Author Topic: Pandora Internet Radio  (Read 4199 times)

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
Pandora Internet Radio
« on: June 27, 2007, 08:27:41 PM »
So is there anyone out there that isn't taking advantage of the amazing amenities that  Pandora Internet Radio has to offer?  A friend of mine told me about it a couple of months ago, and I only now thought to say anything on TWG.  You get to customize radio stations to the kinds of music that you like.  Pandora will try out other bands/songs/music similar in type/style/genre to what you say you like.  It's pretty slick and I listen to it just about everyday.  The website it pandora.com   Thought some people here might be interested.  Anyhow, happy listening.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Pandora Internet Radio
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 08:38:24 PM »
hrm. I might do it to try and find new music, but my mp3 collection is approaching 110 gigs. I get plenty of variety just using winamp

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 05:56:46 AM »
I've been using Pandora for a long time to play music at the homes of other people, but when I'm at home I have enough music that selection isn't an issue.  I do really love the Pandora podcasts, though.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 05:44:11 PM »
I keep getting emails from Pandora saying they're going to close their doors if the internet music laws/payment requirements that are in legislation now don't get changed.

That would be sad.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 06:29:49 PM »
Soundexchange (the board that licenses music for the labels) have said they won't increase the amount they're charging for Internet radio (which would put everyone out of business) if the company add DRM to help prevent Stream Ripping.

While the tack is of course heavy handed (do this or we'll charge you 10x more) I'm personally surprised there is no DRM on Internet Radio and is the one place where DRM actually makes sense to me, it's free and the quality is the same as if you bought it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 06:40:30 PM »
How expensive/hard would it be to add DRM to the streams?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 07:14:09 PM »
Not sure on the expense but it wouldn't be hard to implement, though a lot of fans of Internet Radio are of the same group that loath all DRM and there are radio stations that might refuse on "principle" but they've lost in court already over the price increase so I think you'll see most go that way.

You can read about it here http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070719-dima-soundexchange-is-leveraging-absurd-fees-to-push-drm.html
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.