Author Topic: Hoid??  (Read 103067 times)

Stu

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hoid??
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2008, 08:04:39 PM »
Except wouldn't Elantris mention 1,000 years of Ash and Mists?

Plus the fact that Brandon Sanderson said that the only two shards on Scadrial are Ruin and Preservation.
If Elantris and Mistborn were on the same world, where would the power of the Dor come from?

Zas
The people of elantris could have halted it.

Dor could have been introduced, possibly by Hoid.  Also, I would say that the shards end up taking a form, Ruin and Preservarion both had thought and bodies, so Dor might not be a shard or the shard itself is not on the planet.  Or it couldnt be true, but Brandon Sanderson did say: "There is life on the other pole.  I will RAFO any other questions about it, though."  When asked about life on the other side of the planet.

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2008, 11:16:51 PM »
But I think they were placed there by TLR.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2008, 12:55:00 AM »
Wow, it's been a long time since I looked at this thread. It's also been a while since Brandon explained his Unified Brandon Sanderson Metaverse Theory, but from what I remember...

Elantris, Dragonsteel, and Mistborn take place on different worlds, though they are in the same universe.
Hoid is the same person in all the books. It's not a title or group or anything, it's actually the same guy.

"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2008, 01:42:29 AM »
Now we have something to go on

Since Hoid is one person, that probably means that either he has a lot of power, a awesome vehicle, or some kind of link to the Shards

Zas
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2008, 01:46:33 AM »
SPOILERS

What if Hoid is what Sazed becomes at the end of HoA, but from a different planet? Hoid was perhaps once just a regular man, but then he touched a shard and become a God? Or maybe he is something less, but still ultimately powerful? Maybe a watcher, or a trainer or new holders of the Shards? I dunno, I'm just throwing random things out there.  :D

hoid354

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2008, 05:51:59 PM »
Wow, it's been a long time since I looked at this thread. It's also been a while since Brandon explained his Unified Brandon Sanderson Metaverse Theory, but from what I remember...

Elantris, Dragonsteel, and Mistborn take place on different worlds, though they are in the same universe.
Hoid is the same person in all the books. It's not a title or group or anything, it's actually the same guy.

How could it be the same person? I remember someone saying (either in this thread or the mistborn spoiler thread) that somebody named Hoid dies in the beginning of Liar of Partinel.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2008, 07:37:17 PM »
Liar of Partinel would be later in Hoid's life then the others. And I'm not completely sure about the Hoid being the same guy. As far as I can tell (from others and when I talked to him) Brandon's always been very vague on that particular point, saying that someone named Hoid died, but never coming out and saying they're the same person....But I'm 99.9% sure he's said they're all in the same universe (at least the ones with Hoid....).
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2008, 01:04:14 AM »
And I'm not completely sure about the Hoid being the same guy.

Tage just clarified that it's the same guy. And why not? A group or anything else seems like a stretch to me.

How could it be the same person? I remember someone saying (either in this thread or the mistborn spoiler thread) that somebody named Hoid dies in the beginning of Liar of Partinel.

And if he really is a planet jumper, is it not possible that he jumps planets by dying on one and being reborn on another? Completely retaining his previous knowledge of course.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2008, 01:11:36 AM »
I'm just about positive that Brandon mentioned Hoid on Writing Excuses this time around. He didn't actually say anything about him, but...

Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2008, 02:19:24 AM »
Tage just clarified that it's the same guy. And why not? A group or anything else seems like a stretch to me.

Yeah, I know. My main point is that he says Brandon said that a while ago. Maybe that's the case. I'm just saying that lately Brandon has been RAFOing all things Hoid--at least things like this having to do with whether it's the same person or not. I'm more inclined to think it is, but as far as I know, Brandon hasn't said they are.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2008, 07:24:14 PM »
I still think his answer to Siri in Warbreaker about where he learned his storytelling technique should be strong evidence for the planet-jumping capability.  The description is foreign to anything I have read, although I am not familiar with Dragonsteel or Liar.
Nature hates being reified.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2008, 07:40:53 PM »
I agree. I definitely don't think he's referring to anything on the Warbreaker world, so therefore he can planet-hop. And I think Natalie's idea about his planet-hopping (that he dies and is reborn with the same memories on a different planet) makes sense. There obviously could be other reasons as well, but this one works. I rather like it.

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2008, 01:18:29 AM »
I am not familiar with Dragonsteel or Liar.
Good, lol, they refer to the same book. =]
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Stu

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2008, 03:53:28 AM »
could he be a shard? Brandon had said that:
 You've interacted with two directly.
One is a tough call.  You've never met the Shard itself, but you've seen its power. 
The other one you have not met directly, but have seen its influence.

The characters have sometimes interacted with hoid, although in HoA Vin decided to skip the visit.  And we have possibily seen his influence, seeing how we don't know the extent of his powers, but he is appearing in multiple places so that might fit in. We also havent exactly met the shard directly, but everyone knows about ti, making it a tough call.... and we have seen its power, planet hopping
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 03:56:49 AM by Stu »

hoid354

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2008, 04:28:50 PM »
could he be a shard? Brandon had said that:
 You've interacted with two directly.
One is a tough call.  You've never met the Shard itself, but you've seen its power. 
The other one you have not met directly, but have seen its influence.

The characters have sometimes interacted with hoid, although in HoA Vin decided to skip the visit.  And we have possibily seen his influence, seeing how we don't know the extent of his powers, but he is appearing in multiple places so that might fit in. We also havent exactly met the shard directly, but everyone knows about ti, making it a tough call.... and we have seen its power, planet hopping

I think that he might be... that would explain, if Natalie's theory is incorrect, how he could die in Liar. This is when Vin is about to visit Hoid in HoA:
A few quick jumps brought her to the location. She landed atop a roof and looked down, scanning the area. The ash had been allowed to drift here, piling in corners, making a general mess of things. A group of lumps huddled in an alley beside the square. Beggars, without home or job. Vin had lived like that at times, sleeping in alleys, coughing up ash, hoping it wouldnt rain. She soon located a figure that wasn't sleeping like the others, but sitting quietly in the light ashfall. Her ears picked out a faint sound. The man was humming to himself, as the instructions said he might be doing.
Vin hesitated.
She couldnt decide what it was, but something bothered her about the situation. It wasn't right. She didn't stop to think, she simply turned and jumped away. That was one of the big differences between her and Elend - she didn't always need a reason. A feeling was enough. He always wanted to tease things out and find a why, and she loved him for his logic. However, he would have been very frustrated about her decision to turn away from the square as she had.
Perhaps nothing bad would have happened if she'd gone into the square. Perhaps something terrible would have occured. She would never know, nor did she need to know. As she had countless other times in her life, Vin simply accepted her instincts and moved on.
It sounds like some kind of power was driving Vin away... perhaps the power of a Shard?