Author Topic: Mistborn 2 Pre-Release  (Read 2954 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Mistborn 2 Pre-Release
« on: July 20, 2007, 02:14:02 PM »
Decided to start a new thread, since this is my forum, and I can do stuff like that.

We have a time for the pre-release!  It will be Saturday, August 18th at 6:00 p.m. 

I'd like to bring some prizes for give-always like we did last year to encourage people to come.  The thing is, I don't like giving away free books since...well, everyone there will have bought one in order to get into the drawing.  Seems a little redundant. 

So, what do you folks consider to be a good prize for something like this?  Last year, I gave away some of the working manuscripts (early drafts) of some of my books.  I might be able to dig up an old Alcatraz manuscript and give it away, and maybe something else like that.  That sort of thing good enough? 

If I were REALLY on the ball, I'd have some of the "Collected bonus materials for Elantris" books printed and ready to give away as prizes, but I don't think those will be ready until around December. 

Any other thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 05:41:03 PM by Spriggan »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn 2 Pre-Release
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 04:16:49 PM »
As for goodies, i thought the manuscripts went over really well at MB1.  The Elantris thing would be really cool - would this include the short story?  It would be cool if you could get a book of collected art of your novels too, but now Im just being ambitious...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 06:04:58 PM by Not Bookstore Guy Anymore »
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 05:39:26 PM »
I've heard washing machines are popular.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 05:41:17 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

amyface

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • coolbeans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 03:30:40 AM »
I don't know about prizes. I would think it would be cool to get autographed copies... but since you will be there I would expect you would already be signing copies of the book.

I just moved to Minnesota and won't be able to get there... although I don't know that I would have been able to get there from Colorado even if I hadn't moved... I was wondering if I could somehow reserve a numbered copy and have it shipped here. I would of course pay for the shipping and extra for an autograph and extra for the numbered copy...

I have my other two books signed since you came to cherry creek mall in Denver... but unless you make a trip to the mall of america anytime soon... I won't be able to get MB2 signed. Any suggestions to this?
Dude, no no really, DUDE!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 04:17:45 AM »
Brandon does (or did?) have relatives in the twin cities area, so it doesn't  seem impossible that he will be up there again sometime in the future.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 04:53:16 AM »
A new car would be nice.

Course it might be hard to fit in the store.

Some of your older promotional materials might be nice. Like those posters you carry with you to signing. I don't know how many of those you have, but they would make a cool prize.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 05:25:31 AM »
Our Uncle live there, it's a nice city though recently I rarely see anymore then the airport.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Thor_Doomhammer

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 06:19:52 PM »
The manuscripts sound like they'd be cool- and posters are always good. Anything that you can't just walk into any old store and buy usually makes a good prize for stuff like that.

As for the Mistborn 2 Pre-release party:

I'M COMING!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 06:29:06 PM »
You could also do the ablitiy to read MB3 as soon as we're done with two.  Or you could try talking to Walden and seeing if they'd give you a couple of giftcards to give out.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 05:03:21 PM »
How long do these events usually last for?

A few buddies and I are thinking of driving up from Denver, and are debating if we should just spend the night there or drive back afterwards.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 05:32:41 PM »
I didn't go to it but I think the last one was around 3-4 hours.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 05:51:34 AM »
I'm thinking I'll bring a Mistborn 3 manuscript.  We'll see what my publisher says about that.  The gift cards idea is a good one too.  I'm totally out of posters right now, but maybe there will be one at the signing.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch