Author Topic: Hoid??  (Read 99777 times)

JakobLayn

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hoid??
« Reply #195 on: July 18, 2009, 07:29:14 AM »
I Dont think that was it :D
The fear to explore the unknowns in life is to deny yourself all the joys and happiness as well

Nehex

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 22, 2009, 01:18:27 AM »
Is Hoid the wolfhound merchant?  He may not fit the hair requirements, but he is there at the hero's request to offer help in the form of a wolf hound for TenSoon aka OreSeur

flyleaffan

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 22, 2009, 03:56:28 AM »
ok, so we know that Hoid is named explicitly in Elantris, HoA, and Warbreaker, and that he could have also appeared elsewhere under a different pseudonym or under no name at all. I have two thoughts unrelated to the current discussion (I think) and I was too lazy (and I didn't want spoilers to Elantris as I havent' finished it yet (I'm into part II)) to read the entirety of the posts.

1. Could Hoid be an anthropomorphic form of God (or an all-knowing, all-powerful being) who has created (or governed over) each of these universes? This would explain the grasp of the knowledge he has of the origin of the Hallandren God Kings in Warbreaker.

2. Or Hoid could be a hero/protagonist in a future Sanderson novel? perhaps his planned multi volume series  (I believe it is Way of Kings) http://bit.ly/SWWUs He would have the ability to travel between worlds/dimensions, so he's some kind of master of time and space.

Just a couple thoughts I had in mind.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #198 on: July 22, 2009, 04:24:11 AM »
See page three of this thread. :-*
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #199 on: July 22, 2009, 04:24:38 AM »
ok, so we know that Hoid is named explicitly in Elantris, HoA, and Warbreaker

Don't forget Final Empire. He was the informant Kell talked to.

And Hoid will most likely make an appearance somewhere in the Stormlight Archive (first book is The Way of Kings), but if he's ever going to be a protagonist, I seriously doubt it will be in that series. Maybe Dragonsteel (which I haven't read yet)....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #200 on: July 22, 2009, 04:27:45 AM »
It appears (in page three) that Hoid has played a larger role in Liar of Partinel and Dragonsteel. I think I remember reading somewhere that Hoid's story will be the last series set in the universe of the Shards. Definitely not Kings, which is just a world with more Shards than those we've visited so far. We may be getting closer to the center of things as Brandon tells these tales....
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:29:55 AM by sortitus »
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 22, 2009, 04:29:45 AM »
Yeah. I hadn't heard that it would be the last set in the shardworlds, but that makes sense. As far as I know, Hoid's story is in Dragonsteel, but that may have changed since supposedly Brandon took bits of Dragonsteel and put them into Way of Kings. That being said, I think it more likely that Hoid will just make appearances in WoK and will be a main-ish character in Dragonsteel.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #202 on: July 22, 2009, 04:32:34 AM »
I remember reading somewhere that Hoid's story will be the last set in the universe of the Shards.

Oh, that's interesting....And funny (Funny because RainbowRose and I are going to write a huge fanfic involving a bunch of Brandon's characters and Hoid only gets one pov--the last chapter...).
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #203 on: July 23, 2009, 05:32:53 AM »
Yeah. I hadn't heard that it would be the last set in the shardworlds, but that makes sense. As far as I know, Hoid's story is in Dragonsteel, but that may have changed since supposedly Brandon took bits of Dragonsteel and put them into Way of Kings. That being said, I think it more likely that Hoid will just make appearances in WoK and will be a main-ish character in Dragonsteel.

I somehow suspect that he hasn't cannabalised Hoid into WoK. That is, beyond his usual cameo deal.

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2009, 08:24:01 PM »
I believe Hoid was more of a side character in Dragonsteel, but the person (not God @ all) is the protagonist in Liar. (I don't want to give too much away via spoilers and to further back up my opinion of who "Hoid" that pops up everywhere is I would have to do so, so I'll stop there :-) If you're not afraid of spoilers, PM would be a great way to carry this a little further....

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2009, 08:26:42 PM »
If you're referring to Midius, that's already been said on this thread...so not a spoiler anymore really...

Elwynn

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2009, 11:41:57 PM »
Though I am new, I have followed this forum since before HoA, delighted with the theories and speculation on the metallic arts. I have since become enthralled with Hoid and Adonalsium so I'll jump right in...

I am currently doing a thorough read through of WoA, searching for the elusive Hoid reference. I'm nearing the end, but have had a change in idea before even finishing. Up to this point I have been marking anyone alluded to with an "odd" quality or behavior. I have disregarded any other qualities (including gender or age) due to the statement that he is "heavily in disguise". Nevertheless this may not refer to his appearance, so I added anyone who was bald or short (Final Empire description). A few of these have been mentioned and rightfully dismissed.

On pg.42 Teur is referenced as having, "...natural desire for notoriety would make him want to gossip about his experience." And a couple paragraphs later, "Teur apparently had a reputation for tall tales." If it wasn't for him being named I would lean toward a Hoid reference.
pg.44 young man with club leg surviving as a skaa plantation worker
pg.46 the man with the guards (never referred to directly as a nobleman, but Vin was referring to them at the time)
pg.47 the bald man following Vin (though he has hair on the sides of his head)
pg.49 wolfhound merchant
pg.72 bob of light; unfortunate late night traveler (dismissed, added because Vin doesn't dwell on it)
pg.78 dark form in the shadows (dismissed, likely tensoon/Zane)
pg.87 obligators in back showing no reaction to the comments on them (Vin worried about the strangeness)
~pg226 dressmaker/assistant, who knows of fashion outside Luthadel, knows Vin (dismissed)
pg.229 bald man with cap (dismissed)

I went a few hundred pages further, but I stopped because this didn't seem to be getting me anywhere.
Mr. Sanderson said that most of Hoid's influence had to be cut from the book, leaving only a small hint. And that we should be wondering what he's been up to in these books, so I thought to start reasoning differently.

Hoid might not be referenced to as a person at all. It may just be his influence that sparks something odd noticeable in another person. I think that Cett is the key. He led Vin to the "man humming to himself" out in Fadrex city. Which means that he had to have contact with Hoid before he left for the Luthadel seige in WoA.

On pg. 394 Cett is seen by Elend as having intentionally put himself in a, "no going back" situation because he's desperate. Maybe he came to Luthadel only because of the influence of someone (Hoid) back in Fadrex. (Though this doesn't make much sense because the influence would have had to happen before WoA, and he tells Vin later that he figured Straff would come for him eventually and he had no allomancers)

Ham is of course noted many times for his strange behavior, not as argumentative or philosophical as he was before

On pg.306 Demoux is seen as walking stooped and nervous, later (336-341) when he meets with the church members and Vin asks him where he first heard about her bringing back the sun and stopping the ash falling he doesn't know, Vin chalks it up to rumors and doesn't mention it again, could Hoid have started these rumors

At the end when Elend is stabbed and dying, Vin finds it eerie that as he grew closer to death, he actually seemed more in control...and then he tries to say something.

I think, from the way the deleted scenes footprint (assuming it wasn't marsh, like the final version footprint at kredik shaw earlier in the book) is mentioned by Mr. Sanderson, it is most likely from Hoid. Since in the deleted version the footprint was next to the fired clay with a metal sphere at the center (which seems an awful lot like a planet to me) maybe it was Hoid that put the unused one there and TLR never saved one at all.
Overall I think Hoid was trying to help, and not necessarily Vin or the group, although that is very possible. He might have just been trying to help the planet, or Leras and Ati. Seeing as he is himself bonded with a shard, he might see his responsibility/power (planet hopping) is to help/unite other shards.

Boy, that's a jumbled mess isn't it. Just throwing things out there b/c I'm thoroughly obsessed with Hoid and Adonalsium and haven't read any new assumptions in a while.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #207 on: July 24, 2009, 06:37:48 AM »
Oh, that's a good point. I still think that Hoid is the one who broke the pottery that allowed Vin to find the Larasium....But I couldn't figure out why he would do that. But that's right--he IS bound to a Shard. Maybe he can see bits of the future, so he knows that in order for Scadrial to continue to exist, Vin has to take Ruin down with her sacrificial/suicide deal, and she did that because Elend had just died, and therefore Elend would have to live to that point....So Hoid made it possible for Elend to survive (Plus, Elend is one who found out about the Atium mistings, and there's a good chance he might not have figured out what the mistfallen were if he himself wasn't an allomancer and thinking that way). All for the long run....

However, I also think, from Brandon's comment, that Hoid actually does make some sort of an appearance. Out of your short list you've got, I'm inclined to think it's either the wolfhound merchant, or perhaps the unfortunate traveler....'Unfortunate' could be the odd quality, maybe. And Vin does dismiss him...It's probably not him, but, it could be...possibly.

Elwynn

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 25, 2009, 12:16:14 AM »
After reading that Mistborn is a kind of sequel to Elantris I'm pretty convinced that Hoid's mission is to help the shards/world (or help the people help the shards/world) on different planets. Elantrians became broken, and once the chasm was fixed he went off to scadriel. This is the only link I can see making Mistborn a type of sequel...we know they are on seperate planets. Has anyone read a time frame for warbreaker relating to the others?
Now if we could only get a little more info on where he is in WoA.

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 03, 2009, 01:30:12 AM »
so having read what little wilson posted of brandon talking about Hoid in WoA I did another search and believe Hoid to be the old terrisman in the refugee camp that tells elend about the inquisitors attacking Terris. first off he's telling a story, Hoid's trademark. this would also fit for him being in diguise. believing the Well to be in Terris, Hoid diguises himself as a terrisman attempting to infiltrate the society and search for clues to its whereabouts. since brandon said hoid learned that the well was in luthadel after vin made the connection and only because of overhearing something a known character says, this is the only possible scene for hoid to be in because it is the only scene where Elend mentions the Well after Vin leaves and before he reaches Luthadel. the only other character with a speaking part in the scene besides Elend and Spook is the old man.  ;D ;D ;D
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.