction time. There are multiple Shards of Adonalsium, something originally much greater and unified, yes? And under planar theory, there are multiple planes of existence?

Each Shardworld could possibly be an extraplanar version of the same planet. If Adonalsium was connected to a single world as the Shards are now, then it's conceivable that the world would shatter in a similar manner - many copies of itself with similar properties, but none of them a perfect recreation.

This also makes Hoid's planet-hopping antics a bit more easily imaginable. Rather than actually flying through time and space to different planets, he's simply shifting which plane he's in.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 11:43:02 PM by TPaS »

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 14, 2009, 12:05:34 AM »
Roshar and Shadesmar! That's the two!

Yeah. EUOL told me that Hoid uses Shadesmar to get from world to world. That was before I knew that Shadesmar was a place that could me mapped, mind. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Shadesmar is a place that is an in between place.. A place that is neither here nor there. Check out http://www.inbetweenplaces.com/ for what I'm talking about... The description on that page seems like a likely description of Shadesmar..

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 14, 2009, 12:22:15 AM »
Actually, the idea of the splitting is a pretty good idea.  (Something that I just thought of that might matter -- what about how he discribed MB and WoK.  He said that MB was the beginning and WoK was in the middle... that sounds important though I'm not sure how.)

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 14, 2009, 12:31:42 AM »
Does EUOL ever say anything that ISN'T important?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 14, 2009, 12:45:41 AM »
Him and Peter both.  *peace sign*  We love you Ook!

Red, White, and Joker

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 14, 2009, 12:51:46 AM »
They seem to both go the route of meaningful, but incomprehensible (until after the fact) unless I'm much mistaken.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 14, 2009, 01:13:19 AM »
Don't take anything in Dragonsteel as gospel truth, since things will change by the time it gets published. But also don't go talking about its details where people who haven't read it can see, since there are parts of it that will spoil future books.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!