Author Topic: Mistborn 3 Cover (Slight Spoilers for Mistborn 2)  (Read 13202 times)

White

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
Re: Mistborn 3 Cover (Slight Spoilers for Mistborn 2)
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 01:38:17 PM »
Huh, so it really is just that then. Oh well, guess it's more work for illustrators!

Kind of funny to what degree cultural stuff impinges itself, even when you'd think visual communication would be more universal than it really is. I mean, you can't even be sure a *colour* will have the same meaning in a different country.  :-\

In European countries whute can be purity, in China it's the colour of death and in India white generally represented water, as opposed to blue. (And the Japanese believed that green was a shade of blue asnd still refer occasionally to things like zuccini and green traffic lights as being blue).
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 05:57:06 PM »
It also has to do with scale some of the time.  There are times that they wonder if the cover-art will scale down to a small paperback size well.  Proportionally, the author name and the book name take up more space on a paperback than a hardback, so they try to take that into consideration.  In MB1's case I believe this was partly responsible - and it was poorly executed...and Tor knows it.

Personally, I liked #2's art the best.  It was darker and more gritty.  Fit the feel of the book very well. 

Im very interested in the new paperback covers.  If it is still the same artist as mentioned on another post, these could be very striking. 

Brandon:  When do you expect some preview art for MB1 PB?
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

rtm1981

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2008, 01:10:55 PM »
It's nice I guess, but I have to say I'm almost always disappointed with fantasy covers. I wish sombody with Royo's skill would step up...

Survivors Apostale

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2008, 01:00:58 AM »
So it sounds like everybodies dead set on this being Vin pulling up on a tower of kerdik shaw, with a bunch of inquisitors aroudn her. But how can we be sure? I see no spikes, and usually the cover doesn't miss much detail on the surroundings, even if they are vague in some places.

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2008, 05:24:02 PM »
So it sounds like everybodies dead set on this being Vin pulling up on a tower of kerdik shaw, with a bunch of inquisitors aroudn her. But how can we be sure? I see no spikes, and usually the cover doesn't miss much detail on the surroundings, even if they are vague in some places.

I don't know, I sort of thought maybe they might be EEEEEeeeEEeeeeeeEEeeeeevil mist creatures. (maybe).

Mostly I didn't bother driving my mind past the "ooooOOoooooo preeeetttty"  :D stage of thought. I'm visually superficial or whatever.  ;D
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2008, 06:36:33 PM »
I have to agree, Survivors Apostale, that I did not think that this represented that scene. There are too many inquistors and I can't see their spikes. Also, Vin's hair is way to long.

It is, however, in my opionion a great cover. My favorite one to date....

Oh and by the way Crystal Kitten, there really is such a thing as pretty girls in the real world.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

CrystalKitten

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2008, 06:53:53 PM »
I know that, I just said that I liked the more "realistic" face they put on her at first.  All I said was that I was tired of seeing the "perfect feminine beauty" as all the heroines in other fantasy culture.  Why do they ALL have to be perfect and pretty, and by today's standards, often as not, as well.  With small noses, pale skin,  dark hair, and rosey lips...   Just my preference...   I'm kinda sick of the stereotypes...  I don't really picture her as looking that way..