Author Topic: Prince Raoden?  (Read 2292 times)

Nathan R

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Prince Raoden?
« on: September 01, 2007, 01:22:31 AM »

So I picked up Elantris last week and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. My question is, how do you pronounce "Raoden?" I've said it with a silent O and a silent A and was just wondering what the proper enunciation was.

Thanks!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Prince Raoden?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 02:44:02 AM »
The first two vowels are pronounced like the names of the letters.

r-A-O-den

Brandon has a (spoiler-free) pronunciation guide up on his website. Stay away from most of the other sections of the website until you finish the book, though. :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
I've always kind of believed that readers should be encouraged to pronounce names however they feel like doing it.  The truth is, none of us are from Arelon, and so we likely can't pronounce the names right anyway.  (Just like it's hard for me to get a Korean person's name just right, even though I've studied the language for years.) 

However, Elantris has some pretty funky names, so I decided to go ahead with the pronunciation guide anyway.  Also, check out the annotations.  They're nifty. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

candylion

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 05:51:16 AM »
Yay for Korean Pronunciation!!

-grins stupid-like-
IS TAKING COMMISSIONS!...I <3 any art so click on and send me a message. I'll probably draw it.

Nathan R

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 04:02:22 AM »

Thanks for the responses. Wow, especially hearing from the author himself. I usually catch on to new writers when they're books are well established and they're too busy being famous or working on the next book to interact with fans on this level. Thanks a lot, Mr. Sanderson.

I apologize for the lateness but over the last week I was getting rid my old hand-me-down laptop from my older brother and getting my new one.