Author Topic: Hoid??  (Read 99786 times)

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
Re: Hoid??
« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2009, 07:55:18 PM »
Wow, you guys are *still* going on this?

You really expected us to have something better to do?

EDIT: not adding anything because anything I've discovered has already been posted =) y'all are so dang efficient
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 07:56:51 PM by Natalie Perkins »
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

badlydrawnjeff

« Reply #166 on: July 08, 2009, 09:57:32 PM »
An update to this, per the Twitter interview:

Feifner: #tweettheauthor What do you mean when you say Mistborn is a sequel to Elantris?

Feifner: #tweettheauthor Can Hoid travel through worlds? or, in other words, are all of your "Hoids" one person?

Sanderson: @Feifner I can’t go into details without spoiling it. Suffice it to say that a character from Elantris appears in Mistborn.

Sanderson: @Feifner For the record, this is not a ‘name cameo.’ This is, indeed, the very same person. #tweettheauthor

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #167 on: July 08, 2009, 11:59:15 PM »
In response to those same questions, from the same person, Brandon also said this:

@Feifner Well, ‘Hoid’ the name is an alias that a certain person is using, and he stole it from someone else.

@Feifner But the person named Hoid in Elantris, Mistborn, and Warbreaker are all the same individual..
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Zhalfirin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 09, 2009, 07:42:53 AM »
@Feifner Well, ‘Hoid’ the name is an alias that a certain person is using, and he stole it from someone else.

I guess that could mean that the Hoid we see die in Liar of Partinel isn't the Hoid in the rest of the books. Maybe its Midius that now uses it in memory of his master.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 09, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »
after reading what brandon said, i whole heartedly agree zhalfirin.  i am now under the impression that midius is the person we refer to as Hoid.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 09, 2009, 05:41:25 PM »
That has been my guess for quite some time. (And no, Brandon hasn't told me.) But when Brandon says he got the name from someone else, for me that pretty much confirms it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 05:43:06 PM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 09, 2009, 05:56:15 PM »
Ok, I don't feel bad saying this now, since Brandon basically spilled the beans, but yes, the Liar of Partinel (Midius? It's been a while) is Hoid. He uses the name in honor of his master. He is a viewpoint character in both of the Dragonsteel books that have been written, and I imagine will be for the whole series.

For those who've read the original Dragonsteel, mega-hint-spoiler-thing: for Hoid to appear in multiple stories in multiple worlds, it *would* help a great deal to be immortal.

I have unconfirmed theories on how he travels from world to world. "Hoid" helps a young man in Dragonsteel learn about his own shard, and that young man's shard would be very conducive to FTL travel. At this point, I'm just speculating with the rest of you though. :)
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #172 on: July 09, 2009, 05:59:05 PM »
Heh!  Ook, you know some fan types are going to take the fact you expressed an opinion and take it as delivered from Brandon on High. ;P

Okay, well now this point is moot.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 09, 2009, 06:01:57 PM »
Tage, I've been wondering if that's who Hoid was.

[EDIT: See my post a few pages below where this info is UNCONFIRMED.]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 08:31:29 PM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Nightfire107

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 12, 2009, 11:11:22 AM »
okay a couple things. first hello, i am a student in washington state and new to this.
secondly, i think hoid was taught storrytelling by slowswift. i could be wrong but reading the warbreaker comment hoid said and the ars arkanum in hero of ages something seems to tell me they are connected.
thirdly, those comments i've seen referencing liar and other works. could someone explaine those a bit.

Thanks a bunch.
Wyatt(Nightfire107)
"We're Bridge Four, we've been around. We've liven in the crem and been used as bait. If it helps you survive, it's good. That's all that needs to be said about it."

Zhalfirin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 12, 2009, 08:37:07 PM »
@Nightfire107

Those books like Liar of Partinel and Dragonsteel are unpublished works from Brandon. You can read the first few chapters of Liar online if you google it, as for Dragonsteel that was Brandon's graduate work and can get at by interlibary loan.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #176 on: July 12, 2009, 08:39:57 PM »
Dragonsteel is at the BYU library--if you did want to interlibrary loan it (assuming it's not currently checked out).
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #177 on: July 13, 2009, 05:27:21 AM »
Dragonsteel is at the BYU library--if you did want to interlibrary loan it (assuming it's not currently checked out).

My library sucks at interlibrary loans. I'm still trying to convince them to go out of state. Every time I go, I ask... and I get denied. But I'm confident I'll wear them down eventually.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 13, 2009, 02:34:08 PM »

I returned it to PSU library on Friday, should be back at BYU around 7/15;

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 13, 2009, 09:43:27 PM »
okay a couple things. first hello, i am a student in washington state and new to this.
secondly, i think hoid was taught storrytelling by slowswift. i could be wrong but reading the warbreaker comment hoid said and the ars arkanum in hero of ages something seems to tell me they are connected.
thirdly, those comments i've seen referencing liar and other works. could someone explaine those a bit.

Thanks a bunch.
Wyatt(Nightfire107)

You are right, they do seem connected, but from those that have read Dragonsteel, we have learned that it fits much better into that book, for there is a person named Hoid who teaches someone named Midus where 'two lands meet and gods have died'. It is theorized by those who have  read DragonSteel that Midus is Hoid in all of the other ShardWorlds.

Also,with what Brandon has recently written, I think that Hoid may have been in Terris during the rest of WoA. I don't know why, but it just feels right.

Congratulations on finally discovering what Hoid did! Good job little_wilson!
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”