Author Topic: Mistborn 3 Cover (Slight Spoilers for Mistborn 2)  (Read 13204 times)

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
Re: Mistborn 3 Cover (Slight Spoilers for Mistborn 2)
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 01:34:49 AM »
I like it but I'm not a fan of the shirt + skirt convo. It's too.... early 1900's for me and makes me feel like she just finished tea with the girls from the DAR or something. It's not my favorite (I really liked the first one) but I like it better than the second one!
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

SilentxDreams

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 06:13:27 PM »
 Oooh!! I love this cover.

Definitely eye-catching; just like the first two.
Yet for some reason, I think the artwork on Book3 will be my favorite.!

bittersweet010102

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 04:49:23 AM »
The best cover so far I'd say. I like the colours :)

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 04:59:11 AM »
I don't like her face, but other than that I think it's awesome. That scene was incredibly awesome and gripping, and I'm glad it got selected.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

amyface

• Level 3
  • coolbeans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 09:00:39 PM »
Sad day... you don't like her face? I was just thinking it looks like me. I could play vin! I might need to learn to act first...

Either way I like it, but not nearly as much as the Elantris one. The cover was the reason I read that book and how I got to know about MB and Warbreaker
Dude, no no really, DUDE!

urbmd

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 01:08:46 AM »
I do like this cover better than the others, if only because Vin looks less like a goblinoid and more like a girl than on the prior covers.  But, the Mist-skirt thing has bugged me on all the covers. 

I would be interested to hear from EUOL or anyone else who knows the publishing business as to why cover artists are given so much artistic licence for these book covers?  I mean, they are painting for business purposes, not to create a work to hang on someone's wall.  It seems irksome that the artists can paint covers that go against the text of the novel, or when they seem to  make little or no effort to follow the writer's descriptions.  Some covers seem to have such crude or cartoonish style I don't understand why they were chosen for other than a children's book.  Impressionistic is different from just poorly rendered.   Don't the artists offer multiple paintings for the publishing company to choose from?

For example:  The cover art for the hardcover of Knife of Dreams in the Wheel of Time series.   Just poorly rendered, in my opinion, though I have seen worse...

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 02:17:52 AM »
The artist's job is to grab the attention of a buyer, not to perfectly portray the story. It annoys me sometimes, but I totally understand why they do it. And you're right, the art's not to hang on the wall, it's to sit on a bookself, and the artist paints what the publishers tell them to.

The artist can only offer the publisher multiple concept drawings. Painting multiple covers would cause an artist to go bankrupt. And even after the artist submits the concepts, the publishers have them change and alter them all the time. A lot of times what the publisher chooses isn't even what the artist would have chosen themselves.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 06:23:57 AM »
Yeah, I'm in agreement with everyone else.  I love this cover best.  I read an interview where EUOL said that it was his favorite cover yet, and I have to agree.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 06:07:47 PM »
I *heart* this cover, perhaps best because it is just as good as the other two covers have been, which is very, very impressive to me.
I really do like how this cover shows a bit more of a zoomed out view which puts the fight into perspective, which nicely balances out the other two covers too. I like how each of the covers showed slightly different niches of action-tension of whatever.

On the first, she was looking like an  assassin and rebel,
on the second, she was cruising across the forms of her enemies looking very lioness like, strained but still looking like she'd come within her own.

This cover she looks more like she's a little overwhelemed, rather "eeeeeee~!" and looking like she's still trying to think of the next move. (Plus; floating people = always cool. Much more of and impressive ability that zapping people with lighning, laser vsion, etc etc etc).

I think the covers go along very well with the trilogy thus far and have been mightily impressed by them every step of the way.

Not only do they use briliant colours (purple working really well in them) but they're such an astronomical improvement over most of the other books on my shelf, and are leagues ahead of most of the other fantasy books on my shelves,  for instance the David Eddings covers (on my editions at least) which tend to far to strongly resemble tarot cards with their swords and orbs and other cliches.

These covers have been very dynamic and spirited and are as respectively unique and good as the books themselves have so far been. ^_^

All in all, the reader and illustration fans inside of me are very well satisfied so far ~!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 06:14:39 PM by White »
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 07:44:57 AM »
Yes, as you've mentioned, this is my favorite of them so far.  I'm very curious to see the new paperback covers, however.  They're doing a new one for MB2, it appears, since they're going to do a promo event for all of my paperbacks this summer. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 02:09:20 AM »
I'll be honest...I've never been a big fan of the cover art for the Mistborn series.  I'm not sure why, but they've never quite appealed to me.  The cover for Hero of Ages is probably the best so far, but still far from my favorite.  Not a big fan fo having feet in my face with long toenails. (see top of art)
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

dtbmnec

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 04:23:57 AM »
/headslap I didn't recognize the Inquisitors. My mental image of them was not like that. Probably the only reason.

I'm glad Vin looks a lot better this time. I have to admit I was a bit put off by the "ugly" Vin on the other two covers.

Not a fan of the toes but I like the scene in and of itself. :)

I haven't seen the hardcover cover of Final Empire, so I never realized that it was different from the softcover version I have. I'll have to go find it.

CrystalKitten

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 06:08:40 PM »
I have to say that I personally disagree.  I like the overall cover, however, I liked how Vin was portrayed on the covers of the other books.  I liked the more "realistic" artwork, not that this one isn't realistic.  Maybe it's mostly the purple, it's a pretty colour, but it really seems to draw my attention in a way that I personally don't particularly like, unless that's the point of it.  I personally liked what everyone is calling "ugly" Vin.  I thought it was great to have a more realistic looking character, rather than the perfect complexion, pale faced rosy lipped feminine characters you often see elsewhere in the fantasy genre.

Like the over all concept, not a huge fan of how it was implemented :)

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 07:12:19 AM »
Sorry, quick question from ignorant peon: *Why* do they change book covers from hardcover to papaerback across different editions? I've seen it happen a lot of course, but it's confused me at times because sometimes I've seen a cover for a newer edition for a book and had a big "Eeeeeee! why did they change their perfectly good cover to that icky thing!" moment.  :(

Tend to experience it mainly because Australian and American books sometimes have different covers too (which is sometimes understandable because colours in particular have different meanings and connotations in other countries) but sometimes I do really have to scratch my head at them.   I seem to recall the German/Italian/French books of Harry Potter had some very strange covers. The German ones scared me. :'( and one of them featured a happy mouse on the cover. O_o
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 07:41:17 AM »
Marketing 101: Target Audience and Regional Awareness.

Cover are is designed to attract the target audience of the book, certain people like/expect certain types of covers.  The book industry spends lots of money in research knowing what readers of specific genres like cover-art wise.

Different people buy Hardbacks compared to paperback buyers.  This is an example of a different audience

North Americans (including Canada) have different expectations with cover art then the Brits or Australians even if they like the same genre, it's purely cultural even if the audience is the same.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.