Author Topic: Blog.twg  (Read 3171 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Blog.twg
« on: May 16, 2007, 09:35:31 PM »
So I'm going to set up a blog sytem for TWG using the engine I have for brandon's site and wanted to get some feed back before doing so.

1) Front page:  I'm thinking of placing the recent blog posts under the poll and widning that column some, this would probably just display titles and the blog name.

2) Deparment: same thing, place the blog on the side but maybe with more text.

3) Blogs themselfs:  Allow naming of blogs so more then one can be set up, there won't be deparment only blogs but blog posts relating to a deparment will show up on that deparment's page.  There will probably be a blog deparment too that will show intros to all the blog postings as well as a calender system.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Blog.twg
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 12:45:23 PM »
Is it possible that a blog could have a title associated with a user, so that every time I make a blog post it titles it "Misdirected Hostility" and every time Fell posts a blog it says "I will Eat Your Socks."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 05:04:44 PM »
I could do that but I was going to set it up where you selected blogs from a drop down, my understanding is we'd all be posting in the same CoH blog, but I can combine it where you default is the one selected (so Misdirected Hostility for you) and if you wanted to cahnge it you could.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 07:56:25 PM »
I'm Bob Bennet, and I endorse this message.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 08:54:37 PM »
Ok so now that the stamp of approval (which should be a superhero name in CoH) has been given I've got the new database stuff set up and I'm hoping to have a beta up before Monday.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 01:57:24 AM »
TWG now has an image uploader for certain users.

Right now this is for blog users only since right now that's Admins only, we're going to be testing this and let me have some time to refine a few things (like add Sepia conversion for the new site design) before we possibly open this up for regular reviews and articles.  If we do open it up it will be at invite only meaning mods and staff as well as those of you who only occasionally write reviews but have been around for quite some time (like Jeffe).

This feature automatically generates a thumbnail based off of the size you select (there are 6), then saves both the original file and the thumbnail to the server in a folder that has the uploader's name, the file name is also converted to a unixtime stamp so there's no chance of duplicate file names.

After the images are uploaded the script returns their urls as well as a link (using the thumb as the link and the original as the destination) in an easy copy and paste format so you can upload the image then just paste the link into your article.

I know this is something that many of you have wanted for quite some time, not sure when we'll open this up to articles but I would like at least a week or two of testing (which would probably be a few blog posts).

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 01:59:12 AM »
Blog department URL:
http://www.timewastersguide.com/department/Blogs

Right now there are only test posts as we haven't started using these yet.

This department is a test for how the deparment pages will start to work, so after things are to where Fell, SE, Nessa and I want them I'll port features over.

The blog department is a little different then the other departments because there are specific blogs inside of the department itself.  So TWG Development blog is a specific blog name.  When you goto the main blog page you see all blog posts from every blog listed by date (other methods will follow) you can choose to continue viewing all the blog posts or you can select to view posts from a specific blog by clicking on that blog name in the blurb or via the sort sidebar.

Next is categories, this is something that will be ported over to departments, these are defining keywords of a post by clicking on a category the site will show you blurbs of all the blog posts that are in that category, you can also sort by multiple categories by adding a "-" between category numbers in the URL.  There's no limit to how many you can sort by but as of now you cannot specific those categories only, so if you have 3 categories listed to sort by the site will display all posts that have those categories even if they have other categories, eventually you'll be able to sort by either method but I'm adding that feature at a later date.  Same with being able to use the sort sidebar to add or remove categories from the sort query, that's going to be a little ways off too but I thought people would like to know about the manual method since it's implemented.

Also you'll eventually be able to view category returns for a specific blog since as of now it only works for all blogs.

Each blog will have it's own form thread for comments and the thread will be automatically linked at the end of each post, we decided to do it this way instead of one forum thread per blog post because we're not sure how many comments we're going to have and Fell and I don't want a lot of empty post threads.  This could change depending on how popular the blogs become.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 02:10:34 AM by Spriggan »