Author Topic: Creation of a Seon  (Read 2427 times)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Creation of a Seon
« on: June 20, 2007, 08:31:28 PM »
Okay, so I was re-reading Elantris, and came up with this idea for a fanfic.  I hope I got Hrathen right... but I doubt it.  Anywho, please tell me your thoughts.

---

The priest sat in a room full of pure light.  It was rather plain, consisting only of a desk of a white wood, and a chair on each side.
   A door he hadn't noticed opened, and a man stepped through.  There wasn't anything unusal about the man beyond that he radiated with an unknown power.  Thinking about it for a second he realized it was like the AonDor that the Elantris had used, but rather than being something that strugged to get out, it just seemed to flow through him.
   “My Lord Jaddeth?” the priest asked hesitantly.
   “I go by many names Hrathen.  But yes, I am equal to the one your people call that name.”  The man replied, stepping behind the desk and sitting down in the other chair.  At hearing his words, Hrathen dropped to his knees and bowed his head.  “Please, my child, sit.”
   Looking up, he saw the man smile and motion for him to return to his seat.  He did as he was bid, confused.  Squaring his shoulders, he waited to be judged.  After a few moments of silence, he said, “My Lord, I know I was wrong in betraying your ways, and your land of flesh.  I know I should have just listened to what your servant Grador Delif commanded, but I couldn't stand for killing people when I could have converted them without the bloodshed.”
   “Be at peace my child.” His lord said, raising a hand as if to stop him from talking.  “I have watched over your actions, and know your intentions.  I saw how you were first filled with light and understanding, and how you caused an entire nation to turn on itself.”  Hrathen cringed slightly in guilt as he was told of what he had done.  Before he was able to say anything to defend himself, he heard Jaddeth continue, his tone slightly softer.  “I also watched as you promised yourself that with your new assignment you would not make the same mistakes.  I saw when you learned to trust in yourself and do what you felt was right, even if it was wrong to all of those around you.  And I saw when you learned to love, and I was proud.”
   Hrathen looked into the other man's eyes in surprise at the final words.  The compassion and love he saw there startled him.
   “My Lord, I don't understand.  I was always told that you were the great punisher, the one who would reward those who served you best, and punish any who oppose you or did not treat you with the respect you deserve.”
   “I told you before that I am called by many things.  I am the one who listens to the prayers addressed to Jaddeth, but I also listen to those addressed to Domi and DoMin.
   “Hrathen of Fjordell, you were once a Gyorn of your religion, and in this position you committed many grievous sins.  However, not all is lost.”
   The priest furrowed his brows.  “My Lord?”
   “Because you have shown a true remorse for your actions, I believe there is a way you could redeem yourself.  I would like you to become a Seon.  You would be charged with guiding and serving whomever you are given to, and guide them through life.  If you serve well in this task, I will consider your soul repented, and allow you to abide with me in my palace.  Would you like to take this opportunity.”
   “Yes my Lord.  Thank you.”  Hrathen replied, eyes brimming with tears of gratitude.
   “Very well then.  I want you to focus on protecting the child I am going to assign you to.  With all your prior training, I'm sure it will be no problem.”  He replied, smiling.

---

On the side of the mountain above Elantris, a pool of blue water stirred slightly, and out came a small ball of light, with the Aon Edo at it's center.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

dawncawley

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Creation of a Seon
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 07:53:10 PM »
Interesting. I am not sure what else to say about it just yet, but I will give it some time, and undoubtedly another read through, to form a more complete opinion. I am a pondering sort, sorry for that. But, I think it is a very interesting idea.

Comatose

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 10:23:46 PM »
I thought it was a really interesting spin on Brandon's story, I commend your creativity.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 07:31:13 AM »
Cool idea! I'm glad you posted that. It's always fascinating to see how people interpret my work.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 06:13:19 PM »
Thank you all for your comments.  I'm gald it was something new... and I'm expecially honored to have gotten your comments EUOL.  (And slightly shocked since you said you never read the fanfics.  Still, not complaining.)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"