Author Topic: The Well of Ascension was out on the 14th here in Chicago...  (Read 2478 times)

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
The Well of Ascension was out on the 14th here in Chicago...
« on: August 21, 2007, 04:35:57 AM »
I called tonigt to make sure they'd have the book for me tomorrow because I wanted to read it right away. I called the Border's closest to me and they're four copies were already gone, and then I called another and they said they only had one left. So I was all, "How did they sell so quickly?" and they're all, "Well, according to our database they've been on shelves since the fourteenth. And I was all..... "What?"
next thing you know I'm pulling my dad out of bed telling him we need to get down to Border's before it closes so I can get my copy. I was happy that I was able to get it but at the same time I was like... wait... why did it come out on the wrong date?
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: The Well of Ascension was out on the 14th here in Chicago...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 04:43:59 AM »
Unless you're talking about something like Harry Potter, which has an embargo date, it's very rare for a book to be held in a bookstore until its official release date if it arrives a week or more early. Print schedules can run such that some bookstores might get their shipments before some others do. We just got our box of Hallowmere in the office today, but the release date isn't until this next weekend--but I wouldn't be surprised if some stores might have it on shelves already.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 08:34:54 AM »
Mmm, lucky! The stores in my town got them late, and others sold out(or so they told me), so now I'm still waiting on my order to arrive. sigh. But oh well, it's Mistborn 2, it's worth waiting for!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 10:37:51 PM »
Thanks for ordering it!  Doing so might just get them to order a few extra copies in too.  I don't know if it's a Barnes and Noble, but we're trying to get them to order more copies of my books in the future, so if people request them like that, it does us a lot of good.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 03:09:24 AM »
Yeah, my Barnes and Noble didn't have any copies of it, though they had quite a few copies of Final Empire.  I had to order it, which I found quite annoying.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 06:17:26 AM »
Yeah, they didn't order any extra copies in along with my book, which made it even more inconvenient, because the one book they got in was so beat up I had to order another.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 04:05:40 AM »
Well, that's a bum deal. I hate buying a book that's been battered. Hope the re-order didn't take too long... That'll teach 'em to buy just one copy, eh? ;)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 05:49:29 PM »
I finally got my copy of the book from Amazon.  I can't wait to read it.

In other news, at my local Barnes & Noble the paperback release of  Mistborn: The Final Empire has been given a very prominent display in the center of the store as you come through the front doors.  It looks like they might have 20+ copies on display too.  (I don't know how many are left since I've been in.)  That's In addition to the ones they have up in the fantasy section on the second floor.