Author Topic: HP: DH Release party  (Read 2650 times)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
HP: DH Release party
« on: July 19, 2007, 01:14:18 AM »
I was just wondering what the plan for the HP release party was?  I've heard about all sorts of stuff that's going on, and was wondering how you'll fit in and if your going to dress up... (Guilty of being a huge Potter geek...)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: HP: DH Release party
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 05:39:29 AM »
Also, is anyone else going?
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 04:34:48 PM »
I'll be in Idaho, unfortunately. Although apparently I'll be at the B&N there for the release, since that's where the rest of my family will be.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 05:04:14 PM »
I would have loved to go, but will be out of town as well.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 02:05:01 PM »
You know, I considered dressing up--but in the end, decided that I should maintain a sort-of-professional air when talking about books.  It's kind of hard to take a guy seriously when he's dressed up like Dumbledore or Hagrid, even if it IS a HP release party.

So, I'll just be hanging out there in my chair, maybe doing readings for some of the kids.  We'll see. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 05:40:24 PM »
Plus if you did dress up you know there's a certain segment that would never let you live it down.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 06:13:04 PM »
If i didnt still have those recurring nightmares from working HP6, I would go.  I get a little twitchy just thinking about it...

On another point, if EUOL has Alcatraz samples to give away, this would be a good time.  Ride the tide baby!!!
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 11:17:04 AM »
It went really well.  FirstRainbowRose showed up, as did Goradel, Oldie Locks, 42, and others.  I'm worn out, thought.  We stayed until almost three.  Handed out a lot of Alcatraz pamphlets, sold some books, had some fun. 

Now, if I can just finish HP7 before someone spoils it for me....
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 05:18:06 AM »
Did you do a reading? Or did you only attract the attention of shoppers who happened to wander by your table?

Karen has been reading the book for the last 7 hours or so. I may get to start it later tonight. ;)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 06:12:19 AM »
The HP release party was rather crazy. There were at least 2,000 people, which I'm sure greatly surpassed building's maximum occupancy (good thing Provo's fire marshal was proably too busy waiting in line for his copy). It was very loud and the buildings AC must of been pushed to it's limit. A lot of people had been in the store for several hours. They all kinds of events going on. Kind of an odd combination of a block party, town fair, rock concert, and book club all in one.

Brandon really could have spent a good ten hours there and still only gotten to a fraction of the people there. I think passing out the sample chapter of Alcatraz was a good move.

I need to get back to my copy of the book.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 06:32:02 AM »
Enjoy it.  Have a box of tissues nearby towards the end if you are likely to cry at all... that' s all I'm going to say on the matter.