Author Topic: comic  (Read 7565 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: comic
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2005, 03:22:25 PM »
do an animated jenga tower where you have to pull at blocks to get the page to do something... and then have a report error block pull the whole thing down.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2005, 12:29:01 AM »
FYI, I have NOT been ignoring my comic.
Though I did rename it which means i'll need to change my subdomain

I have made two styles of layouts, with various button color schemes. i'm still picking through them, and will probably end up just deciding on the one I like most, since all specific advice on most things (like the name of hte comic, what fonts to use) i have ignored, even after asking for opinions.

Though i did get a bunch of stuff from blambot and the Spectre Verde font (which appears on some of the buttons).

So, feel free to check out my designs, you'll need to have JavaScript enable to view all the functionality (the mouseovers preload). I'm sure there's another way to do it, but this I ahd already a template for so I used it. ALso, I'm noticing that I ignored file size while building it, so the "card" layouts have some large images. Beware.

finally, I think it only survived in one layout, but there is an alternate logo there. I have already rejected it.

So, feel free tocomment. Specific criticisms like minor problems with appearances of some of the graphics are the most helpful, though i've probably already seen most of what needs correction. Feel free to try me. I miss a lot.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2005, 12:49:30 AM »
I would make the buttons a yellow that mathes the logo. I like the notecards buttons better, as buttons, but they don't really fit. I think you should go for a plastic feel. The arrow buttons nicely accomplish this, yet they are little too large.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2005, 03:11:16 AM »
Okay, I do have a comment--the logo and the buttons in the red look bad with aliasing like that. It would be better to just alias them against a red background in each image individually instead of trying to use transparency. (What you really want is properly aliased transparent RGBA pngs but Explorer won't display those right, so you're screwed...)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2005, 09:30:49 AM »
Yeah, the logo looks great when it's not on a background. when I put it in the page, I saw the ugly bits around it. That's the least professional looking part of the whole page, I think.

As for button color, matching yellows would be good. My problem is that I'm not good at manipulating color. Since I made those pictures out of a scan of a 3D object (trying to make the 3d-plastic object look tot he buttons that Skar suggested), it's hard for me to get the color right. I'm sure I could work with that if that's what i decide.

Obviously, too, I can swap existing colors around. And I have raw images of the scans (I actually have several colors of this ceramic tile available to work with, so using the pale yellow one might help me approximate the same yellow one better.

Because I like to explain my process, hoping there will be someone who can show me a better way, this is what I made out of that green tile above, but cutting/pasting sections of the edges to form what i needed. At first I wanted to preserve that top shadow, since i thought it lended 3d credence, but I couldn't find a way to blend it well, so I ended up using only non-shadowed edges to form the shape. It looks really cool that size, I think. However, there's no way to preserve that entirely with it shrunk down that I know of. I could scan it again at a smaller size, though. That might improve the integrity when shrunk down.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2005, 10:06:02 AM »
Hey SE, here's a action figure buying question for you. I can get the "ultimately" rare Ben Reilly figure for $40. My friend sold one to someone else for $60. So I'm getting a little discount. Think it's worth it?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2005, 10:24:32 AM »
I'd need to see a picture. Is it one of the ones made by Toy Biz? Is he in the Scarlet Spider costume?