Author Topic: I completely hate fantasy...  (Read 5486 times)

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
I completely hate fantasy...
« on: June 09, 2007, 05:54:34 AM »
was would I would have said 6 monthes ago before I read Mistborn.

And OH MY GOSH, I was definately wrong. Back in September '06, I was talking about A Brave New World and how I wanted to read it, and this kind of... odd girl, you might say, suggested that I read Mistborn, she had just finished it and really liked it. I nodded and wrote it down to make her happy, but I never actually thought I'd read it. But, this girl, oh she was persistant I'll give her that, every week until Winter Break she would ask, "Have you read Mistborn yet?" and I would always reply, "No... I haven't been to the library." I lied like a rug, I went to the library all the time.

But, during Winter Break after some trauma with my firends, I wanted to get a huge stack of books to distract me, when I remembered Mistborn. I was like... ok, I'll TRY it. So I picked it up and brought it home. I started to read it  the first night and I had very critical thoughts about it which gave me a mind block not enabling me to even understand the prologue. I sighed and set the book aside for a week. The annoying public library gave me a call reminding me that some of my other books were due and I remembered I still had not finished Mistborn. I remember debating to just give up, I had my Harry Potter, thats as far as i would go with fantasy. But, I don't like caving in so I gave Mistborn another try.

And I completely understood it this time around, so I read a couple chapters and I really had to tear myself away so I could get some sleep. But, the next day as I was going to bed, I did not even hesitate in the slightest to pick up the book and read. I got half way through it, I think, before I knew I had to go to bed. The next night, I opened to where I left off and at the point where I usually go to bed, I hit a peak in the book where I could not take my eyes off the words. I stayed up all night reading the book and I shut it at seven AM feeling more satisfied then any other book since Harry Potter.

Since then I have recommended the book to all my friends who, lemme just say, do not read (we're cheerleaders, it's not THAT unexpected) I have only convinced one of them to read Mistborn and that is because I went to the library and checked out the book again and gave it to her. (She's about to start reading it more now that finals are over)
I seriously love Brandon Sanderson's books, or ebooks or whatever everything else is, none of them remind me of the others which I find completely refreshing. I have to say I'm addicted and, oh my gosh, I can't wait for (a) the sequal to Mistborn to come out and (b) My friend to finish Mistborn so I can reread it.

So basically.... I just want to say that because of Brandon Sanderson's writing, I've become the reader that I used to be. I now visit the library regularly because Mistborn, mostly (Elantris was good too but I REALLY LOVED Mistborn), has reminded me how much I love reading, and how much I love finding a great book. So... basically... yea =] (I know what a sucky ending for that whole speech/rant/whatever, not all of us can be super-awesome writers)
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: I completely hate fantasy...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 06:47:30 AM »
Still, that's a super-awesome story! Every writer dreams to have that kind of effect on someone.

Brandon is chock-full of great ideas and he writes dang fast. Stay tuned for book after book after book. (Not all in one single unending series, thankfully! Brandon writes in very satisfying chunks, unlike some people I won't name...)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Goradel

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 09:04:52 PM »
One more person falls into Brandon’s evil plot to deprive unsuspecting people from sleep.
I'm famous

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
What a great story!
~금강산도 식후경~

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 04:54:07 PM »
That reminds me, Brandon, did you ever get your teen cheerleader sister to read Elantris or Mistborn? You know, you've already done epic fantasy and young adult, maybe you should try something along the lines of Sweet Valley High next. ;p
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 05:33:23 PM »
There's a number of manga that would be very similar...

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 04:10:20 AM »
Actually, I got into Manga shortly after I read Mistborn and yess... i do like it
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 07:55:08 PM »
Tage,

Nah, never got her to read a single darn one.  However, she's coming to the dark side.  Just left her sensible major to become an art major instead.  Perhaps there's hope for her yet.

Notxaxlie,

That's a very cool story to hear!  I have a similar story with a book I read when I was in my teens.  (Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly.  Totally sucked me into reading.)  I'm sorry to take so long to respond--went on vacation, then got lazy, but I did read your post and it made my day. 

Keep Reading!
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Ratlord12

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 05:56:09 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if writers get tired of praise from generic people, no matter how uplifted the writer was when he/she first heard 'I love your book'. Maybe they just lie and say thanks for the kudos so fans don't desert them. Perhaps BS is BSing us...

But even so, that was the inspiring sort of thing writers aim for. Good tale, notxaxlie.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 07:59:03 PM »
BS doesnt BS about that sort of thing.  He's not an ass like some authors I know.  One of the reasons Brandon has had success is because he is genuinely thrilled that people like his stories.  It isnt an easy thing to get published, much less actually sell the books after they DO get published.  So when people have fantastic experiences like the one above (great experience!), many authors love it - like Brandon.  I have had many candid discussions with him over the past few years, and the one thing that he has never EVER complained about is a surplus of great stories of people reading his stuff.  It motivates him.  We have talked often of how reading is in decline, and how awesome it is that his books (along with those of other authors) have motivated people into reading more - my father included.  If I could get anything published at all and have even a 10th of the readers Brandon has and have even one story like the one related above, I would be in paradise.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

HANNIBALELANTRIAN

• Level 2
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 08:14:40 PM »
Great story, notxaxlie! It's good to know that there are some kick a$$ intelligent cheerleaders out there! Nerdy fantasy guys will now never give up hope ;)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 06:30:28 AM »
hehehe. There you have it, the perfect cover line for one of Brandon's new books:

"He's not an ass like some authors I know."
--Not Bookstore Guy Anymore
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 04:10:35 PM »
hehehe. There you have it, the perfect cover line for one of Brandon's new books:

"He's not an ass like some authors I know."
--Not Bookstore Guy Anymore

First acknowedgments, now coverquotes...tomorrow, THE WORLD!!!!!  MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 09:51:30 PM »
So my internet friend told me today that she decided to go to the library and get a Brandon book, since I've been raving about them so much. She was complaining that she couldn't get one cause the waiting list was so long. Just thought You'd all like to know that. :)

KindaChang

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 04:38:07 AM »
hehe, when Mistborn 2 first came out I eagerly went to my local bookstore and searched the shelves. Nothing. Searched the new releases and nothing. So I go into a line for the service desk and overheard some conversations. Turns out everyone in a line of 9 people were waiting to put their names down to get additional copies ordered.  ;D