Games > Role-Playing Games

1st ed. DnD

(1/3) > >>

Eagle Prince:
I was reading this post on Enworld basically on how fast you would level in 1st dnd compared to 3rd edition.  Basically it just did a side-by-side using published adventures, and it looked like you'd level up just as fast in the original dnd compared to the current edition.  The older adventures also gave way more money in coins, and probably about the same in magic items (from what I could tell).  42 ran us through two of those adventures using 3rd ed. characters, and it looked like our game matched up to the average results that the comparison was showing.

Spriggan:
Another big difference was that you got exp for treasure found as well as for killing, that really boosted leveling in earlier edtions.

Mr_Pleasington:
Ah, the good old days...xp for treasure.

That brings back memories.

Eagle Prince:
I probably played the old TMNT more than 1st edition, but if I have the facts straight, I think you got 1 xp for every 1gp of treasure you found, excluding magic items.  For those, you'd either idenify and sell them, and the whole group would get a certain amount of XP, or someone could use the item, and they would get XP for using it.  I think at least half of the XP you got was from treasure, killing monsters didn't give much XP.

When 42 pulled out his old books, another thing I thought was interesting was fighters and dwarves had an ability that dealed double damage when making a mounted charge with a lance, or double damage when using a spear set against a charge.  Now those are just interent to the weapons, but in 1st ed. they were actual class abilities.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
you got set xp for finding magic items, then you could sell them if'n you want at whatever market conditions the DM set.

It was a good way to give XP for avoiding monsters instead of just killing everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version