Author Topic: Hoid??  (Read 99788 times)

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Re: Hoid??
« Reply #180 on: July 13, 2009, 11:38:38 PM »
Thank you, Zas. I got extremely excited when Ook told me I was right. Much more excited than is probably good, considering Hoid is fictional character, but oh well....And I think that's a good guess about Terris. I was wondering what exactly Hoid could be doing that would put him out of the views of everyone else, and Terris totally fits.

Now we just need to find him in the actual copy...This should be fun (or it would be if I had my copy with me...which I don't...argh).
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #181 on: July 14, 2009, 01:35:33 AM »
I really like the idea of Hoid being in Terris. It seems like a very good possibility--I'll start there in my search.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 14, 2009, 09:59:41 PM »
pg. 546 WoA.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 14, 2009, 10:05:10 PM »
I'm assuming you're talking about the hardcover, as that is where the Terrisman is talking to Elend. And i don't know that the Terrisman is Hoid. It doesn't seem to fit him that well.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #184 on: July 14, 2009, 10:07:51 PM »
I agree. Brandon said that a viewpoint character notices something odd about someone, but quickly dismisses it. I don't see either of those with that Terrisman.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 14, 2009, 10:27:52 PM »
I think it's the wolfhound merchant. At the top of page 49 of WoA (hardcover), vin goes to see the wolfhound merchant. She notices that he only has hair on the right half of his head. It is never mentioned again. She buys a wolfhound from him. This position is also in the middle class area of society, where Hoid has been previously in the other books. It fits his character quite well.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #186 on: July 14, 2009, 10:42:24 PM »
I disagree on the point that Brandon said Hoid was away from the main characters during the majority of the book. If he's the wolfhound merchant, then this man would be in Luthadel during the novel, which isn't exactly "away" from the main characters...

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 14, 2009, 10:45:16 PM »
But he really isn't with them either. And you can't deny that only having hair on half of your head is odd. And Vin does quickly dismiss it. If someone finds an acceptable alternative that isn't in Luthadel the whole book, I'll accept it. As is, I'm voting with the wolfhound merchant.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #188 on: July 14, 2009, 10:53:34 PM »
Fair enough.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #189 on: July 15, 2009, 05:31:22 AM »
So I was looking through the MB3 Spoiler Thread, because I apparently have no time on my hands. Here's something interesting:

Quote from: Brandon
This is slightly a tangent, but here is a relevant chunk from the Warbreaker Annotations.  As this won't be posted for months, I'll put it here as a sneak preview.

Chapter Thirty-Two
"This whole scene came about because I wanted an interesting way to delve into the history.  Siri needed to hear it, and I felt that many readers would want to know it.  However, that threatened to put me into the realm of the dreaded info dump.

And so I brought in the big guns.  This cameo is so obvious (or, at least, someday it will be) that I almost didn’t use the name Hoid for the character, as I felt it would be too obvious.  The first draft had him using one of his other favorite pseudonyms.  However, in the end, I decided that too many people would be confused (or, at least, even more confused) if I didn’t use the same name.  So here it is.  And if you have no idea what I’m talking about. . .well, let’s just say that there’s a lot more to this random appearance than you might think."

I wanted to see what that "favorite pseudonym" was, so I downloaded the Warbreaker version 1.0 and discovered it was "Dust". Keep an eye out for that.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 15, 2009, 05:34:36 AM »
And he doesn't have to stay the wolfhound merchant. He could've been a merchant till he somehow hacked (literally) into the WoA and broke the pottery with the Lerasium, then gone off to Terris. But From how heavily Brandon says Hoid was in disguise, I think he might be mentioned only in passing. (though not by any name)
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 15, 2009, 04:40:25 PM »
Well that was part of what made me suspect the wolfhound merchant. He's there for about a page, he fits the character of Hoid, his mannerisms are somewhat similar, etc. And, as Zas says, he doesn't have to stay in Luthadel. Maybe he's there long enough to sell Vin a wolfhound and then leaves.

Oh, Chaos, the whole thing with Dust is very interesting. I actually think I first read that draft, and just didn't remember it. As you say, we'll have to look for it, but I doubt it appears in WoA. My guess would be that the WoA appearance is just a brief scene with no name.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 04:45:56 PM by Andrew the Great »

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #192 on: July 15, 2009, 07:12:48 PM »
Oh, I'm certain of that. But in later books, if we see a guy named Dust :P

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 15, 2009, 08:08:17 PM »
Indeed. I wonder if he appears under that pseudonym in any of Brandon's unpublished stuff?

JakobLayn

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 18, 2009, 07:23:17 AM »
Hello Just logged in for the first time YAY!!!! ;D and just had a thought reading all the comments could Hoid be the dressmaker that Vin sees??? Idk i was just skimming ill have to go more in depth See  Ya question how do you put the liitle quotes on the bottom of your comments

The fear to explore the unknowns in life is to deny yourself all the joys and happiness as well
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 07:28:39 AM by JakobLayn »
The fear to explore the unknowns in life is to deny yourself all the joys and happiness as well