Author Topic: Site Categories  (Read 3299 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Site Categories
« on: May 11, 2007, 11:24:47 PM »
As some of you may have seen we've started to rework our department pages, right now everything is listed in the order it was submitted and I want to change that but to allow for some sorting.  But to do this in a way that will satisfy everyone I need to add categories to the site, these aren't department (all thought departments are categories) but instead things like Genre, keywords and the like. 

So what I'm asking is for people to start listing words they think of when they read certain articles on how they'd classify that material they're reading in this thread.

Thanks all.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Site Categories
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 04:58:16 AM »
Um, I'm a little confused, but that isn't new.

You mean, for example, in the Books department, you want to be able to sort different ways? I vote for:

*alphatically by title
*alphabetically by book author (last name)
*date of publication (when the book was published, not when the review was posted)
*review vs column

I don't think genre would be necessary in the Book department, because you could split into sci fi vs fantasy, but then there are crossovers, so that wouldn't work.

I don't really look at the other departments, except for movies, which I would only need to sort:

*alphabetically by title
*release date
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 04:59:48 AM »
oh not just that way nessa but actual categories like in blogs (you can look at brandon's at www.brandonsanderson.com/blog.php) or something like www.joystiq.com to get what I'm talking about.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 05:01:19 AM »
OH! Well, I don't know then. I'll need to think about it some more.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 05:04:08 AM »
Yep, there's a lot of possibilites.  These are going to replace the meta feild in the article edit/submit page.

Why I'm asking people what they'd use as categories is I want to make sure what I end up using are the most common words that our readers use, I could choose them all but I could be off on what key words people are looking for and it could frustrate people.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 01:35:10 PM »
company names (Tor, Wizards of the Coast, Wizkids, etc), system titles (D&D, GURPS, et al), genre (Science Fiction, Steampunk, Fantasy)

That's what comes to mind immediately.