Author Topic: Campbell Award  (Read 5751 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Campbell Award
« on: March 30, 2007, 09:00:10 PM »
Well, I'm nominated again this year.  Huzzah!  Thanks to everyone who nominated me.

The sad news is that, for the second year in a row, I'm up against a powerhouse nominee.  Naomi Novik has a book nominated for the Hugo, as well as being nominated herself for the Campbell.  It's exactly the same situation I was in last year with Scalzi, except--if possible--Naomi has a LARGER fanbase with an even more widely distributed book (three of them, actually.)  My chances on the award are very, very slim--but I do get another Hugo pin, and feel quite honored to have been nominated. 

Full list here:
http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/008804.html#008804

Wiki on the Campbell:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W._Campbell_Award_for_Best_New_Writer
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Campbell Award
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 09:33:48 PM »
You know Ninja Monkeys could make this problem disappear.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 10:00:58 PM »
Ha!  But then Sigyn would kill ME for making Naomi disappear, thereby stopping her from publishing more books. 

I've been poking through archives and looking at old Campbell winners, and I've found that my situation (a Campbell nominee who is also a Hugo nominee) isn't as rare as I might have expected.  Apparently, there's often a breakout debut novel that generates a lot of buzz and manages to get onto the 'Best novel' list. 

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 10:45:23 PM »
It's interesting that the Japanese fans apparently didn't exercise their franchise. Not a single Japanese name on the list, nor any Greg Egan book.

Congrats on the 2nd nomination. Now, if only you had MB2 and Alcatraz out before the voting deadline. ;)

Though...assuming some more Japanese fans sign up for the con ahead of time instead of waiting to register at the door, the question is...have the Novik books come out in Japan?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 01:05:06 AM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 11:25:12 PM »
Congratulations!  Thanks for not taking up the offer to make Novik disappear.  I need more dragons during the Napoleonic Wars!
If I had any clue, would I be here?

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 02:29:57 PM »
The ninja monkeys don't mind being paid for a double hit. They could take out Sigyn too.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 04:14:25 PM »
I saw the list posted and was going to post congrats, but never got around to it. So, congrats!
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 07:54:01 PM »
Cool. That's great, EUOL. Too bad about the competition, though. But you never know, you could give her a run for her money. You do blog quite a bit and Mistborn's done well and with the new one coming out, you never know...
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 08:12:53 PM »
So, did anyone go to Worldcon to see how badly Brandon gets beaten by Naomi Novik?

It just started yesterday.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 10:55:13 PM »
If it's any consolation, I heard that Temeraire (sp?) got optioned by Peter Jackson.  Oh... well... maybe that's not so much of a consolation.  But if the ninja monkeys are sent to do some dirty work, they might have to be sent Mr. Jackson's way too.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

MPlease

• Level 4
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 10:59:46 PM »
You know, while I really liked the first Temeraire book, and the second one was 'fun,' I really wasn't impressed with the third book at all. I won't pick up the fourth book when it comes out unless it gets reviews saying 'wow, this was so much better than the last one.'   I think Brandon's a much more consistently good and entertaining writer.
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 09:05:19 AM »
Awards aren't until Saturday or Sunday.  Which reminds me.  Dang!  I need an acceptor.  Uh...time to email my agent.  I'm not going to win, but hey, might as well have something written just in case.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 06:51:49 PM »
Oh, so you didn't go!

Well, the results are out (international date line and all), and Brandon got SPANKED. 4th place. :(

polaris

• Level 1
  • It's dark in here... and we may die...
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 07:24:27 PM »
Naomi Novik? Aren't those the books that treat dragons like bloody airplanes or some such?  And worse yet she sticks them in 19th century Europe.

Why isn't there a smiley to express my level of disgust? While I'm not surprised that she's nominated ((because people will read anything the the NYT claims should be a bestseller)) I'm still disappointed that she's there.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 07:29:05 PM by polaris »
Sion_of_balance wrote: You again? What are you, the plague?!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 07:50:35 PM »
Um... Did you read her books? If not, don't be so quick to diss her. Her books were very popular among the core fantasy-reading and con-going crowd, as well as among SF/F industry professionals. Not everyone can vote for the Hugo, you know, only people willing to lay out a not insignificant chunk of change.