Author Topic: How Annoying Is This?  (Read 8437 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
How Annoying Is This?
« on: July 24, 2007, 06:46:27 PM »
Please post in this thread to see what I'm talking about.

[hide]So in the Harry Potter Spoiler thread we're seeing what happens when people use the hide feature to conceal spoilers--they hate it. The way this works is, you write <hide> at the beginning of your comment, and </hide> at the end, but with brackets instead of arrows, and then no one can see your comment until they've posted in the same thread. This is fantastically annoying, and many of you have complained, but it also has a lot of good things going for it as well: for example, if someone clicks on the "Most recent posts" link at the bottom they'll see the 10 most recent posts out of context--meaning that they'll see a spoiler without seeing the spoiler warning in the thread title first. Hiding certain comments until after you've posted in the thread is a nice courtesy to people who use this feature.

So, I'm asking you all: how much do you really hate this feature? It's unlikely we can do anything about it in the near future, other than just not use the <hide> tags, but I want your feedback anyway. Should it be abolished forever? Is it wonderful? Is it tolerable once you understand that it helps certain people? Let us know.[/hide]
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: How Annoying Is This?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 07:11:04 PM »
I'm going to assume you're using hide tags, and I'll go ahead and say now that it's extremely annoying.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
What are you doing? What're you hiding? Is it some secret that could blow the lid off the case? I'm gonna explode with paranoia!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 07:37:48 PM »
I think we need a better way. Like if you want to read the spoilers, you just have to highlight the text in the post and you'll see it. This way it's easy to see what's there and at the same time, they can't blame anyone if they see something they didn't want to. It's annoying to have to post just to see the stuff that's hidden.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 07:47:37 PM »
Are they perfect? No.  Are they better then nothing? Yes.

Feel free to complain all you want but for the time being they're staying, an admin vote put this to rest.

The reason we have what we have is all due to time, I don't have enough of it and this is the only pre-made spoiler tag like feature for this version of SMF.  Considering all the other stuff that needs to be done for this site this is really a low priority since all you have to do is spend 5 seconds to post something to be able to read--that's not really an inconvenience at all.

Nor is anyone required or forced to use the Hide tags but it's polite to do so because it hides the content from the Recent Post feature and the RSS feed and I think being a little courteous is worth 5 seconds of my life.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 07:49:56 PM »
I know over at 4chan they have it set up so that unless you have your mouse over it the spoiler text is covered in all black.
                William S. Burroughs

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 07:51:19 PM »
The fact you know how something works on 4chan lowers my respect for you.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 08:01:01 PM »
lol
Look, i understand you don't like the method, but honestly, if you want to install simple machines on a test computer, code a better spoiler hiding method, and then pass it to sprig so he can test it, be my guest. Personally, I don't have time to code it. Sprig has better things to do. the rest of you, feel free to hop in.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 08:02:47 PM »
hey, I browse /co/ most often because there is talk of comics there. However, I do wander and happen to fall into the /tg/ forum every-so-often.
                William S. Burroughs

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 08:24:59 PM »
This is a post. this is only a post.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 08:29:04 PM »
I'll tell you what, I haven't bothered to read the HP thread for exactly this reason, and I nearly didn't post on this thread because of the same reason. But that's perhaps my lack of time. Or call it laziness, whatever.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 09:36:16 PM »
Um, so what are you talking about?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 11:54:38 PM »
I see dead peop--I mean, hidden posts.

[hide]Seriously, though--it irritated me at first until Sprig explained why he was doing it. Now I'm a believer. You only have to post once in the thread, and it's not that hard to type an extra 13 characters to ensure other people don't have any unwanted spoilers delivered to them.[/hide]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 11:57:09 PM by Parker »

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 05:03:21 AM »
I think the hidden posts are annoying, but

[hide] I like that they encourage lazy people to post on threads. People serioulsy need to start doing more on TWG than just reading.

People who post have wonderful personalities that benefit us all. People who don't post are just anti-social leeches that are secretly stalking posters. Or something...[/hide]
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

DragonFly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 02:29:40 PM »
Is this an evil experiment to see how powerful curiosity and the need to feel included work as a motivator? If so, you got me hooked.
[hide]
People who post have wonderful personalities that benefit us all
If I have to show my wonderful personality and benefit everyone--now I'm even more intimidated to post[/hide]
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 02:35:11 PM by DragonFly »
Work is like fertilizer in that I'm very glad it exists--I just don't ever want to get stuck in it
(Lightsong in Warbreaker)