Author Topic: Hoid??  (Read 102519 times)

Pygmalion

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hoid??
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2009, 01:01:08 AM »
The Hoid scene in Warbreaker is much longer than I thought it would be. I'd been so tempted just to read that part of Warbreaker online just to try to connect some more dots with Hoid, but I'm glad I refrained. Would have ruined some of the story for me.

Also, Zas678, I love your signature quote. I just noticed it, and it really made me laugh.
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 12, 2009, 04:30:38 AM »
Thanks! I actually just changed it today

edit-
I noticed something else. The heroes always send for Hoid. They don't run into him. They look for him. Sarene (tecincally Ashe) was looking for someone to bring supplies to Elantris. Kelsier and later Vin wanted information. Siri/Lightsong wanted a storyteller.

All we need to do is find someone who a PoV character looks for.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 02:57:27 AM by Zas678 »
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #152 on: June 15, 2009, 12:22:39 AM »
And I think it's safe to say that the PoV character we're looking for will not be Vin. So that leaves who? Elend, Zane, Sazed, Dox, Breeze, and who else? I'm sure I'm missing someone. It's been a while since I last read WoA.....

Out of those ones there, I can see it being Elend, Dox, or Sazed. Breeze's is just during the battle (I think) and he doesn't come across anyone that I recall. And Zane's too crazy to send for someone like Hoid.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 15, 2009, 01:43:21 AM »
Forgive me if someone has already brought this up, but i think the most important part of Hoid's cameo in warbreaker was at the end of the scene when he tells Siri that he learned his method of storytelling where two lands meet and gods have died, or something like that. an actual piece of Hoid's backstory?

I am now beginning my "Hoid Search" reading of WoA, but i'll just throw out one possibility and see what u guys do with it. Kwaan?

I don't know. i'm still holding out judgement on whether or not Hoid is a singe person or something else. i can't get over the fact that he DIED in the first few chapters of Liar of Partinel that Brandon posted on here. either that is the end of the Hoid story within the chronology of Brandon's universe and the rest will be filled in later (i wouldn't like this option seeing as it would mean the great world hopping storyteller was killed by a simple poison), or reincarnation has something to do with the way he gets from world to world, or... there is more than one Hoid.

i just thought of something. if i remember right, liar of partinel takes place several hundred years before dragonsteel. does anyone who has read dragonsteel know if Hoid makes an appearance? has he returned from the dead??? did another Hoid get sent as a replacement???
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2009, 02:33:25 AM »
Oh, I like the idea of another Hoid getting sent as a replacement. That would kind of make sense, since I believe earlier Tage said the Hoid in Liar was different than all the other Hoid's (the others being the same person).

I haven't read Dragonsteel, but I think I heard he's in that too. And I think Ookla (at least I think it was Ookla) said something about the two lands meeting and gods have died sounded like Dragonsteel, but I don't know, since I haven't read it.

As for Kwaan. I kind of doubt it. Kwaan lived 1000 years before (since he wasn't one of the 1st Generation of Kandra). And I would think he'll be someone who makes an actual appearance in the book....I really need to start my own Hoid search. The more people we get on this, the more possibility of us finding out who it is...
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 15, 2009, 02:42:09 AM »
alright, so i just went back and actually took the time to read this thread... i apologize for my being uninformed

ok so liar of partinel is at the beginning of the chronology, at least so far. i am pretty much convinced now that the place he was mentioning to Siri is the Dragonsteel world. the death of the Gods is supposedly gave rise to the skull moss (i think thats the name) though i'm not sure about the 2 lands meeting. it could possibly mean the place where he does his actual planet-hopping? the two lands being two separate planets? idk.

Tage's comments r very interesting/confusing. apparently both sides of the argument for Single vs. plural people were right at the same time... somehow... my new question is are any of the Hoids we've been seeing "the Hoid"?  or does who is "the Hoid" change?
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2009, 03:52:57 AM »
The two lands meeting refers to the human realm and the Sho Del realm in Dragonsteel.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

zas678

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2009, 03:18:02 PM »
I think that Hoid is someone who-to quote Ookla- we  "see once and then never see again." I definitely don't think he's a PoV character, plus it has to be someone that Kelsier doesn't now, since he met with Hoid once.
“It’s a fun tradition.”

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 15, 2009, 05:17:58 PM »
The two lands meeting refers to the human realm and the Sho Del realm in Dragonsteel.

Very interesting. I just read the Hoid section in Warbreaker last night. It wasn't obvious to me that "a place where two lands meet" was from Dragonsteel. Now that you explain it, it makes sense. Although now I'm a little confused.

if i remember right, liar of partinel takes place several hundred years before dragonsteel. does anyone who has read dragonsteel know if Hoid makes an appearance?

I didn't know Liar of Partinel was in the same world as Dragonsteel. I think B. Sanderson mentioned he's using about half of the stuff from Dragonsteel in Way of Kings, and the other half in Liar. It will be interesting to see what ends up in Liar, and if we learn more about Hoid. Someone mentioned Hoid being killed in the first few chapters of Liar. That would be ... dissapointing. If he does die, then there has to be more to it than that (not really dead, able to come back from the dead, something else).

The only Hoid cameo I remember in Mistborn was when Vin was going to meet him, but then changed her mind because her instincts were telling her it was a bad idea. Were there any other Hoid appearences in Mistborn? It was nice to get a nice long scene with him in Warbreaker.

Now we only need to figure out how this guy appears in so many different worlds.  :)

zas678

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 15, 2009, 05:58:58 PM »
Yeah, Hoid is the informant that Kelsier talks to. The one with the 'bad eyesight' who smokes tobacco. I think it's pg 268 in Final Empire.
“It’s a fun tradition.”

elheredero

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 15, 2009, 06:51:33 PM »
On the topic of Hoid in WoA....
So I asked Brandon Sanderson at the release party if Hoid was the man I mentioned earier, or if it  was the old man who claims Sazed to be the Holy First Witness, or the guy who found the correct properties for duraluminum, and Brandon said no.

But he did say that he was in there.

Now I'll have to reread WoA after reading Warbreaker.....

Yeah, the guy who discovered duralumin was named Terion, so, obviously, I was way off. Be that as it may, Brandon Sanderson did say that it was a good guess. Terion does fit your proposed criteria for being Hoid, in that the main characters seek him out and he helps them learn something valuable about the magic system or nature of their world or with some other seemingly insurmountable problem. It shouldn't be too hard to find someone else who fulfills these requirements in WoA.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #161 on: June 15, 2009, 07:39:46 PM »
What I find fascinating is that we're so intent on finding who it is. It would've been so easy in the writing process to name the character, but because Brandon didn't, yet said Hoid is in there, we've listed Hoid's characteristics and are searching for him....It's really quite fascinating.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 15, 2009, 07:55:33 PM »
Liar of Partinel happens a few thousand years before the events in the original Dragonsteel book. None of the Dragonsteel characters have moved to Way of Kings.

Brandon's plan a couple years ago was for Partinel to have a sequel, then skip a few thousand years and start the main Dragonsteel sequence (starting with Jerick's story) which would be five books or so. He may get back to this again eventually, or may not.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2009, 07:56:26 AM »
Wow, you guys are *still* going on this? I really need to talk to Brandon and see if any of the Hoid stuff he explained a couple years ago has changed. And then find out how much of it he actually wants to keep secret...
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2009, 08:05:53 AM »
Of course we're still going on about it. It's HOID! Need I say more?

...And that's kind of cruel. Because if you come back, and post something that you learn (that he approves, of course), then we will know that you know more....

...Of course, why is that any different than the current situation with Ookla? Everyone knows he knows more than he can share....

Never mind. Ignore me. I'm just a college student whose crazy sleeping schedule is starting to do stuff to her brain. I don't know what I'm talking about... ::)