Author Topic: Hoid??  (Read 103076 times)

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
Re: Hoid??
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2008, 04:40:43 AM »
Hoid354
--
I like the name =) Perhaps it is you that is the one popping in everywhere and confusing the hell out of all of us.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2008, 05:03:10 AM »
could he be a shard? Brandon had said that:
 You've interacted with two directly.
One is a tough call.  You've never met the Shard itself, but you've seen its power. 
The other one you have not met directly, but have seen its influence.

The characters have sometimes interacted with hoid, although in HoA Vin decided to skip the visit.  And we have possibily seen his influence, seeing how we don't know the extent of his powers, but he is appearing in multiple places so that might fit in. We also havent exactly met the shard directly, but everyone knows about ti, making it a tough call.... and we have seen its power, planet hopping

So long as that quote is accurate, Hoid cannot be a shard. Kell spoke directly to Hoid in The Final Empire.

And I'm thinking the other two Shards are the Dor and whomever is sending Returned back. Of course, that really belongs in the Shards thread.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Stu

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2008, 05:09:40 PM »
So long as that quote is accurate, Hoid cannot be a shard. Kell spoke directly to Hoid in The Final Empire.

And I'm thinking the other two Shards are the Dor and whomever is sending Returned back. Of course, that really belongs in the Shards thread.
Kelsier speaking to him directly would fit under the: "you've interacted directly with two of them" part would it not.  And it is true that brandon said that there are only two shards on Scadriel, but hoid is a planet jumper so he probably left the planet, or he isn't based on the planet, which would mean that there still are only two shards on the planet, as of now.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2008, 06:22:55 PM »

Kelsier speaking to him directly would fit under the: "you've interacted directly with two of them" part would it not.  And it is true that brandon said that there are only two shards on Scadriel, but hoid is a planet jumper so he probably left the planet, or he isn't based on the planet, which would mean that there still are only two shards on the planet, as of now.

Except that the two we've interacted with directly are almost certainly Ruin and Preservation.
Nature hates being reified.

Stu

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2008, 01:05:39 AM »
Here's the entire quote:
Readers have met four shards other than Ruin and Preservation.

You've interacted with two directly.
One is a tough call.  You've never met the Shard itself, but you've seen its power. 
The other one you have not met directly, but have seen its influence.

I didn't put the entire quote before because I didn't think it was pertinant, I know see that it is, sorry.  More information is on the shards thread.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2008, 07:27:37 PM »
I'd forgotten that Brandon released some of Liar online. Well, how's this for a clue? (And keep in mind that this is just from what I remember...) Chronologically speaking, Liar of Partinel takes place before *any* of the other books. The Hoid you met in Liar's early chapters did die, but he's not the Hoid about whom everyone is currently speculating.

So I should probably revise my earlier statement. There is technically more than one person named Hoid in the Brandonverse, but only one of them is "the" Hoid.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2008, 07:29:07 PM »
Okay. That makes more sense. And it makes this even more fascinating....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2008, 05:40:12 AM »
So I should probably revise my earlier statement. There is technically more than one person named Hoid in the Brandonverse, but only one of them is "the" Hoid.

Wow... now that's gonna confuse me.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2008, 03:12:02 PM »
I'm just gonna go ahead and assume he means that someone named Hoid died in Dragonsteel...but since then, Brandon has changed who/what Hoid is.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Tino Didriksen

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • A Howl on the Wind...
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2009, 12:38:19 AM »
Hoid reminds me of Zifnab / Fizban / Zanfib from Weis and Hickman's various works.

Not something one needs to ponder deeply, but a familiar figure to assure you whose books you're reading.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2009, 02:45:50 AM »
Hoid reminds me of Zifnab / Fizban / Zanfib from Weis and Hickman's various works.

Not something one needs to ponder deeply, but a familiar figure to assure you whose books you're reading.

I'm not familiar with the reference, but given some of Hoid's enigmatic statements, especially in Warbreaker, I'm not at all certain he can be ignored with any kind of impunity, at least not if you want to catch the overall cosmology that's been hinted at.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2009, 04:20:52 PM »
SPOILER

So we know that ruin and preservation are combined at the end of HoA into on "shard" being sazed. It is also theorized there that it is there original form and something in the past happened to separate them. 

My theory on HOID is that he is also fragments of a single shard that was shattered long ago.  The big difference being that the  fragments are on separate planets and rather then keeping one power over another they all share a bit of the same power.  Now that they have been shattered that power would be weekend.  Also, I think it is really impossible to destroy a shard.  Hoid may die on one planet but he will be reborn there as well to be a reoccurring theme to collect the stories of the planet and try to help guide it with his stories from other planets.  We never did see Ruin and Preservation destroyed, just combined.

As for his conversation in Warbreaker I think they are referring to Mistborn. We saw gods die with the Lord Ruler, Ruin, and Preservation as well as two lands come together with the end of HOA bringing together the land of ashfall and the land of sunlight.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2009, 05:09:35 PM »
SPOILER

So we know that ruin and preservation are combined at the end of HoA into on "shard" being sazed. It is also theorized there that it is there original form and something in the past happened to separate them. 

My theory on HOID is that he is also fragments of a single shard that was shattered long ago.  The big difference being that the  fragments are on separate planets and rather then keeping one power over another they all share a bit of the same power.  Now that they have been shattered that power would be weekend.  Also, I think it is really impossible to destroy a shard.  Hoid may die on one planet but he will be reborn there as well to be a reoccurring theme to collect the stories of the planet and try to help guide it with his stories from other planets.  We never did see Ruin and Preservation destroyed, just combined.

As for his conversation in Warbreaker I think they are referring to Mistborn. We saw gods die with the Lord Ruler, Ruin, and Preservation as well as two lands come together with the end of HOA bringing together the land of ashfall and the land of sunlight.

Most of these ideas have already been discussed in this or other threads.  Most of us believe that Hoid is not a shard, and that he was not referring to Mistborn (it doesn't really fit).

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2009, 08:21:18 PM »
Hoid is definitely referring to the Dragonsteel world but you can't know that if you haven't read Dragonsteel.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2009, 08:26:43 PM »
Anyway to get a hand on dragonsteel.  I see alot of references to it and would like to read it.