Author Topic: Vampire idea help  (Read 4938 times)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Vampire idea help
« on: May 16, 2007, 04:17:14 PM »
I'm hoping this is the right section for this.  I'm coming up with a vampire story and I need a way for vampires to be made that isn't from being fed on by a vampire. I don't like the idea of vampires being born as vampires either.  Does anyone have any ideas?
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Vampire idea help
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 04:37:52 PM »
Depending on your setting and everything, it could be some sort of rare disease/virus, in which case it could be contracted by the normal virus ways--getting it in your blood stream somehow.  Depending on how prevalent vampires are in your world, the disease could be anywhere from easy to hard to contract.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 06:22:01 PM »
Yeah, that's how "I am Legend" took care of it.  Some disease that was dormant when spread in the wind that became active once it got into your bloodstream.  Mabey it could be a parasite that the vamps implant into you.  The parasite could wrap around the victim's heart and grow to maturity.  So, a budding vampire could be "un-vampirized" if caught early enough.  Wodden stakes would have to be made of a special type of wood.  Has a special sap in it that is an anticoagulant for the parasite's blood.  Eh, I'm rambling now...
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 07:11:14 PM »
I guess there are a couple of ways that you can look at this. I think it depends on what sort of vampire mythos you want to follow.

There is the virus/bacteria theory of becoming a vampire--where vamparism is more like a disease.

There is being fed on by a vampire--which makes vampires what? Leftovers.

There is being born a vampire--the whole children of Lilith, Satan, etc...

There's also the pact with the Devil version--making vampirism a cult.

The alien or ancient parasite/creature method with humans serving as the host race.

There's marrying a vampire--not very commong but fortunately vampires can be both polygamous and androgynous.

There is also the curse of vamparism--malicious beings turn people into vampires through sorcery.

Then there is the ecclectic approach where you use multiple methods and leave it vague which method is the true or original method.

I think it matters as to what kind of story you are going to write, since some of the methods are more scientific and other more mythical.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 12:43:55 PM »
I'm going to sound like the pooh-pooher, but my vote is don't do a vampire story. I'm so very tired of them.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 05:18:28 PM »
I'm probably not going to actually write this story for a long, long time, but it's stuck in my head right now and it really bothers me that I can't figure out how these vampires are made.  I want it where any one vampire can only feed on certain people that have the right "blood type" and vampires are always looking for the a closer blood match, something along the line of how close organ donors have to be.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 07:46:26 PM »
SE may be sick of them, but lots of other people like them.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 10:11:59 PM »
The Palladium system was always cool, where it's a parasite that transforms the afflicted and then a true vampire is a Cathuluu-esk creature that creates the parasites and controls the vampires psychically.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 05:07:52 PM »
Depending on your setting and everything, it could be some sort of rare disease/virus, in which case it could be contracted by the normal virus ways--getting it in your blood stream somehow.  Depending on how prevalent vampires are in your world, the disease could be anywhere from easy to hard to contract.

Would you consider the things in The Cave to be vampires?  Were they created by a virus or a parasite passed by violent contact?
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 10:04:17 PM »
What are the rules of your vampires?  Can they go out in sunlight?  Do they have fangs that come and go?  Can they shape shift?  What are rules of the vampires of your universe.  I think that would help us be able to help you a bit more.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

demon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 02:37:17 AM »
ive always had a view of vampires of my own.

in my mind if i wrote somethign on vampires, why couldnt they have evolved ?  they could be the missing link  or something.  evolution... just my thoughts though.
Hope never dies

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 03:33:49 AM »
What if Vampire's come from accidents, like a fall from a high place bumps something in their brains that triggers it.

or blood transfusions turn out to have a rather nasty side effect that no one fore saw (that looks wrong... foresaw, hmm well anyway) ... except Jehovah's Witnesses  ;)

hmm, yeah that's all I can come up with off the top of my head, but wait I'll be up all night thinking about this now. Maybe tommorrow I'll have something good.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 05:22:36 PM »
So I think I came up with how I'm going to do this.  There are squishy beings that use dead human bodies as hosts because they themselves don't have skeletons for protection so they use human ones.  They are able to put dead bodies into a sort of stasis to keep them from decaying but they're sensitive to sunlight because of the damage it does to skin cells which they have a hard time healing.  They drink blood in order to maintain the body they inhabit.  Does that sound workable to people?  It would mean they can't shape-shift but they can develop telepathic abilities as they learn to utilize the entire human brain instead of just the usual 10% or whatever humans use.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 08:03:20 PM »
that is much more original than your typical vampire, but5 it also makes sense.

It also sounds a little like my zombie ideas for my current spewings, but not a lot.

DO they have fangs? If so, where do they come from?

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 10:07:41 PM »
It kinda sounds a little like something I read from Anne McCaffery, but, you know... not  :). interesting.