Author Topic: Hoid??  (Read 99811 times)

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
Re: Hoid??
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2008, 09:45:34 PM »
I liked Homeward Bounders a lot.  Haven't read it for a few years.
~금강산도 식후경~

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2008, 12:20:03 AM »
Personally i am under the impression that Hoid is a title carried by a group of people and not one specific person because in my questioning of brandon at the signing i went to, i asked about Hoid and we discussed all the different books he's in. And then i said, "Yeah, but then he dies at the beginning of Liar of Partinel." To which Brandon replied, "Well, at least someone they called Hoid died..."  I took that to mean that more than one person are called Hoid.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2008, 01:30:31 AM »
Hmm. Perhaps its a secret society...Hoid could be an acronym.

Is/are  he/they ever described in the books?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2008, 01:42:32 AM »
I think he's described a bit in Warbreaker.....And I think Kell describes him in Mistborn. I don't know about Elantris, though. Still have to finish that one...
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2008, 06:20:59 PM »
Incidentally, for MB2, chapter 50 annotation, Brandon as good as admits that the Warbreaker world and Scandriel are in the same universe.

I'm not sure I agree with you, I think he's just saying it was the inspiration for the religion in Warbreaker.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

haroldthesage

• Level 2
  • Yes I'm aware my avatar fails to match my username
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2008, 05:43:31 AM »
Personally i am under the impression that Hoid is a title carried by a group of people and not one specific person because in my questioning of brandon at the signing i went to, i asked about Hoid and we discussed all the different books he's in. And then i said, "Yeah, but then he dies at the beginning of Liar of Partinel." To which Brandon replied, "Well, at least someone they called Hoid died..."  I took that to mean that more than one person are called Hoid.

That's what I thought but I couldn't figure out how to work that in with Adonalsium, so my current theory is that Hoid is all that's left of Adonalsium, that his powers some how became fractured and left him and all he has left is the ability to jump to worlds that have a shard on them.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 06:04:31 AM by haroldthesage »
Fear my obscure references.

It makes me laugh to think of Mistborn testing metals and coming to Cesium

Clomer

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2008, 07:58:20 PM »
So what will happen to this discussion if Hoid (or someone by that name) appears in AMoL?

haroldthesage

• Level 2
  • Yes I'm aware my avatar fails to match my username
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2008, 08:27:02 PM »
So what will happen to this discussion if Hoid (or someone by that name) appears in AMoL?

It will implode in a vibrant display of all our logic failing
Fear my obscure references.

It makes me laugh to think of Mistborn testing metals and coming to Cesium

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2008, 09:03:37 PM »
I think that if Brandon does put any easter eggs in AMoL, they will be Wheel of Time easter eggs, not Brandon Sanderson easter eggs. He isn't writing it to write a Brandon Sanderson book but a Wheel of Time book.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2008, 04:36:13 AM »
So, during my reread of The Hero of Ages, I came across some interesting tidbits.

I am going to do my best to present this as a reasoned and rational theory, though I know that anyone who makes it to my thesis statement will burst out laughing.

Now, on page 189, we see Vin having an interesting conversation with a man named Slowswift, who I now suspect to be Hoid. Vin was supposed to meet a man named Hoid later on, but backed out of it for reasons unexplained. She never saw him.

Slowswift asks,
Do you enjoy stories, young lady?

From there the conversation goes as follows:
What kind of stories?
"The bst kind, of course," slowswift said, tapping his book. "The kind about monsters and myths. Longtales, some call them-..."
We are talking about a specific genre of book here-fantasy.
"I don't have much time for stories," Vin said.
         "Seems that fewer and fewer people do, these days." A canopy kept off the ash, but he seemed unconcerned about the mists. "It makes me wonder what is so alluring about the real world that gives them all such a fetish for it..."
Then the conversation turns to Cett, and his poetry.
To him, everything had to be gritty and 'real,' even his poetry. Seems like an attitude with which you'd agree."
          Vin shrugged, sitting in the indicated chair. "I suppose."
          "I find that ironic in a way you shall never understand," the old man said, smiling.

Now, why is this ironic? To me, the answer is obvious: Vin prefers real life, but she is living in a fantasy. We'll leave this train of thought for now.

So, theoretically all of Brandon's books, minus Alcatraz, exist in the same world. What are recurring themes of these worlds? Shards of Adonalsium, for one. Magic. Hoid has been appearing all over the place.
       The answer I am looking for is far more simple: the recurring theme is that Brandon wrote them.

Now, who is Hoid? A mysterious traveler recurring throughout all of these books. What is he? An informant. A storyteller.
         A wordsmith?

That's right. I think Brandon wrote himself into his books as a character.
       As a man named Hoid.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

hoid354

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2008, 05:02:25 AM »
  "Castle in the Air" was almost as good, but I doubt we'll see an anime version of that because the title is way too close to that of another Miyazaki film, which is inspired by (but not based on) Gulliver's Travels.

Hey, i have the dvd of "Castle in the Air", but i lost the disc. :'(

Anyway... i also think that Hoid is a title. Unless Brandon is a fan of that Homeward Bounder book and decided to add an obscure easter egg that almost nobody would understand.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2008, 07:01:50 AM »
Well. Brandon said in the spoiler thread that Slowswift is meant to represent Tolkien. So it's not entirely impossible that Hoid is meant to represent himself. But I don't personally think Hoid is Brandon. I think that we're just going to have to wait until we see more about him in the future before we can make any theories that scratch the surface of who Hoid is.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2008, 05:06:46 PM »
The main issue I have with Hoid being Brandon is that it seems to break the, I dunno, the dignity of the cosmology being developed.  It would be a serious fourth-wall breaking, rather than the subtle poking present in the discussion of Slowswift.
Nature hates being reified.

Stu

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2008, 07:13:39 PM »
POSSIBLE ELANTRIS AND MISTBORN SPOILERS

I agree that hoid is the same character.  Also, seeing how Brandon Sanderson mentioned that all of the worlds are somehow connected then hoid could just be travelling from world to world.  For instance both the Elantris world and the Mistborn world take place on one continent.  The two worlds could also be connected by the crack in the land in the Elantris world, because when Vin spun the world the movement of the spin and the new heat from the sun could have cracked the line.  The crack also could have occured when Sazed, or even the lord ruler ws rearranging the world; if it was Sazed who caused the crack then it would explain why there isn't mist or a constant ashfall.  Before the crack the people of elantris could have been holding off both.  The two books would be on the same planet, but different continents. 

Also, if Hoid has the ability to jump planets, as we presume, what if he also had the power to control people.  then he could have a diferent puppet on each world, all under the name hoid.  So instead of being on the planets all the time he would just have to jump to the planet once and take control of someone.

Or we could even use a Matrix theme and say that they are all in their subconciousness' living everyday lives with people around them when really they are all asleep, and Hoid is the only one not asleep, and he is controlling them, and also "apart" of the worlds making sure everything runs smoothly and no one suspects the truth.  he would therefore be an illusion in all of their "worlds".

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2008, 07:39:09 PM »
Except wouldn't Elantris mention 1,000 years of Ash and Mists?

Plus the fact that Brandon Sanderson said that the only two shards on Scadrial are Ruin and Preservation.
If Elantris and Mistborn were on the same world, where would the power of the Dor come from?

Zas
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”