Author Topic: Hoid??  (Read 103105 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: Hoid??
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2009, 02:26:35 AM »
SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH....don't let them all in on the seceret gosh!!!!!1>:(
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2009, 03:10:33 AM »
I think I found someone that might be Hoid in WoA!!
Here's the quote:

A voice, however, stopped her. The speaker was a middle-aged man with an ash-stained beard and a dirty cap held nervously in his hands. He was a storng man, probably a mill worker. His quiet voice seemed a contrast to hist powerful build. "Lady Heir. What will become of us?"
              The terror--the uncertainty--in the large man's voice was so piteous that Vin hestitated. He regarded her with hopeful eyes, as did most of the others.
pg 229 WoA

The bearded  at the front continued to twist his cap, however, looking at Vin.  "They're right frightened Lady Heir. Right frightened."
pg 230 WoA

Right after this,  Vin said that she would help the people, and protect as best she could.  It is the first time she says anything like it to the people (if I remember right)

Maybe, but the "strong build" doesn't really fit with the rest of the excerpts, which describe Hoid as scrawny.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

deathgate

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2009, 08:30:42 PM »
Would be kind of Hitchcock coolness if Hoid has a mention in WOT/TGS.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2009, 08:54:37 PM »
No it wouldn't.  That would be a bad thing.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2009, 09:07:45 PM »
I really don't think Brandon would do that. There is a reason to Hoid beyond just making cameos. Whatever that reason is, it's absent in WoT.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #140 on: May 03, 2009, 10:59:49 AM »
Something to do with the Shards religion isn't it?
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 03, 2009, 04:42:49 PM »
More cosmology than religion, but yes.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2009, 04:29:06 PM »
I ditto Ookla on this one.  Brandon has got far too much respect for WoT to add his own signature character to it.  It'd be like he was claiming it for himself, which he would be, and the fans would rightly rip him to shreds.

But he doesn't need the fan-threat to not do it.  He is a fan, and so will not do it himself.
Nature hates being reified.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2009, 08:12:16 PM »
Nice finds, Zas!  I definitely like the oddly-white-beard connection, sounds to me like a promising theory.
He ate my horse.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2009, 02:34:40 AM »
On the topic of Hoid in WoA....
So I asked Brandon Sanderson at the release party if Hoid was the man I mentioned earier, or if it  was the old man who claims Sazed to be the Holy First Witness, or the guy who found the correct properties for duraluminum, and Brandon said no.

But he did say that he was in there.

Now I'll have to reread WoA after reading Warbreaker.....
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2009, 04:28:58 PM »
If I remember correctly he was the informant that Vin had a bad feeling about and decided to not go see. >>'  I think.  I could be way wrong.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2009, 04:38:21 PM »
If I remember correctly he was the informant that Vin had a bad feeling about and decided to not go see. >>'  I think.  I could be way wrong.
In HoA, he was, but  Zas is referring to WoA. There's no mention of Hoid in that book--at least not by name. But Brandon says he's in there, and I (and apparently a few others) are curious who he is....Oh, and thanks for asking him that, Zas. I'd forgotten all about it.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2009, 04:43:32 PM »
Oops, I totally read WoA as HoA. xD Silly me.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SomeHackWriter

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Join Hack on MySpace!
« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2009, 10:08:59 PM »
At the very least, Brandon created a character to play as himself if the movies are ever made  :D

I like this idea. I will picture Brandon as Hoid from now on  :D

I agree with this as well.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2009, 06:29:08 PM »
Hmmmm....
"I was just passing by, Master Terrisman," Tuer said. "On the path twenty yards yon. I seen old jed working his field--a hard worker he was. Some og us took a break when the lords left, but old Jed just kept on. Guess he knew we'd be needing food for the winter, lords or no lords."
WoA

Tuer goes on to explain that he say Jed become mistfallen, and Jed died. I don't know what this would mean if Jed was Hoid.....

But then again...
Hoid seems to not only be an old guy, but someone who is good at what he does (FE and Warbreaker) but also someone who tries to help the main characters out. In Elantris is was moving the boxes. In FE it was informing Kelsier. In HoA he tried to give information to Vin, but she got spooked. In Warbreaker, he gave critical information to Siri and Lightsong.

So we just need to find someone that helped out our heroes without being too showy about it. And that probably rules out Old Jed. Besides the fact that he is dead.

Edit- spelling
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”