2 (15.4%)
Sandman
1 (7.7%)
Mary Jane
3 (23.1%)
That annoying marketing guy in J.J.J.'s office
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Spider-Man 3 (no spoilers yet)  (Read 4450 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Spider-Man 3 (no spoilers yet)
« on: May 04, 2007, 07:23:44 PM »
So I just saw it. Very enjoyable. Working on a review.

RT has it at 62%. I understand a number of the complaints though the majority of them seemed less important to me having seen it than it was for the critic. Some of the critics are just... being silly.

Anyway, thoughts? opinions? Smart remarks?

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Spider-Man 3 (no spoilers yet)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 12:18:05 AM »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 05:09:43 AM »
So I saw this today as soon as I could get out of my work conference in Logan.

I found the movie to be entertaining. I also agree with most of what SE has to say. The only acception is that I really liked most of the acting in this movie. With the exception of a few of Dunst and McGuire's scenes that are just too melodramatic, and the bridge scene is just awful. However, they have some other scenes that are really good. One of my favorite, and most surprising, returning performances is that of Peter's landlord's lanky daughter. I agree that James Franco and Topher Grace give great performances. I also liked Thomas Handen Church's performance.

Mostly, I found the movie to be a lot of really great scenes that only loosely tied together. I also felt that the dance scenes were hilarious, even when they were trying to be serious.

The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 04:57:09 AM »
Wow. This is so funny. My friend saw this on Friday night, and he absolutely hated it. He's an artist, film-maker, and writer--very much a storyteller. From a story-telling perspective, he said it was awful. Apparently the entire audience he was with hated it too. No one believed the characters or lines, and a few times people even said, "Oh, come on, you have to be kidding me!" From the way he described it, it sounded like a movie full of cliches and bad acting. He said they used every cheat in storytelling--amnesia, "chance" coincidences, sudden love triangles, and resurrecting a villian (Peter's uncle's killer--the fact that it became "really someone else" is irrelevant).

Now I may have to see it myself. Paul, my friend, loved both of the first movies. He was really looking forward to this. I didn't want to go on the opening night--he went with other people. So, it was a huge disappointment to him.

But you two really liked it. So, I'll have to see it and decide for myself. However, after hearing Paul's description, I'm going to wait for the DVD. It's not worth $9.50 to me to risk it--because everything he said were things I worried about just from the preview.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 06:06:35 AM »
. No one believed the characters or lines, and a few times people even said, "Oh, come on, you have to be kidding me!" From the way he described it, it sounded like a movie full of cliches and bad acting. He said they used every cheat in storytelling--amnesia, "chance" coincidences, sudden love triangles, and resurrecting a villian (Peter's uncle's killer--the fact that it became "really someone else" is irrelevant).

Welcome to comic books.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 02:10:53 PM »
Yeah, I have to wonder how much superhero stuff he reads. He sounds very unfamiliar with the conventions of superhero/comic book storytelling. I didn't find it as loose as 42, but certainly it is less tight than the first two. And there's only one love triangle. I suppose you could try to make out another pattern a "love triangle" but in doing so you set it up for weakness.

I almost mentioned the dance scene in the review. But to be honest, when I saw what was coming, I decided to relieve myself of the large coke I had drunk. What little I saw of it didn't seem like it was goign to be too serious. Since I missed most of it, I didn't bring it up.

And it sounds like Paul went to the theater with a bunch of jerks. To say that out loud would only interfere with someone else's enjoyment. It may not be stage theater, and therefore less upscale, but there's common courtesy to be observed as well.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 10:24:30 PM »
I found that the entire film was fun and fairly well done. I would have liked to see more depth to the symbiote, but I guess they did the best they could with that. (I mean I would have liked to see it come back with J.J.'s son from a shuttle mission.)

I would ask your friend Chimera, if he liked the new Superman movie better. If he says yes, then his opinion is invalid. Not to say that he's wrong, but c'mon. SM3 was a lot more fun/dramatic than Superman was. Seriously.

Additionally, the dancing in the jazz club was by far one of the best scenes in the movie.

You should also know that the movies have taken characters, and other elements from the comics, but they're also adding their own canon to the movies. I would hope SE would agree with me here, (but if he doesn't, he's a jerk anyways =P) but the movies would be similar to the differences between Ultimate Spider-Man and Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.

“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 11:33:32 AM »
Superheroes are myths. Thus, in my mind, the idea of "canon" shoudl be, at most, a fluid concept. No one argues which Robin Hood stories are "canon." Nor should they.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 10:22:17 PM »
$381,660,892, that's the 3-day world wide total for Spidy 3

I liked it, thought it was as good, if not better then the first spidy but not as good as spidy 2.

I think my only real complaint was Venom, they should have waited until the end to have spidy remove the black suite and then have Venom be the last thing seen before the credits, he deserved more then 20 minutes on screen.  But considering Marvel demanded he be in the movie, so Raimi's hands were tied, they did a good job.  There was a lot going on in the movie and I'm glad they tied up a lot of the loose ends from the first too.  Also they did a great job with sandman, he's such a lame character in the comics and they did a good job making him both cool and human.

Topher Grace was good in the movie, he originally was considered for Peter but lost out to McGuire, I wouldn't mind a venom movie with just him.  The funny thing I found was outside of Topher all the other people in the movie just didn't seam like they wanted to be out promoting the movie, E! had a montage of clips and McGuire, Dunst and Franco seams to loath the movie from how indifferent they were towards it and how much they didn't seam to like their parts.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 02:19:32 AM »
That's exactly what I wish about Venom. It would have improved the  film immensely to have him struggle a little more with the costume and a little less with someone else wearing the costume.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 08:36:04 PM »
OK, can someone tell me why I'm getting so ANGRY and HATEFUL toward people who review this movie so negatively? Using words like "turd" to describe it.... is that remotely fair? I mean, really.

Then there's Tom Brazelton, who's wit I normally enjoy immensely, who says this: (commense hidden possible spoiler)
[hide]a great disservice is done to the character of Spider-Man by allowing him to confront the man who killed his Uncle and forgiving him. It strips Peter of his guilt for not saving his Uncle when he had the chance. THIS IS HIS ENTIRE MOTIVATION FOR BEING A SUPER HERO![/hide]
Whaaaaat? Does he read the same Spidey as me? Because Spidey was *never* about revenge. It's never been about guilt. Ok, maybe some guilt. But it's "with great power comes great responsibility" not, "you better fight bad guys because you're a horrible person who doesn horrible things." I can't see how this comment even makes sense.

grr... Stupid reviews make SaintE angry. You no like SaintE when he's angry, he web your face up!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 09:12:50 PM »
That is a stupid review. Apparently that guy wasn't paying close attention to the movie.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 11:37:23 PM »
Well SaintE, my 4 year old loved it. He loved all the bad guys and wants to see it again now.  So for my 4 year olds review, it was Wonderful and better then the other two.  Kids know a fun movie when they see it.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 11:53:44 AM »
Where's the quote SE? It's not there if it was there before.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 02:02:32 PM »
The hide tags aren't wroking. SPrig knows what the problem and will fix it, but he's a hard worker so let's just give him time.

I'll tell you in IM.