Author Topic: still studying for CompTIA certs  (Read 2146 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
still studying for CompTIA certs
« on: March 16, 2005, 09:35:53 PM »
btw, if you ever shoot for your network+ cert, do not, repeat DO. NOT. use the book put out by Syngress/McGraw Hill/Osborne with the "Cert Trainer and Exaam Sim" software.

It kind of sucks eggs.

in the sense that the practice software tried to claim that firewire and USB were the same thing. because you know, having a different shape, using different transfer rates, being developed independently, and beign defined separately makes two things the same... why don't we just say that serial and parallel ports are the same thing? Or how about ISA and PCI buses? or maybe IDE and SCSI? retards.

There's some useful information, but there are better books. Here's a sample self test question:

Which of the following methods would not be helpful when you are trying to stop the assignment of duplicate IP addresses on you network?

A. Using two DHCP servers on the same network
B. Using a spreadsheet to track in-use IP addresses
C. Using PING to test for connectivity before you assign an IP address
D. Using a DHCP server

Don't worry if you don't understand it, the answer they provide will shed absolutely no light on it. btw, the emphasis was theirs, not mine.

correct answer: A. It is not advisable to use two DHCP servers on one network, unless the network is separated by routers. The second DHCP can provide backup for the first DHCP server, but the IP address scope should not contain the same IP addresses.
B is incorrect because duplicate IP addressses can be avoided using a spreadsheet that contains workstation and server names and the corresponding IP addresses. This spreadsheet should also contain all static IP addresses, such as routers and printers, and should specify which range of IP addresses is in the DHCP scope of addresses, and which addresses are curerntly not used. C is incorrect because using PING to test for IP addresses is not useful, since a PC can be turned off and will then not respond to the PING. D is incorrect because it is helpful to use one DHCP server when you are trying to stop the assignment of duplicate addresses on your network.

Let me translate that a little. A is right because you can do it if you configure it right, but it's not necessarily helpful for this SPECIFIC purpose. Ok, I get that. I get why B and D are incorrect, as they ARE helpful, and the question wants what ISN'T helpful. But C is wrong because we're looking for something that isn't helpful, and C isn't helpful.

HUH?! These idiots need an editor so bad it hurts my head. Plus PING can be useful, just not reliable as your only source of information. It will, at least, verify that there are no other hosts with that IP address connected RIGHT NOW.

ARGH.

Ok, techie rant done now.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: still studying for CompTIA certs
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 12:23:07 PM »
it's not right because we're looking for something that's not helpful, and it isn't helpful...

oh my word
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 04:07:06 PM »
Wow, poorly worded, but I got the jist

My personal method is to have 1 opperating DHCP server and a second server with DHCP configured, but not running.  (That way if DHCP1 crashes hard I can turn on DHCP2 service while I rebuild 1)
On both I make SPECIFIC Exclusion ranges of 1 adress for each static IP and the I name it to the device which holds the static.  I then create another exclusion range that holds the unused static IPs I already set asside, I just update this as I go.  
I also bottom or Topload all my statics in a range.  

But this way I can figure out ALL OPEN IPs in one glance at the DHCP table and track it all from 1 spot.  

It takes a little longer in the short term but it's one of those ounces of prevention
Alles!!!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 04:14:12 PM »
Oh, the books full of poor wording. This morning I read about how tracert -d takes longer because it has less overhead to workwith than a normal tracert.

I begin to wonder if Gareth Hancock, the purported "editor" was mostly just sitting around posting to message boards...

wait...