Author Topic: New pay per post system  (Read 12898 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
New pay per post system
« on: April 02, 2007, 08:38:15 AM »
As with the main site, to help Fell feed his family, we're moving to a pay-per system on the forum as well but in a more limited way.  Now any thread that has the moneybag icon requires 1 Fell Point to post in, and today is a free trial as the main site.

How do you get fell points?  Submitting articles for the main site is one way, earning awards via contests is another and for the lazy we're selling fell points for the low price of half a British Pound each, that's only 5 Pounds for 10 FP! The store will be up tomorrow and will be ran via Paypal so it's simple and easy to get your FPs.

Fell and his three kids thank you for your support in this hard time.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: New pay per post system
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 02:18:14 PM »
I heartily endorse this change, as I get a small portion of the proceeds (enough to feed my comic habit, anyway).

And, for the record, "5 Pounds for 10 FP!" is one of the most surreal phrases I've ever heard or read.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 02:32:28 PM »
Isn't there a way we can charge people just for viewing the site?

Being a public servant and student leaves me with so much extra cash lying around.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 02:50:49 PM »
We weren't going to say anything about that yet, since it's still in the planning stages, but since you brought it up, I've actually been talking with Scott McCloud about micropayments quite a bit. He and I are putting together a system that will work. The problem was getting PayPal to work with us on it. So yeah, when we have the prices down and the backend put together, instead of having to buy articles individually you can just sign up for the micropayment system and you'll be charged as you go. It will work with the forum too.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 03:34:59 PM »
Well we are going to be charging to view front page articles, you buy them as boosters, but Fell hasn't gotten back with the write-up about that.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 03:59:43 PM »
Y'know, I was wondering when you guys would get around to this. Seemed like such an obvious next step. (Though the phrase "a day late and a dollar short" comes to mind.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 04:01:17 PM by stacer »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 04:05:39 PM »
Shh.  They're trying to be creative and funny at the same time.  I say we humor them.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 04:14:42 PM »
Actually we're being quite honest about this, we've been thinking of ways to have TWG pay itself off for the past few months and this is something we've discussed quite a bit.  When Fell lost his job we started to push towards this model and this was a good balance between making house payments and not driving people away from the site. 

There aren't going to be a lot of Pay-Per-Post articles but enough that our goals can be met, and we also find paying for articles as a "booster pack" instead of an expensive monthly subscription is more in spirit with the site itself.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 04:17:11 PM »
Right. I was thinking you should have done this years ago.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 10:45:06 PM »
Hah. Now I just have to find stuff I want to write reviews of... Any suggestions there? I know there are reviews of games, both video and tabletop, and movies, and books, but is there an area that is generally lacking in reviews, or should I just write by ear, as it were?

Will it cost a Fell Point per post, or will it just require a certain number of FP to post in a given forum or article?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 10:46:54 PM by Qarlin »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 12:52:29 PM »
We are lately lacking reviews on most anything game related. That's what we'd prefer.

But we'll take anything, really.

The charge will be by post. So posting in a thread more often does not save money over posting in many threads.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: New pay per post system - April Fools
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 08:31:41 PM »
Man this was a disappointed April Fools.

Maybe if those lazy-sacks-of-crap SE and Fell actually did something for it instead of just piling everything on me at the last minute it would have tricked more then one person.

shessh.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 02:17:35 PM »
Whine whine whine.
Maybe if you had a life you wouldn't have time to do all the stuff. It's your own fault for being available to do it.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 05:00:23 PM »
You know, I'm really sick of you and Fell taking my willingness to help for granted, I do all the work and you two get all the money and review materials.  I haven't gotten anything in a year and somehow you just bought a new PC, which I know you can't afford, and Fell has got all his toys he's been buying even though he doesn't have a job.

You guys are taking me for granted and I'm thinking without me there wouldn't be any TWG or money to line your pockets.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 05:17:19 PM »
oh geez. Have you heard the words "tax return?" Like I get that much from TWG.

I'm pretty sure that I could code it. But you *wanted* to do it. remember? You can put it in your little portfolio.