Author Topic: Y.A.S.P... (Also known as Scribbler)  (Read 26164 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Y.A.S.P... (Also known as Scribbler)
« on: April 11, 2007, 10:48:12 PM »
...is great stuff. Mwa ha ha ha ha.

Brandon is really fleshing out his portfolio.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 09:51:43 AM by EUOL »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Y.A.S.P...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 10:57:47 PM »
You shouldn't taunt them so, Ookla. 

Of course, if they aren't watching bs.com closely, they may not even be able to figure out what you're talking about. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 11:25:54 PM »
Had you not already taunted the masses with the words said acronym stands for, I would have held my peace!

(I'll shut up now. Don't want to kill the goose.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 12:07:17 AM »
You do know that YASP means "Yaks Are Super Pretty".  EUOL's got this thing for Yaks...and we don't tend to talk about it much, kind of embarrassing to those of use related to him...not to mention weird.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 06:56:59 PM »
Yucky and Soggy Pizza. He's going into the restaurant business with a risky "reverse psychology" marketing campaign.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
Re: Y.A.S.P... (Also known as Scribbler)
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 09:58:12 AM »
So, uh, this book is now done.

Yeah.   20 days on this one, three of them Sundays (when I don't work).  One of them was today (Monday) where, being the fool I am, I set a new personal record for writing.

23,700 words, 125 pages. 

(Whew.  I've got a headache...)

Of course, it's not DONE done.  Needs to be drafted, edited, and cleaned up.  But, the rough draft is there.  Now, maybe, I can get on with Dragonsteel.  (Stupid side project book, popping out and distracting me from what I'm actually being paid to write.)

I actually hate telling people how fast some of these books come, because I don't want to look like a hack.  It's just that with me, when it works, it works.  I haven't finished a book since October/November, so it's been a while.  Good to get another one done.  Plus, it was a YA one viewpoint novel.  (100,000 words almost exactly.)  That goes more quickly for me than my Tor books. 

Still, feels really nice to have this one out of my system.  Now, we'll have to see if my agent can actually sell the blasted thing....

p.s. Time for sleep.  Sleep good.

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 04:46:28 PM »
That's got to count as some sort of mental disorder. Granted, it's a disorder that earns you money, but still...
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 07:18:52 PM »
23,700 words, 125 pages. 

I actually hate telling people how fast some of these books come, because I don't want to look like a hack.  It's just that with me, when it works, it works.  I haven't finished a book since October/November, so it's been a while.  Good to get another one done.  Plus, it was a YA one viewpoint novel.  (100,000 words almost exactly.)  That goes more quickly for me than my Tor books. 

Confused: is it 100,000 words total, and the 23,000 words came in one day? Or was it 23,700 words total for the YA? Because that seems awful short to me.

ETA: Nevermind. I just reread you post and realized you were saying that amount was your record for the day!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 07:23:28 PM by stacer »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 08:40:16 PM »
Yeah, that's one day.

I wrote from 7am until 3am.  Couldn't.  Stop.  Ending.  Too.  Close.

Then, I laid in bed, feeling like my entire brain had been sucked out.  It was the strangest feeling, like every bit of my mind had been deadened, and my head just sat there throbbing.

But, it's done now.  Huzahh!

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 08:53:16 PM »
Show off.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 10:37:29 PM »
Can't wait to read the second half. ;)

CJ Cherryh says "I wrote Cuckoo's Egg in two weeks from start to first draft, but that was after being bitten by a Brown Recluse spider and being hyped on the Medrol they gave me to counter the venom: I didn't sleep more than an hour at a time for those two weeks, and didn't leave the house or turn on the telly." Brandon does it without being hyped up on anything but the story. (Unless there's something you're not telling us, Brandon?).

How are your fingers/wrists? Any typing strain? Both times I did my a novel rewrite in a rush after procrastinating, I hurt all over. My setup isn't very ergonomic.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 10:40:39 PM by Ookla The Mok »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 01:38:25 AM »
23,700 words, 125 pages. 

The funny thing here is this is a children's book, he just needs someone to illustrate it now and is going to try and sell it to Golden Books.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 02:18:10 AM »
That's got to count as some sort of mental disorder. Granted, it's a disorder that earns you money, but still...

I'm leaning towards some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder at the moment. Generally, being a workaholic (even if you love you job) is considered a compulsion if it isn't part of personality disorder.

Interesting enough, I'm seriously considering declaring studying mental health and artistic endeavors as a thesis for graduate school research. I'll be looking for case studies then. So EUOL, just come down with something like schizophrenia or borderline personality disorder in the next year or so...
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

origamikaren

• Level 3
  • The World is Quiet Here
    • View Profile
    • tiggywinkle
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 06:00:45 AM »
He may be crazy, but the books are crazy good.  I want to play the scribbler video game which could be based on this program:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df8wAla57PI

Check out my daily poetry selection and musings at http://karenspoetryspot.blogspot.com

-Karen

vadia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 02:10:47 PM »

I'm leaning towards some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder at the moment. Generally, being a workaholic (even if you love you job) is considered a compulsion if it isn't part of personality disorder.

Interesting enough, I'm seriously considering declaring studying mental health and artistic endeavors as a thesis for graduate school research. I'll be looking for case studies then. So EUOL, just come down with something like schizophrenia or borderline personality disorder in the next year or so...

Unless it is obsessive compulsive personality disorder then he enjoys his work too much to be O.C.D.

(Technically an obsession is when one thinks of something and doesn't want to think about it, and then thinks about it again, and again and rinse lather repeat! [sometimes quite literally the last step with compulsions])