Author Topic: Hoid??  (Read 99809 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Hoid??
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 12:39:37 AM »
hoid backwards is dioh. Some varieties of Spanish pronounce word-final /s/ as [h]. In Spanish, dios means God.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 06:18:13 AM »
LMAO

I think all the Hoids are aspects of one...either that or evidence that these are all parallel worlds and some elements remain the same in their evolution (certain people will exist and, without the meddling of Shards, have certain talents - Hoid is obviously very well-spoken and good at maintaining an act).

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 04:44:18 PM »
In Warbreaker, Siri asked Hoid where he learned his method of storytelling and he answers

“Thank you,” Siri said quietly. “It was good of you to speak of it. Tell me, where did
you lean such an. . .unusual method of storytelling?”

Hoid looked up, smiling. “I learned it many, many years ago from a man who didn’t
know who he was, your majesty. It was a distant place where two lands meet and gods have
died. But that is unimportant.”

I can't make head or tail of his description, having read only Elantris, Mistborn and Warbreaker.  Surely it is relevant, though?
Nature hates being reified.

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2008, 05:02:43 PM »
Sounds like Scadrial to me.   Gods have definitely died there.   As for two lands meeting, it could be a metaphor for the change the world took or any number of other metaphors for two lands meeting.   Or it could have something to do with the land after Sazed fixed it as we don't know what it looks like.   As for people who don't know who they are(male), it could be a metaphor for Sazed before he became God.   Or perhaps for Marsh after Sazed fixed the world.   Or some random person we don't know about(How good was Kelsier at telling stories?).   I haven't gotten to Elantris nor Warbreaker yet so I can't pull examples from them.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 05:10:10 PM »
I noticed that too, and I'm just like "who?"....I imagine Brandon will probably tie this in in a later series, but by then we'll have forgotten about this, and so we'll have to go BACK and read the books, find where it is, and be like "hey, so THAT'S what he meant....

And I don't think it's Scadrial. That would be too easy....Even if it WAS, I seriously doubt it would be Sazed. Hoid never met Sazed. And yes, I am saying that because the meeting never took place in the book. I think Brandon would've put that important meeting in the book--even if the reader wouldn't think it was important. The only male Hoid met was Kell, and it's not him.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 05:45:29 PM »
Ha ha ha ha ha... I don't think I read that version of Warbreaker. Oh yeah, that's a major clue.

Gods died in Mistborn. But the "where two lands meet" doesn't fit, and I'm sure it's not a metaphor. Brandon has written one book so far about a place where two lands meet: Dragonsteel. Recently Brandon decided that some of Dragonsteel's plot is being put into Way of Kings instead—but he decided this after the most recent draft of Warbreaker. What he was planning at the time he wrote Hoid's comment to Siri may not even end up being what eventually happens in a book—but Brandon is sure to have something spectacular up his sleeve.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 09:00:48 PM »
Ya know, that's funny....Because when I said he would probably tie this in in a later series, I was thinking Way of Kings.....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2008, 04:52:33 AM »
Scandriel seems unlikely.  I considered it and rejected it.  The "two lands" bit doesn't work and the unusual method of storytelling makes no appearance in Mistborn.  Only the gods dieing fits, and that's not enough, I think.
Nature hates being reified.

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2008, 03:31:50 AM »
I found Hoid in Liar, and he was a master storyteller but with magic powers.
Coincidence? I think not.

“Thank you,” Siri said quietly. “It was good of you to speak of it. Tell me, where did
you lean such an. . .unusual method of storytelling?”

Hoid looked up, smiling. “I learned it many, many years ago from a man who didn’t
know who he was, your majesty. It was a distant place where two lands meet and gods have
died. But that is unimportant.”

Gods died in Mistborn. But the "where two lands meet" doesn't fit, and I'm sure it's not a metaphor. Brandon has written one book so far about a place where two lands meet: Dragonsteel.

And Gods died in Dragonsteel too.
When Midius, Hoid's apprentice, is telling a story to the public and talking about the path he mentions that the gods die.
Also, the storytellers in Dragonsteel use dirt and sand
and Hoid in Warbeaker used colored sand.

In Warbreaker, Hoid constantly repeats that he only tells stories. Why is it necessary?

And it's clearly evident that Hoid is special in Liar:
"Something is going on, Midius thought.  But Hoid couldn’t have known of it.  He’d been gone from Partinel for decades when I met him.  We had no contact with the city during my training, save for the assassin.
And yet. . .he said that the city needed me.  That it was urgent.

And it had to do with the summons.  The reason that the Bear of Partinel had sent for, then killed, Hoid the jesk.  Why?"

"The boy’s claims about Teraxos were, obviously, lies.  Theus’s son was more than skilled enough to deal with an old man and his storytelling apprentice. 
And yet, Hoid had proven surprising on more than one occasion"

"Theus felt a chill.  He knows.  The identity of the assassin.  Of course Hoid would know."
--
Ha ha ha ha ha... I don't think I read that version of Warbreaker. Oh yeah, that's a major clue.
I believe it's the most recent version available. Or the most recent I have on my computer, and I'm pretty good about downloading the most recent ones.

I'll have to wait to scan through mistborn but can anyone tell me around where in Elantris Hoid appears? I know he's a beggar but I'm looking for a specific chapter because I've read Elantris only about twice while Mistborn, numerous. I want to overanalyze the little information available to us?
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2008, 04:19:08 AM »
Your first quote insinuates that not all stories of the worlds are happening at the same time, as I somewhat suspected. And...a man who didn't know who he was? Did he perhaps learn it from an incarnated Shard?

and also, tecnically gods have died in Warbreaker too, if you count the returned as gods. But I'm guessing he meant real gods.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2008, 06:51:21 AM »
I was assuming that The Liar of Partinel took place later in Hoid's life than Warbreaker. Mostly because the storytelling apparently hadn't been developed (by him?) into a magic system yet in Warbreaker.

Hoid is mentioned on page 445 of the Elantris hardback. (I found it using Amazon's search inside feature.)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2008, 03:18:41 PM »
Haven't read Liar  :'(
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2008, 10:47:16 PM »
Hoid is mentioned on page 445 of the Elantris hardback. (I found it using Amazon's search inside feature.)
Thank you.
I'm gonna overanalyze it and then report back with the nonsense theories I'll come up with.

I was assuming that The Liar of Partinel took place later in Hoid's life than Warbreaker. Mostly because the storytelling apparently hadn't been developed (by him?) into a magic system yet in Warbreaker.
Which could quite possibly mean that he learned the story telling somewhere else and incorporated it into a magic system used in Liar? Hmmm... I'll have to think on this. Damn I wish I had more than the first 6 chapters.
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2008, 01:03:17 AM »
I think it's great that all of Brandon's books are connected. The Hoid and the shards of adonalsium (sp?) phenomenon has got everyone talking about it. Definitely a true testament to Brandon's writing skills. Stephen King did practically the same thing with his Dark Tower series. Connecting pretty much all his books, with some recurring characters.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2008, 07:06:24 AM »
Haven't read Liar  :'(
Don't worry. Brandon isn't happy with how it turned out—he tried discovery-writing it (like Stephen King) and it just didn't work. To fix the book, he'll have to drastically rewrite it from right after the first couple chapters, and he's too busy and unenthusiastic about it to do that very soon.

That's one thing about Brandon's writing philosophy. He's not afraid to trash something that just doesn't work or that can be done better somewhere else. Without that philosophy, we wouldn't have Mistborn.